Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What studios or imprints do you like to collect?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-06-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would probably be kind of silly to collect something as broad as "Paramount" or "20th Century Fox," but there are some studios that people like to collect, such as Disney or Criterion. Then there are imprints, such as MGM's Midnite Movies collection, the Euroshock collection from Image (I think,) Touchstone's Vista Series, Fox's numbered series, etc.

I have collected quite a bit of Anchor Bay, especially their horror and limited edition.

I also have recently began picking up several Hammer films, mostly from Anchor Bay right now, although I have the Hammer House of Horror set from A&E.

I have a modest collection of Criterion discs, and a slightly larger collection of Disney, although that is hampered by Disney's refusal to release many films in widescreen.

I am thinking about snagging some used Midnite Movies for about $5.20 each, to start a collection of those.

I am interested in many of the films available in Universal's Franchise collection, and plan to get several sets soon.

I am interested in many of Warner Bros 2-disc sets, and I store the ones I own together, although the titles are really a bit diverse to be considered an actual collection (IMHO.)

Some of the smaller studios, especially those who seem to deal mostly in one or two genres (Synapse, Blue Underground, etc.) seem ideally suited for collecting.
Old 10-06-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like...collect movies that I like.
Old 10-06-04, 05:36 PM

first and foremost is Blue Underground. except for dupes, like the Cohen box...I collect them all. I don't just because it has a BU label slapped on...they just fit my taste to a tee. I can say the same for a few others.

X-Rated Kult Video is another....but I was late in the game on those so many are oop...but some are worth hunting down. I love the big bulky cases they come in and the artwork is always awesome, especially the nunsploitation titles. I even collected all 4 "cover" versions of the same film....just for the case artwork. I like naked titties on my case cover.

also, another big fave of which I collect everything, is Mondo Macabro. great stuff and films that are right up my alley...like the latest Lady Terminator, Aswang, Mill of the Stone Women and The Living Corpse.
Old 10-06-04, 05:59 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been tempted to collect BU, because I love them, but they've done a few that I just have no interest in.

I collect a lot of British horror/thriller stuff. I have every Hammer film available on DVD, and I believe I have every Amicus or Tigon British film.
Old 10-06-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally posted by gutwrencher
I like naked titties on my case cover..
Tell your wife to put a shirt on when she brings those DVDs out to you... or not
Old 10-06-04, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
Tell your wife to put a shirt on when she brings those DVDs out to you... or not
Old 10-06-04, 07:24 PM

I like the Fox Studio Classics line and it the only "line" that I collect. About a 1/4 of them have been blind buys for me but I've enjoyed all of them so far. Besides the movies, the extras are usually interesting and you can't beat the price. I've gotten each of my disks for less than $10. That reminds me, I have to go and pick up the Song of Bernadete/Diary of Anne Frank double pack at Costco this week.

I've also toyed with the idea of collecting the Fox Latino wave series since they are pretty cheap and generally sound interesting. I better make up my mind before I get too far behind on those.

I like the majority of the Criterion DVD's that I have seen but have no intention of collecting them all. I also like some of the Anchor Bay stuff I have seen as well but I am not a huge horror fan so I can't see collecting those. I just mainly pick and choose what I want.
Old 10-06-04, 08:39 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Blue Underground, Synapse, and Image's "Something Weird" series.
Old 10-06-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Fox. But I'm sure most of you knew that by now.
Old 10-06-04, 10:11 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Criterion - I watch for, and mostly buy, their coming releases.

Eureka - I'm going to own every single one of the Masters of Cinema line of DVDs.

Kino - I watch their label constantly, but rarely buy their discs, due to inconsistent (mostly mediocre) products.

Image - I watch their Milestone label often, even if I'm put off by the lack of availability of certain discs (McLaren), and PAL conversions in others (Edge of the World, Phantom of the Opera). Love Image's silent releases, Milestone or not.

Blue Underground - Has really started to spark my interest with the Clarke Collection, Django, Fire and Ice, and Mondo Cane, but the majority of their titles just don't interest me.

Anchor Bay - There are alot of their discs that I want, but there are even more that I don't, and their future releases seem to be leaning towards the latter. They seem more like a big studio than any other independant label. Xena Season 5, Werner Herzog, and Dawn of the Dead have nothing in common with the other, but one of them is definitely the odd (ahem) man out.

