DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Amityville Horror Special Edition??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/388334-amityville-horror-special-edition.html)

QuiGonJosh 09-30-04 01:23 PM

Amityville Horror Special Edition???

Any word on a Amityville Horror SE? I'd really love a good SE of this flick!

steebo777 09-30-04 01:39 PM

Probably in conjunction with the remakes release in theaters or DVD.

QuiGonJosh 09-30-04 05:47 PM

ahh...whens that supposed to be released?

Buttmunker 09-30-04 06:17 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...20#post5363720

matome 12-29-04 10:32 AM

DVDEmpire has a Collector's set of the first three films up for preorder: http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...item_id=654992

Any ideas about the bonus disk and if the original is just gonna be a repack? Can't seem to find any other info on it.

DJ_Spyder 12-29-04 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by matome
DVDEmpire has a Collector's set of the first three films up for preorder: http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...item_id=654992

Any ideas about the bonus disk and if the original is just gonna be a repack? Can't seem to find any other info on it.

Meh. probably a repack when it comes to bonus materials from MGM they tend to fall short when they release their movies on dvd.

natevines 12-29-04 11:41 AM

Well, it comes with a bonus disc, so I'd presume it's just the original releases + bonus disc. Typical cheap thing to do for MGM.

Geofferson 12-29-04 11:52 AM

I hope that box set has an SE, but I doubt it.

fitprod 12-29-04 12:13 PM

According to MGM's retail website, the first Amityville Horror is the same non-anamorphic disc release from a while ago. II & III are anamorphic.

fitprod

matome 12-29-04 04:53 PM

That is pretty weak, but expected I guess. I'll have to wait and see what's on the bonus disk before I get that box set.

Cameron 12-29-04 07:55 PM

from dvd answers Picture here

MGM Home Entertainment has announced the Amityville Horror Special Edition Giftset which includes The Amityville Horror, the original blood-curdling tale about a Long Island home possessed by demonic spirits starring James Brolin, along with the prequel Amityville II: The Possession and the bone-chilling Amityville 3-D. On top of that, the set will also include Amityville Confidential, an exclusive bonus disc featuring an all-new examination of this infamous haunted house. Featuring an optional video intro and audio commentary by parapsychologist Dr. Hans Holzer, The Amityville Horror DVD also includes a new documentary entitled “For God’s Sake, Get Out!,” a sneak peek of the upcoming remake of The Amityville Horror, seven radio spots and the original theatrical trailer. The Amityville Confidential bonus disc comes haunted with sinister documentaries, including Amityville: The Hoax? and Amityville: The Haunting. The Amityville II: The Possession and Amityville 3-D discs will both feature the original theatrical trailer. The films themselves will each be presented in anamorphic widescreen along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks, with the exception of Amityville 2 which will include an English Mono track only. You'll be able to own the set from the 5th April, priced at around $39.96. Individual titles will also be available for $14.95.

Josh-da-man 12-29-04 08:03 PM

Meh. I'll probably have to pick this up. Looks like a decent enough boxed set. It's really too bad MGM didn't make a new edition of the original; 2-disc with an anamorphic transfer.

TNAJason 12-29-04 09:21 PM

They should have released Amityville with the Confidential disc as a 2-Disc. I mean I like 2 & 3,but rather just own the 4th disc,and new Amityville disc. I guess I'll be picking up the "SE" Box Set.

xfilekr 12-29-04 11:53 PM

Yay!

Steve Phillips 12-30-04 10:12 AM

Looks like a great set.

Regarding AMITYVILLE 3-D, I doubt the DVD will include any sort of 3-D version. The film was released theatrically in polarized, clear glasses 3-D and was one of the more effective of the 20 or so new 3-D movies released in the 1980's wave. Since they can't replicate polarized 3-D easily at home, the only choices are a simple anaglyph (red/blue glasses) conversion, which are always insulting to the original. The R2 DVD contains an anaglyph version and it is beyond unwatchable. While the original polarized version had excellent depth, great gimmick shots and normal color, the DVD version is a blurry, double imaged mess with little depth, gimmicks that don't work and distorted color. Trust me, you don't want to see the film this way. It looks NOTHING like the original 3-D version.

