Amityville Horror Special Edition???

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Amityville Horror Special Edition???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a fan of the original and have been wanting to rewatch part 2 for years. The story holds a strong fascination for me, as well, but I havent been able to find much info on it (hello, documentaries) This is a no brainer for me.
Old 03-30-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by jason978
anyone been able to confirm the free ticket to the new movie?
I can confirm it...it does have the movie cash in the boxset. Good for one admission for up to $10.50 for The Amityville Horror. It is good from April 15th thru May 8th so it expires pretty quick.

I picked it up today at my local Best Buy for $26.99. I had $25 in gift certificates to burn and the free movie ticket sealed the deal along with the great price. It's a good looking set. All four movies come in keepcases and all have great cover art. Thank god they ditched the old Amityville 3 cover art from the vhs releases. By the way...no inserts in any of the cases. No disc art on parts 2 or 3 as the pan & scan version is put on the other side of the discs (Why do they still release pan & scan!?!?)

The back of the boxset has a sticker stating that Amitville 3-D is not in 3-D.

There is also a sticker on the outside stating about the free ticket inside so make sure you look for that. All of the ones at my Best Buy had the sticker on the outside but due to that quick expiration I am sure many future ones will not have the movie cash.
Old 03-30-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I can confirm it...it does have the movie cash in the boxset. Good for one admission for up to $10.50 for The Amityville Horror. It is good from April 15th thru May 8th so it expires pretty quick.

I picked it up today at my local Best Buy for $26.99. I had $25 in gift certificates to burn and the free movie ticket sealed the deal along with the great price. It's a good looking set. All four movies come in keepcases and all have great cover art. Thank god they ditched the old Amityville 3 cover art from the vhs releases. By the way...no inserts in any of the cases. No disc art on parts 2 or 3 as the pan & scan version is put on the other side of the discs (Why do they still release pan & scan!?!?)

The back of the boxset has a sticker stating that Amitville 3-D is not in 3-D.

There is also a sticker on the outside stating about the free ticket inside so make sure you look for that. All of the ones at my Best Buy had the sticker on the outside but due to that quick expiration I am sure many future ones will not have the movie cash.

i thought it wasnt supposed to be out till next week
Old 03-30-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the same but they had several sitting on the shelf.
Old 03-30-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the same but they had several sitting on the shelf.
if they put it out cheaper next week they will always give you back the difference. i'm hoping somebody has it for $19.99-$24.99
Old 03-30-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dollfins1
if they put it out cheaper next week they will always give you back the difference. i'm hoping somebody has it for $19.99-$24.99
Exactly. I had already planned on that. Still a great deal for a 4 disc set with a free movie ticket in it.
Old 03-30-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do the free tickets work? I mean,do you have to show the person at the ticket booth it,or can you just walk inside?

I want to get that set,but have never taken advantage of the free ticket offers before.
Old 03-30-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
How do the free tickets work? I mean,do you have to show the person at the ticket booth it,or can you just walk inside?

I want to get that set,but have never taken advantage of the free ticket offers before.
its more or less a check...you take it to the booth and they give you a ticket
Old 03-30-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Exactly. I had already planned on that. Still a great deal for a 4 disc set with a free movie ticket in it.

plus you get to check it out early
Old 04-04-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Best Buy also had this out early because I got it today. They had 6 or 7 on the shelf. Also got my free ticket for the remake.
Old 04-04-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Be sure and price-match it with Circuit City if you go to Best Buy. They have the collection on sale this week for $24.99
Old 04-04-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Frozen
It also mentions on the front of the certificate that it IS valid on Amityville showings designated as "no coupons, no passes".
this means you may have to wait a week to see it
Old 04-05-05, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what i mean is....many times these free movie tickets have certain stipulations. The main one being no coupons, no passes. Many times movie theater managers (companies) will not allow you to use gift certificates to see new release movies for the first two weeks. AMC theaters would not even let you use a AMC gift certificate to see a movie on opening weekend...of course this caused some grief. So, YMMV on seeing this new movie on opening weekend.
Old 04-05-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

These types of free tickets, including the one for Amityville, specifically say on the front that it IS valid on "no coupon, no pass" showings.
Old 04-05-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
These types of free tickets, including the one for Amityville, specifically say on the front that it IS valid on "no coupon, no pass" showings.
I have never once had a problem using these on movies that state the "no coupons, no pass" signs. I usually go to Rave theaters but Carmike has also never given me a problem. As the other poster said...YMMV.
Old 04-05-05, 10:26 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I have never once had a problem using these on movies that state the "no coupons, no pass" signs. I usually go to Rave theaters but Carmike has also never given me a problem. As the other poster said...YMMV.
No problems for me as well and I always go to AMC movie theaters.
Old 04-05-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Frozen
Here's the info printed on the front of the ticket:

Visit www.HollywoodMovieMoney.info for participating theaters.