Fantoma - I just may start buying their discs with the consistency I buy Criterions. A piece of me dies every time they delay their upcoming releases, though. Where are my Anger and Dead Pigeons?!

Flicker Alley - Marvelous little label. Hope they release more than one disc a year someday.

Fox Studio Classics - Always watch the label. Lots of classic gems with fine supplements at a very low price. Some of them do look quite dull, though.
Old 10-06-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Criterion - well because.
Fox Studio Classics - some of them are fantastic, others aren't even close.
Warner Bros 2-disc - because the titles are all pretty much great and the extras are just icing.
Old 10-07-04, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by nightshadebooks
I've been tempted to collect BU, because I love them, but they've done a few that I just have no interest in.

What would those be? I am into horror and the weird, but because I took a chance on BU, I bought Alan Clarke Collection (not really horror, but since its limited. I bought it) and ordered LOVELESS and SMITHERLEENS hoping there will be something of interest to a gorehound.
Old 10-07-04, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MGM Midnite Movies
Some AB, mainly their drive-in double feature sets.
Some Criterion
Some BU
Some Elite

I'm not a completist with any of them, but those are the studios I'll look at and blind buy for if it looks half way interesting.
Old 10-07-04, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Der Zorn Gottes
Criterion - I watch for, and mostly buy, their coming releases.

Eureka - I'm going to own every single one of the Masters of Cinema line of DVDs.

Kino - I watch their label constantly, but rarely buy their discs, due to inconsistent (mostly mediocre) products.

Image - I watch their Milestone label often, even if I'm put off by the lack of availability of certain discs (McLaren), and PAL conversions in others (Edge of the World, Phantom of the Opera). Love Image's silent releases, Milestone or not.

Blue Underground - Has really started to spark my interest with the Clarke Collection, Django, Fire and Ice, and Mondo Cane, but the majority of their titles just don't interest me.

Anchor Bay - There are alot of their discs that I want, but there are even more that I don't, and their future releases seem to be leaning towards the latter. They seem more like a big studio than any other independant label. Xena Season 5, Werner Herzog, and Dawn of the Dead have nothing in common with the other, but one of them is definitely the odd (ahem) man out.

Fantoma - I just may start buying their discs with the consistency I buy Criterions. A piece of me dies every time they delay their upcoming releases, though. Where are my Anger and Dead Pigeons?!

Flicker Alley - Marvelous little label. Hope they release more than one disc a year someday.

Fox Studio Classics - Always watch the label. Lots of classic gems with fine supplements at a very low price. Some of them do look quite dull, though.
Thanks for pointing me to Flicker Alley and Eureka's Masters of Cinema Line. They both look really good. I'm definitely going to pick up Dreyer's Michael from Eureka and probably Garden of Eden from Flicker. I'll probably wait until Nov because I think this month is my most expensive DVD month ever.
Old 10-07-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BU
Mondo Macabre
Animeigo (Samurai films only, not really into anime)
MGM Midnite Movies
Doctor Who

and any sudio's DVD's of Mario Bava, Sam Peckinpah, David Cronenberg, Fritz Lang, William Castle, Anthony Mann, Ray Harryhausen, Don Knotts, etc.

And lately I've been collecting budget DVD's - specifically Alpha and Catcom!
Old 10-07-04, 11:42 AM
Cool New Member

When I said there were BU titles that don't interest me...

Originally posted by prince_of_saturn
What would those be? I am into horror and the weird, but because I took a chance on BU, I bought Alan Clarke Collection (not really horror, but since its limited. I bought it) and ordered LOVELESS and SMITHERLEENS hoping there will be something of interest to a gorehound.
Honestly, I'm not that much of a gorehound. I can't wait to get my hands on the Clarke box, but I just don't care about the Mondo Cane box, or Emanuelle in America, or Quiet Days in Clichy.

