Reload this Page >

Fahrenheit 9/11 DVD sales...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-07-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the first day of release were spectacular according to the Hollywood Reporter.

I'm watching my copy tonight. BTW, the packaging looks great and I found it on sale for $15.
Old 10-07-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

still waiting here.....

Pro-B
Old 10-07-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

do u guys think there will be a special edition of Fahrenheit 9/11 DVD next year? i know the that was released a few days ago is loaded with extras but come on! iam sure it will win an oscar...then,iam sure there will be a special edition.
Old 10-07-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by animatedude
iam sure it will win an oscar...then,iam sure there will be a special edition.
Well, get ready to be disappointed, because Moore isn't submitting it for "Best Documentary", and there is absolutely no way it will win "Best Picture". He's just controversial enough that he might get a nomination in a weak year (which this seems to be), but I'd put money against even that, myself.

Also, I can't imagine there's much more to put on the disc; Moore seemed to work really hard to make sure that there was a fully-loaded special edition available only a few months after the theatrical release, just to have it out pre-election. Why would he re-release it? Either Bush will lose the election, in which case the movie becomes a moot point, or Bush will win the election, in which case the movie lost. Neither scenario seems likely to spark a re-release, to me.
Old 10-07-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By next year the movie will already be dated, no? I mean it's not really going to have any use after the election.
Old 10-07-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, the DVD will be dated quite soon. Definitely a pop-culture doc moreso than a timeless one.
Old 10-07-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yes, the DVD will be dated quite soon. Definitely a pop-culture doc moreso than a timeless one.
I disagree. The movie is quite re-watchable and from the perspective of many it is historically important.

While this DVD is loaded with extras, another Super Special Edition just might arrive someday, regardless of who wins in November.
Old 10-07-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 sold about 2 million combined DVD and VHS units on Tuesday, its first day in release, says The Hollywood Reporter. The Day 1 sales figure and projected Week 1 sales of 3 million combined units set the benchmark as the most successful documentary ever released on home video.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/dvdnews.php?id=6668
Old 10-07-04, 12:56 PM

If Bush loses in November, no way does Fahrenheit 9/11 become a "moot point." $120M gross, all of it can be pointed to as the moment where it all started to change, even if that's not exactly true. Fahrenheit brought the issues about the Bush presidency to a...boiling point, tee hee HEE, and if Bush loses, it becomes incredibly important.

(P.S. if Bush loses, F9/11 gets the nod for Best Picture)

Later.

RJS
Old 10-07-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by robsul82
If Bush loses in November, no way does Fahrenheit 9/11 become a "moot point."
So, you don't think a movie specifically about how bad the Bush presidency is becomes moot once the Bush presidency is over? Since Moore's stated purpose is getting Bush out, the purpose of the film would be accomplished, right? What more would it do?

Fahrenheit brought the issues about the Bush presidency to a...boiling point, tee hee HEE, and if Bush loses, it becomes incredibly important.
No, if Bush loses, then it *was* incredibly important (I agree with you, it'll have that reputation, deserved or not). That's the end of its importance right there. But if Bush loses, then Kerry is the president, and everything Moore is criticizing Bush for becomes the past. If the movie were criticizing something larger than one presidency (such as the way 'Bowling' is, or at least *strives* to be, about American culture as a whole and how the guns are a symptom of larger problems), I'd agree with you. But it's not. It's specifically *not* about how Bush is a symptom of a larger problem; it's about how Bush is the largest problem around. So once that problem is gone, the most the movie could have is historical value, but it wouldn't, because of Moore's selective history.

I won't question those who say it's re-watchable, I'll just say that, for my two cents as a Moore fan, this was by far the least entertaining movie he's made, and the only time I've thought while watching one of his movies, "Wow, that's really just propaganda, huh?"

(P.S. if Bush loses, F9/11 gets the nod for Best Picture)
I wouldn't say it's a lock, but I would say that's the only way it has a chance, yeah.

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 10-07-04 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-07-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Price tags and security...

stickers are a mess. I had a bit of trouble removing the price tag from the cardboard sleeve on this DVD and I almost ruined the art. Also, my fingernails are hating those sticky black metal tabs!

Studios please help!