The only other choice is a field sequential version requiring a $30 pair of LCD shutter glasses. This format can better approximate what the original version looks like, with normal color, great depth and gimmicks, but it has its limitations and you've got to have the set up, so MGM can't just enclose a pair of cardboard glases and be done with it.

Since no major studio has yet released a 3-D feature on DVD with an field sequential format option (stupid since many many titles are out there in bootleg form already, mostly ripped from 15 year old Japanese vidediscs) I don't think MGM is going to do it here either. At least the modified 2-D flat version will finally be in the OAR of 2:35 to 1 on US home video though. Plus, the rest of the set should be great and the price is right so I'll pick it up for sure.

FantasticVSDoom 12-30-04 11:50 AM

Well I guess I will pick this up then, since the first one is Anamorphic, and the documentaries seem pretty interesting.

matome 12-30-04 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
from dvd answers Picture here

MGM Home Entertainment has announced the Amityville Horror Special Edition Giftset which includes The Amityville Horror, the original blood-curdling tale about a Long Island home possessed by demonic spirits starring James Brolin, along with the prequel Amityville II: The Possession and the bone-chilling Amityville 3-D. On top of that, the set will also include Amityville Confidential, an exclusive bonus disc featuring an all-new examination of this infamous haunted house. Featuring an optional video intro and audio commentary by parapsychologist Dr. Hans Holzer, The Amityville Horror DVD also includes a new documentary entitled “For God’s Sake, Get Out!,” a sneak peek of the upcoming remake of The Amityville Horror, seven radio spots and the original theatrical trailer. The Amityville Confidential bonus disc comes haunted with sinister documentaries, including Amityville: The Hoax? and Amityville: The Haunting. The Amityville II: The Possession and Amityville 3-D discs will both feature the original theatrical trailer. The films themselves will each be presented in anamorphic widescreen along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks, with the exception of Amityville 2 which will include an English Mono track only. You'll be able to own the set from the 5th April, priced at around $39.96. Individual titles will also be available for $14.95.

Thanks. Sounds pretty good. Looks like I'll go for the set.

matome 02-02-05 09:02 AM

DVDEmpire has the new SE of the original up for preorder seperately for $10

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...item_id=662585

Buttmunker 02-02-05 09:04 AM

l'd like to see the documentary sold separately.

ianholm 02-02-05 09:07 AM

Good news on the separate original and it's cheap! Wasn't interested in the crappy sequels.

Buttmunker 03-01-05 10:18 AM

According to DVD Empire:

The Amityville Horror - Extras: Audio Commentary by Dr. Hans Holzer, PH.D. in parapsychology, "For God's Sake, Get Out!" Documentary, Radio Spots, Original Theatrical Trailer

Amityville 2: The Possession - No extras

Amityville 3-D - No extras

Amityville Horror Special Edition Giftset - Includes the three discs listed above, a ticket to the remake, and a fourth disc that includes two History Channel documentaries and "on location" footage of the remake.

Amityville 1 and 3: 5.1 & Widescreen Anamorphic
Amityville 2: Mono & Widescreen

English, French & Spanish subtitles on all.

Because of the extra 4th disc in the boxset, I will get the boxset.

cinephan 03-02-05 12:12 AM

Deep Discount is going to have this set for $20 something. I want the main movie and the disc of extras. I'll probably spend the 20 something for the whole box.

shaggy 03-02-05 01:37 AM

If a movie ticket is included, then this is a must have set. Every sequel or remake should have a dvd like this released

jason978 03-18-05 10:45 PM

anyone been able to confirm the free ticket to the new movie?

Julie Walker 03-19-05 02:08 AM

Not sure about the ticket,but according to dvdtalks review. Trailers for parts 2 & 3 are included. Which is nice too know:)

JCFantasy23 03-19-05 03:06 AM

I'm a fan of the original and have been wanting to rewatch part 2 for years. The story holds a strong fascination for me, as well, but I havent been able to find much info on it (hello, documentaries) This is a no brainer for me.

Spiderbite 03-30-05 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by jason978
anyone been able to confirm the free ticket to the new movie?

I can confirm it...it does have the movie cash in the boxset. Good for one admission for up to $10.50 for The Amityville Horror. It is good from April 15th thru May 8th so it expires pretty quick.