RESTRICTIONS:
A. Movie certificates shall be valid at participating theaters for The Amityville Horror, INCLUDING performances designated as "no coupons, no passes" in local listings.
well that solves that...good news
Old 04-05-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked it up today, looks good. Too bad NO inserts w/ any of the 4 boxes. Damn.
Old 04-06-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the extras disc last night with the History Channel documentaries on it. Both were very well done and did a good job not repeating the same info between the two. I saw one of them when it originally aired but missed the other special. The other extra, the behind the scenes of the new movie short, is just your typical puff piece.

Watching the documentaries makes me want to read a lot of the books that they talked about. Anyone read any of them?

By the way, why don't we ever hear from the kids that lived in the house? They are all in their 30's now and from what the parents said, they should remember some things about their time spent living there (unless their memories are completely tainted by the publicity, movies, etc.).

After watching the specials...do you feel like it was real or a hoax? I don't really know if I believe in haunted houses but the Lutz's did not seem to be making it up just for a purpose of a hoax.

Watching the documentaries definitely makes me look forward to watching the 3 movies again. I feel they should remake Part II and make it strictly based on the facts of the first murders (with maybe some supernatural over-tones). The specials definitely showed there was some interesing stuff going on behind the scenes of that family's life.
Old 04-06-05, 10:26 PM

I watched the documentaries tonight and agree they are very interesting pieces.

I was also happy to see even James Brolin admit his "I'm coming apart!!!" delivery was way over the top. That bit makes me burst out laughing,and it's nice to know Brolin feels the same way

I hope the remake is good,since the original film does nothing for myself. Though I would love to read the Jay Anson book,and might go looking for it.

part 2 is a favorite of mine and just gives me the creeps big time though. One hell of a disturbing frightening film!
Old 04-06-05, 10:50 PM

the book is very good,i finished re-reading it recently and its pretty creepy,i always thought part 2 was the best in whole series,especially the first hour,scary as hell.i highly recommend the book as i already saw some scenes in e new movie that are present in the book,but not in the original version.you can find The Amityville Horror novel on amazon for super cheap but im kind of expecting a re-release of it to tie in with the movie..as for the whole hoax thing,im convinced it really DID happen,i mean there was some circumstances that i thought to myself dam,would i really lose my entire life savings and almost everything i owned just to fool the public? like i know that some stuff in the book and movie were stretched out but hey,true life movies are never accurate,are they?
Old 04-06-05, 11:15 PM

I have a feeling it was true as well. Since again risking all your life savings and not profiting off the incident is a pretty good giveaway(& yet they still don't give in and change the story!). For a hoax,you would want to profit from it(& keep the money,not let it all run away into legal bills,while people get rich off the films and novels,while you're left with zilch).

The other mysterious unexplained thing is none of the family members of the Defeos moving from their beds,nor hearing the gun shots as Ron went around murdering them all. That seems alittle perculiar too say the least,and proves something was 'off' so to speak with the slayings.

I know people can sometimes sleep through alot of things(I've slept through loud violent thunderstorms before). But I am sure a gun going off in a house,would instantly wake many people up,even if still sleepy.

I have the day off tomorrow,so I think I will go browse the used books stores and see if I can find a copy of the book.
Old 04-06-05, 11:53 PM

so true julie,like i think the last person to get killed was the oldest daughter sleep thru 5 shotgun blasts? i mean come on,something was DEFINETLY at work in that house,getting back to the dvd set,im satisfied with it,i just wish part 2 had a commentary or interviews with the cast and maybe some of the uncut footage,and part 3 with the dvd version,but the dvd version on the region 2 set isnt all that bad so i recommend picking up,but overall,im VERY satisfied with this release
Old 04-12-05, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

been watching this one....good stuff...that history channel stuff is just creepy
Old 04-12-05, 04:31 PM
Cool New Member

I picked up the set here in Canada at Futureshop for 24.99 or 25.99 i forget :P. On the front it says the ticket is only valid in Canada, so i guess if u buy it in American thats where u have to use it. The amount of money in the Canadian boxset is $14. I know theres a price diff between US and Can, but not really at movie theatres. I guess Canada gets a better deal. I'm going to an expensive theatre haha, I'm not wasting no coupon money.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.