Last edited by Duality; 10-07-04 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-07-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

next year it won't matter now that Kerry is president
Old 10-07-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seems to me like the movie will be more significant if Bush wins the election, since we'll have to put up with 4 more years of his administration, and the things that the movie points out will still be relevant. But I'm hoping we never have to find out.
Old 10-07-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think Bush winning the election is almost a lock which means an expanded two disc version of this movie next year with an update on how he stole the 2004 election as well.
Old 10-07-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Just what will happen if Bush gets re-elected? Will the movie be seen as a flash in the pan or something that really was an important documentary.

I definitely see the chances this has as an Oscar contender being tied to the election though.
Old 10-07-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I for one think the impact of this film is very minor and I don't think it deserves Oscar consideration for Best Picture. I enjoyed the heck out of it and thought it was a great documentary showing Moore's views, but not one that would impact the country. For one most conservatives would never watch this film and if they did they wouldn't believe any of it. People need to realize that talk radio is dominated by conservates who send out their messages to millions of listeners every single day of the week. There is no way one single liberal propaganda film (as it has been called) can compete with that level of daily conservative bombardment.

Personally I think both groups preach to the choir anyway, but thats another discussion.
Old 10-07-04, 02:23 PM

Down the road despite the outcome of the election it could be renamed to "How not to run a presidency"

It's timeless
Old 10-07-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkside
I think Bush winning the election is almost a lock which means an expanded two disc version of this movie next year with an update on how he stole the 2004 election as well.
Sure, laugh now (I did when I read your post), but Moore's probably got that as his contingency plan if Bush does win...
Old 10-07-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts
The DNC bought over half a million copies of the movie for free distribution. The first day DVD sales will be dramatically inflated. Same thing happened with "Passion" with churches buying blocks, and it sold well over 4 million DVDs only (not counting any VHS) on the first day.
Old 10-07-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK kids...

let us discuss the DVD. Has anyone had any trouble finding the disc? I heard there was only a limited number pressed for this release.
Old 10-07-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: OK kids...

Originally posted by Duality
I heard there was only a limited number pressed for this release.
If that's true -- I saw plenty of copies, but I also wasn't looking to buy it, so I didn't do much shopping around or anything -- I'd bet it's either (a) they had such a short window that they could only get a certain number pressed and will put more out as neccessary, or (b) they're gonna drop the second disc the same way they did with 'Bowling'.

EDIT: actually, now that I look at the review, it does look like they could go back and double-dip it. I thought they had said this release would have a commentary track, but I don't see one. Is it even two discs? I still don't see the point of a re-release after the point where he could affect the election, but it's theoretically possible, I suppose. I just feel like Moore would be more likely to devote his time to either his next movie or getting 'TV Nation' on DVD once.

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 10-07-04 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-07-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by darkside
I think Bush winning the election is almost a lock
My grandfather had a saying (almost 15 years ago)...of some sort...which was something like this:

Dont say "whoop" before you jump!!

It does not translate well in English but I think that you could get the meaning of it.

As to the DVD a SE is most certainly on its way

Pro-B
Old 10-07-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by fryinpan1
Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 sold about 2 million combined DVD and VHS units on Tuesday, its first day in release, says The Hollywood Reporter.
1.4 million of that 2 million were sales to rental stores -- NOT end-users

http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml...toryID=6433911

Last edited by GuessWho; 10-07-04 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-07-04, 05:44 PM
Banned

OK, here's a little statistical analysis. Assuming that the Reuters article is accurate, only 600,000 copies were sold to individuals on Tuesday. Let's assume that say, another 900,000 were sold to individuals since then. That's 1.5 million. Al Gore got ~50 million votes in 2000. Assuming that 80% of them were consistent Democrats, there were 40 million Democrats voting. Assuming that a negligible amount of independents and Republicans purchased this film, fewer than 4% of all Democrats that voted in 2000 have purchased F9/11, or 1 for every 25 individuals. Factor in that fewer Democrats than Republicans live in multi-person households (gay or otherwise), perhaps 1 in 15 of all Democratic homes have F9/11. Not exactly a huge impact.
Old 10-07-04, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by demonio
next year it won't matter now that Kerry is president
We can only hope...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.