I picked it up today at my local Best Buy for $26.99. I had $25 in gift certificates to burn and the free movie ticket sealed the deal along with the great price. It's a good looking set. All four movies come in keepcases and all have great cover art. Thank god they ditched the old Amityville 3 cover art from the vhs releases. By the way...no inserts in any of the cases. No disc art on parts 2 or 3 as the pan & scan version is put on the other side of the discs (Why do they still release pan & scan!?!?)

The back of the boxset has a sticker stating that Amitville 3-D is not in 3-D.

There is also a sticker on the outside stating about the free ticket inside so make sure you look for that. All of the ones at my Best Buy had the sticker on the outside but due to that quick expiration I am sure many future ones will not have the movie cash.

dollfins1 03-30-05 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I can confirm it...it does have the movie cash in the boxset. Good for one admission for up to $10.50 for The Amityville Horror. It is good from April 15th thru May 8th so it expires pretty quick.

I picked it up today at my local Best Buy for $26.99. I had $25 in gift certificates to burn and the free movie ticket sealed the deal along with the great price. It's a good looking set. All four movies come in keepcases and all have great cover art. Thank god they ditched the old Amityville 3 cover art from the vhs releases. By the way...no inserts in any of the cases. No disc art on parts 2 or 3 as the pan & scan version is put on the other side of the discs (Why do they still release pan & scan!?!?)

The back of the boxset has a sticker stating that Amitville 3-D is not in 3-D.

There is also a sticker on the outside stating about the free ticket inside so make sure you look for that. All of the ones at my Best Buy had the sticker on the outside but due to that quick expiration I am sure many future ones will not have the movie cash.

i thought it wasnt supposed to be out till next week

Spiderbite 03-30-05 08:19 PM

I thought the same but they had several sitting on the shelf.

dollfins1 03-30-05 09:15 PM

I thought the same but they had several sitting on the shelf.

if they put it out cheaper next week they will always give you back the difference. i'm hoping somebody has it for $19.99-$24.99

Spiderbite 03-30-05 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by dollfins1
if they put it out cheaper next week they will always give you back the difference. i'm hoping somebody has it for $19.99-$24.99

Exactly. I had already planned on that. Still a great deal for a 4 disc set with a free movie ticket in it.

Julie Walker 03-30-05 10:34 PM

How do the free tickets work? I mean,do you have to show the person at the ticket booth it,or can you just walk inside?

I want to get that set,but have never taken advantage of the free ticket offers before.

Cameron 03-30-05 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
How do the free tickets work? I mean,do you have to show the person at the ticket booth it,or can you just walk inside?

I want to get that set,but have never taken advantage of the free ticket offers before.

its more or less a check...you take it to the booth and they give you a ticket

dollfins1 03-30-05 10:44 PM

Exactly. I had already planned on that. Still a great deal for a 4 disc set with a free movie ticket in it.

plus you get to check it out early :)

Mr. Cinema 04-04-05 09:22 PM

My Best Buy also had this out early because I got it today. They had 6 or 7 on the shelf. Also got my free ticket for the remake.

Spiderbite 04-04-05 10:42 PM

Be sure and price-match it with Circuit City if you go to Best Buy. They have the collection on sale this week for $24.99

Cameron 04-04-05 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Frozen
It also mentions on the front of the certificate that it IS valid on Amityville showings designated as "no coupons, no passes".

this means you may have to wait a week to see it

Cameron 04-05-05 12:47 AM

what i mean is....many times these free movie tickets have certain stipulations. The main one being no coupons, no passes. Many times movie theater managers (companies) will not allow you to use gift certificates to see new release movies for the first two weeks. AMC theaters would not even let you use a AMC gift certificate to see a movie on opening weekend...of course this caused some grief. So, YMMV on seeing this new movie on opening weekend.

Mr. Cinema 04-05-05 08:17 AM

These types of free tickets, including the one for Amityville, specifically say on the front that it IS valid on "no coupon, no pass" showings.

Spiderbite 04-05-05 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
These types of free tickets, including the one for Amityville, specifically say on the front that it IS valid on "no coupon, no pass" showings.

I have never once had a problem using these on movies that state the "no coupons, no pass" signs. I usually go to Rave theaters but Carmike has also never given me a problem. As the other poster said...YMMV.