DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Which classic movie from Hollywood's "Golden Age" should get a DVD makeover?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/389440-classic-movie-hollywoods-golden-age-should-get-dvd-makeover.html)

Deco King 10-07-04 05:45 AM

Which classic movie from Hollywood's "Golden Age" should get a DVD makeover??

Which classic vintage Hollywood movie would you vote for to have a Warner Bros "Gone With The Wind" style totally remastered "all talking all singing all dancing" sooper dooper DVD makeover??

I'm looking forward to a Special Edition of Double Indemnity whenever that may be, but there are lots of movies crying out for this treatment. I would put forward King Kong, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, and the classic musicals of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, and Busby Berkeley's classic movies.

What would other fans of older movies want to get the restoration of a lifetime treatment??

sfsdfd 10-07-04 03:15 PM

Moving to DVD Talk Forum.

- David Stein

Aphex Twin 10-07-04 03:27 PM

Blade Runner

Walter Neff 10-07-04 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Blade Runner
Perhaps we need someone to define "Golden Age?"

John Hodson 10-07-04 05:32 PM

The Philadelphia Story, Public Enemy, The Roaring Twenties, Captain Blood, The Big Sleep, Stagecoach, Top Hat, Drums Along The Mohawk, The Informer, Bringing Up Baby, for starters...

wendersfan 10-07-04 05:33 PM

Erich von Stroheim's Greed
Orson Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons

I fear both are pipe dreams.

Drexl 10-07-04 05:35 PM

Fantasia could use a Lowry Digital job, but I assume that Disney is already planning to have this done for the Platinum release in a few years.

nightmaster 10-07-04 06:27 PM

I won't say they qualify for golden age.......but The Quiet Man and McLintock.

garlandtaylor 10-07-04 06:44 PM

Ummm... The Magnificent Ambersons, Raintree County, Jane Eyre (1944), The White Cliffs of Dover, National Velvet, anything Elizabeth Taylor, The Wizard of OZ, etc.

Andy

emhello 10-07-04 07:01 PM

What about The African Queen?

devilpants 10-07-04 07:26 PM

Scarlet Street directed by Fritz Lang. The few releases of this classic noir film are a travesty. A good DVD studio should pick this one up and do the film justice.

bluesparrow 10-07-04 07:43 PM

Sign of the Cross

darkside 10-07-04 07:43 PM

King Kong would be my first choice. When it finally comes to DVD I hope it is completely restored.

toccoa_winters 10-07-04 10:05 PM

The Roaring Twenties

RevKarl 10-08-04 04:16 AM

Originally posted by nightmaster
I won't say they qualify for golden age.......but The Quiet Man and McLintock.
Another vote for The Quiet Man. In addition, Columbia needs to "revisit" The Awful Truth & You Can't Take It with You and Criterion should do the same with The Scarlet Empress. All four transfers remind one of VHS EP tapes.

By the by, most film scholars would call the late-1920s to the late-1950s Hollywood's "Golden Age" (aka "The Studio Era.")

flixtime 10-08-04 06:44 AM

Not a "Golden Age" film but one of my top 5 favorites of all-time, I would love to see John Wayne's The Alamo get a full and complete restoration.

I'm sick and tired of all these "Recommended" reviews for the current DVD version. Till hell freezes over, I'll be sticking with my longer "roadshow" version recorded from the outstanding TCM.

Thank you very, very much TCM!

Heck, even the VHS version was the longer cut.

Meowza 10-08-04 07:00 AM

Sgt. York

Deco King 10-08-04 07:46 AM

Originally posted by Walter Neff
Perhaps we need someone to define "Golden Age?"
When I started the thread, what I meant by Golden Age of Hollywood, was from the nineteen twenties/thirties to the nineteen fifties /sixties. The core of this golden age for me is the sound era from the 30's to the 50's, although my tastes encompass the classic Lon Chaney horrors from the silent twenties to the animation of Disney up to 101 Dalmatians!

John Hodson 10-08-04 09:21 AM

If we're going that far I'll also give another vote to The Quiet Man, I've never seen the longer version of The Alamo so that's a given, and while we're in this territory, Fort Apache.

Falc04 10-08-04 12:22 PM

John Ford's "The Long Voyage Home"....

mwj 10-12-04 10:59 AM

The Maltese Falcon

littlefuzzy 10-12-04 12:24 PM

Lili (1953) is a wonderful movie with Leslie Caron, and the classic song "Hi-Lili, Hi-Lo" that I would love to see on DVD. This is probably my top request to be put on DVD, with Ice Pirates and Misfits of Science (TV) following close behind.

PopcornTreeCt 10-12-04 01:11 PM

Originally posted by mwj
The Maltese Falcon
:up:

obscurelabel 10-12-04 01:44 PM

Originally posted by devilpants
Scarlet Street directed by Fritz Lang. The few releases of this classic noir film are a travesty. A good DVD studio should pick this one up and do the film justice.
I've read that Kino are doing this, although I don't have a reference to support this at hand.