I've got the westerns they've done, the Lee Collection, I like most of the eurocrime stuff they've done. For the most part, I like just about everything they do, but not to the point of buying the ones I don't like. Uncle Sam, for example, is on the eBay pile, because I just found it rather dull and silly.
Old 10-07-04, 11:44 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by chente
Thanks for pointing me to Flicker Alley and Eureka's Masters of Cinema Line. They both look really good. I'm definitely going to pick up Dreyer's Michael from Eureka and probably Garden of Eden from Flicker. I'll probably wait until Nov because I think this month is my most expensive DVD month ever.
I think Masters of Cinema is the most exciting new DVD label to emerge in the last two years, hands down. Apart from Michael and The Holy Mountain (the Riefenstahl mountain film, not the Jodorowsky's surreal classic), they're working on Hiroshi Teshigahara's Pitfall and The Face of Another, Murnau's Herr Tartuffe, Joe May's rarely seen Asphalt, G.W. Pabst's Diary of a Lost Girl, and a brand new disc of Fritz Lang's Metropolis (correcting the framerate issues found in the previous releases).

Flicker Alley is also working on restorations of three very rarely seen films produced by Howard Hughes: Two Arabian Knights (dir. Lewis Milestone), The Mating Call (James Cruze), and The Racket (Milestone again). They'll air on Turner Classic Movies on December 15, and hopefully come to DVD soon. In the meantime, they're also working on a DVD of Murnau's Phantom. Their two current DVDs are some of the best transfers I've seen of silent films.
Old 10-07-04, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Der Zorn Gottes
I think Masters of Cinema is the most exciting new DVD label to emerge in the last two years, hands down. Apart from Michael and The Holy Mountain (the Riefenstahl mountain film, not the Jodorowsky's surreal classic), they're working on Hiroshi Teshigahara's Pitfall and The Face of Another, Murnau's Herr Tartuffe, Joe May's rarely seen Asphalt, G.W. Pabst's Diary of a Lost Girl, and a brand new disc of Fritz Lang's Metropolis (correcting the framerate issues found in the previous releases).

Flicker Alley is also working on restorations of three very rarely seen films produced by Howard Hughes: Two Arabian Knights (dir. Lewis Milestone), The Mating Call (James Cruze), and The Racket (Milestone again). They'll air on Turner Classic Movies on December 15, and hopefully come to DVD soon. In the meantime, they're also working on a DVD of Murnau's Phantom. Their two current DVDs are some of the best transfers I've seen of silent films.
These look very interesting but I don't know how many I can buy blind at that price range. I realize that they are priced that way because Eureka is a smaller label and they do a lot of restoration work but I can't personally afford to get too many of those.
Old 10-07-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I collect what I want, but I like to atleast see what Blue Underground release. Lately, I've been selling my mainstream titles to make room for my newer cult titles, and BU seems to be the ones I'm always getting. Although, some I won't buy ever, like Shape of Things to Come or the sexploitation stuff.
Old 10-07-04, 12:54 PM

I collect MGM Midnite movies. I have about 20 right now. I like them for the price (vincent and cost) and quality of the transfers. I just wish more of them had bonus features.

The double features are great deals.
Old 10-07-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved the Vista Series:
-Tombstone
-Unbreakable
-The Sixth Sense

Miramax's Special Editions also have been great:
-Clerks
-Resevoir Dogs
-Jackie Brown
-Pulp Fiction

MGM's special editions haven't been bad either:
-Dances With Wolves
-The Good The Bad And The Ugly
-Escape From New York
-Fargo

For most over the top packaging that award has to go to Universal for Scarface and Schindler's List.

Overall though I'm pretty happy with every studio's releases now days, as long as I wait for the 2 Disc SE to come out
Old 10-07-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Celestial's Shaw Brothers releases
Blue Underground
Synapse
Mondo Macabro
Unearthed
Moodyz
Old 10-08-04, 12:50 PM

I forgot about the Warner 2-diskers as they are great movies with excellent presentations. I'm getting most of these. I think I'm only missing a couple right now.
Old 10-08-04, 12:57 PM

As you probably know, almost everything.
However I prefer Image, Fox, CC, BBC, and A&E.
Austin
Old 10-10-04, 03:33 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I just picked up 3 used Midnite Movies double features:
Countess Dracula/The Vampire Lovers
The Masque of the Red Death/The Premature Burial
The Tomb of Ligeia/An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe
which brings my total collection to... 4. I already had Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

I will probably grab some of the Best Buy exclusive Midnite Movies soon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.