My vote: Nothing Sacred. This pretty fascinating article from 2000 describes a very involved restoration of the film, which like Scarlet Street is in the public domain:

http://millimeter.com/mag/video_first_person_restoring/

Scott MacQueen is senior manager of library restoration for the Walt Disney Company in Burbank, California. Phil Feiner is president/COO at Hollywood's Pacific Title & Art Studio. In 1999, both companies, along with restoration laboratory Cinetech of Valencia, California, restored the William Wellman comedy Nothing Sacred. The companies restored substantial portions of the original film, but one reel suffered damage to the point where traditional photo-mechanical and photo-chemical restoration methods were not sufficient, causing them to try a tricky digital recombination technique. MacQueen and Feiner offer Millimeter readers an inside look at the restoration process they used on reel 1A of Nothing Sacred.

etc.
My question: where's the DVD if Disney has gone to this much trouble and expense to restore the film?

signinstranger 10-12-04 02:23 PM

I'd like to see a Wheeler & Woolsey box sets. Only available on DVD now are Dixiana (Roan Group) and Hook, Line and Sinker and Half-Shot at Sunrise (both on Alpha Video, cheap but C&C tv prints).

In the 1990s Ted Turner issued a number of titles in the RKO Library laser disc collection. Among these were at least 10 Wheeler & Woolsey's, in beautiful prints with complete RKO logos.

Here's wishing ...

whaaat 10-12-04 05:35 PM

Originally posted by wendersfan
Erich von Stroheim's Greed
Orson Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons

:up: Those are my most wanted DVDs right there.

I'd also love to see Lubitsch's Merry Widow and Make Way For Tomorrow.

FilmFanSea 10-12-04 08:21 PM

My picks:

Swing Time (Stevens/1936/Warner)
Easy Living (Leisen/1937/Universal)
Make Way for Tomorrow (McCarey/1937/Universal)
Bringing Up Baby (Hawks/1938/Warner)
Stagecoach (Ford/1939/Warner)
The Maltese Falcon (Huston/1941/Warner)
The Magnificent Ambersons (Welles/1942/Warner)
The Palm Beach Story (Sturges/1942/Universal)
Double Indemnity (Wilder/1944/Universal)
The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (Sturges/1944/Paramount)
To Have & Have Not (Hawks/1944/Warner)
The Southerner (Renoir/1945/MGM/UA)
Letter from an Unknown Woman (Ophüls/1948/Universal vs Criterion)
Red River (Hawks/1948/MGM/UA)
A Streetcar Named Desire (Kazan/1951/Warner)
The Big Heat (Lang/1953/Columbia Tristar)
Johnny Guitar (Ray/1954/Artisan)
The Night of the Hunter (Laughton/1955/MGM/UA)
The Searchers (Ford/1956/Warner)
12 Angry Men (Lumet/1957MGM/UA)
A Touch of Evil (Welles/1958/Universal)

sleep 10-12-04 10:33 PM

Originally posted by whaaat
:up: Those are my most wanted DVDs right there.

I'd also love to see Lubitsch's Merry Widow and Make Way For Tomorrow.

I'd love to see Lubitsch's To Be Or Not To Be make it DVD at all.

whaaat 10-12-04 10:46 PM

Originally posted by sleep
I'd love to see Lubitsch's To Be Or Not To Be make it DVD at all.
Any Lubitsch is good Lubitsch.

I also forgot the obvious Bringing Up Baby. :)

Deco King 10-13-04 06:15 AM

Any plans for a Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers Special Edition Box Set??

Do any forum readers know if there are any plans afoot to produce a box set of the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movies from Flying Down To Rio to the RKO classics Shall We Dance etc? There is a Region 2 Box Set already out with introductions by Fred Astaire's daughter to each of four films. The set is good but there is room for improvement.

netresults 10-13-04 08:43 AM

The Informer, but a complete John Ford Collection would be wonderful.

Have you all overlooked Gigli? :eyebrow:

NetResults

littlefuzzy 10-13-04 01:13 PM

Originally posted by signinstranger
I'd like to see a Wheeler & Woolsey box sets. Only available on DVD now are Dixiana (Roan Group) and Hook, Line and Sinker and Half-Shot at Sunrise (both on Alpha Video, cheap but C&C tv prints).

In the 1990s Ted Turner issued a number of titles in the RKO Library laser disc collection. Among these were at least 10 Wheeler & Woolsey's, in beautiful prints with complete RKO logos.

Here's wishing ...

Two minds and a single thought.
Yes, it's about all they can handle at one time. - from Hips, Hips, Hooray!

I have Half Shot at Sunrise, and Hook, Line and Sinker, and I need to get Dixiana one of these days.

I have Sillie Billies, Peach O'Reno, Diplomaniacs, and Hook Line and Sinker on laserdisc, which were blind buys in a closeout sale. I am very grateful that I picked those up.

Deco King 10-14-04 05:49 AM

Early Musical Movies on DVD!!

I'd like to see the Janet Gaynor musical Sunnyside on DVD, and I hear that Warner are releasing a Busby Berkeley Box Set next year - roll on 2005!!

Banky 10-14-04 08:47 PM

Broken Arrow.

D-Ball 10-15-04 01:08 AM

Key Largo and Arsenic and Old Lace.