Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

If the "Trilogy" were filmed today, what would it look like & would it be as revered?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

If the "Trilogy" were filmed today, what would it look like & would it be as revered?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-04, 05:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Anyone ever thought about that...if it was truly made in sequential order, today? What would the ramafications be...

Do you think it would look and feel exactly like Eps. 1, 2, and most likely 3? Who would be in it? Would some of the cast (from Eps. 1-3, from the original 4-6) be in it? and...
would it be as revered and loved as the trilogy is now??

I just thought this might be a very interesting query...
Old 09-27-04, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the first one made was TPM, then the remaining 5 would never be greenlit for production.

Also, TPM would have never been made on the budget it had if it was a first time movie with no prior background. Either that, or it would have broken Final Fantasy's record for the biggest box office bomb in history.

Last edited by Green Jello; 09-27-04 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-27-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Green Jello
If the first one made was TPM, then the remaining 5 would never be greenlit for production.

Also, TPM would have never been made on the budget it had if it was a first time movie with no prior background. Either that, or it would have broken Final Fantasy's record for the biggest box office bomb in history.
Old 09-27-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Moot point. Why speak in hypotheticals when you can enjoy the 70's and 80's butched versions already?
Old 09-27-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tough question. If the OT hadn't been made in 77-83, the existing state of both the movie industry and movie effects would be radically different.
Old 09-27-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, that's just impossible to answer. The Lucas who is Lucas today would not be the same person he is without the original Star Wars, so we can't even use the prequels as a judge.
Old 09-27-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup. and TPM happened because lucas fronted the bill so it's hard to say that any studio wouldn't have green lighted anything after that since it did make money for lucas so he would have green lighted his own films.
Old 09-28-04, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No chance, it would have still been huge. Its a fantastic film and is loved by many fans and non fans of the originals. Young kids love PM and even Jar Jar. The PM haters refuse to accept the film for what it is, not to mention half of you don't Return of the Jedi, so there is no chance you'd like the prequels.
Old 09-28-04, 04:32 AM
Banned

Originally posted by shaggy
No chance, it would have still been huge. Its a fantastic film and is loved by many fans and non fans of the originals. Young kids love PM and even Jar Jar.
Denial ain't just a river in egypt. If the audiences' very first glimpse of Lucas' Star Wars universe was The Phantom Menace then NO ONE would give a shit whether they saw another episode or not and a sequel would have never been greenlit. The Star Wars Saga would've begun and ended with just one film.
Old 09-28-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Star Wars is noted not for just being a great film, but for being a breakthough in special effects work...it's doubtful we would have gotten ANY of the great sci-fi special effects films of the last 25 years if not for Lucas' creation of ILM. If Phantom Menace would have came first in 1977 it STILL would have been a huge hit for those reasons alone.
Old 09-28-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SW came out just when it should have to make it a classic.

You could also ask if Cassablanca, Wizard of OZ, White Christmas or Gone with the Wind came out now, would they be as "Successful". I dought it, different actors and different times.

All the movies came out at the perfect time to make them into the classics that they are. Why debate something that could never be proved, the only thing that can be proved is Star Wars is a classic that will be enjoyed for generations to come.
Old 09-28-04, 10:43 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally posted by Iron_Giant
SW came out just when it should have to make it a classic.

You could also ask if Cassablanca, Wizard of OZ, White Christmas or Gone with the Wind came out now, would they be as "Successful". I dought it, different actors and different times.

All the movies came out at the perfect time to make them into the classics that they are. Why debate something that could never be proved, the only thing that can be proved is Star Wars is a classic that will be enjoyed for generations to come.
no one is trying to prove anything. it is simply a fun question to see opinions. sure you could ask with any other film, but none of them had a rebirth or sequels in the modern era which is what makes this i thought a fascinating topic to be discussed.
Old 09-28-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Iron_Giant

Well, funny thing is WIZARD OF OZ wasn't a hit when it came out...it only gained popularity as the years went on.
Old 09-28-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
Tough question. If the OT hadn't been made in 77-83, the existing state of both the movie industry and movie effects would be radically different.
What he said.
Old 09-28-04, 11:29 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We'd probably have Jar Jar in all the movies.
Old 09-28-04, 01:00 PM

Back when the original trilogy was released, most of us were still quite young, and seeing space ships fly around on screen had us ( well me ) in amazement on how it was done and what magic did they use.

These days you instantly write off any special effect down to CGI and other computer wizardary
Old 09-28-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally posted by Rivero
Denial ain't just a river in egypt. If the audiences' very first glimpse of Lucas' Star Wars universe was The Phantom Menace then NO ONE would give a shit whether they saw another episode or not and a sequel would have never been greenlit. The Star Wars Saga would've begun and ended with just one film.
Let me remind you two movie executives, that TPM budget was around $120 million (Cheap compared to many other movies) and it's US box office was around $420 Million.

Anything that makes that much money would get greenlighted for multiple sequels.
Old 09-28-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would it kill somebody NOT to use every computer cgi trick in the book? The new SWs still don't look like films, they look like video game demos (with the script quality of a shitty game, as well). LOTR didn't overdo the cgi stuff. It ain't rocket science to make a movie that's epic and real at the same time.
Old 09-28-04, 02:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Chrisedge
Let me remind you two movie executives, that TPM budget was around $120 million (Cheap compared to many other movies) and it's US box office was around $420 Million.

Anything that makes that much money would get greenlighted for multiple sequels.
True, but the fact is that TPM was the 4th Star Wars film, and is a factor in it making $420 Million.

I'm inclined to agree if Ep. 1 was the first film made, the entire series would NOT have been made.
Old 09-28-04, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Chrisedge

Yes genius. Like I said, If TPM was the first made, there is no way it would get a budget of $120 Mil. And also without the 20+ years of fan anticipation, it wouldn't have made nearly $420 million either.

Also, what world so you live in where $120 million (it was actually $115) is cheap? Name me one film other than Titanic made before Episode I than cost more than that.

Last edited by Green Jello; 09-28-04 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-28-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
there seems to be a lot of "what if's" posed in this thread. Here is one. What if we don't ask all these what ifs?
Old 09-28-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If... if... IF a frog had wings, he wouldn't be bumping his ass on the ground.

The state of special effects would've been much different, as bboisvert mentioned. This is proved in the third featurette on the bonus disk.
Old 09-30-04, 11:53 AM

Yes genius. Like I said, If TPM was the first made, there is no way it would get a budget of $120 Mil. And also without the 20+ years of fan anticipation, it wouldn't have made nearly $420 million either.

Also, what world so you live in where $120 million (it was actually $115) is cheap? Name me one film other than Titanic made before Episode I than cost more than that.
I believe Waterworld was the first film to break the $100 Million mark...
Old 09-30-04, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
I believe Waterworld was the first film to break the $100 Million mark...
Yes, actually it was $175 Million, but the point is, when Star Wars Ep. I was made is was roughly in the top five most expensive movies ever made. The budget of $115 Mill, was hardly common.
Old 09-30-04, 06:50 PM
Cool New Member

Today there is so much multiplicity that nothing will ever be the hit Star Wars was. Star Wars was the Beatles of film in the mid 70s. It simply can't happen today. Movies might be as good/better and might make more money but they can't have unanimous cultural domination that Star Wars had then. The medium of film just isn't up to the task anymore or we the G.P. are no longer susceptible because the marketing machine turns us away.

Ironically (I think) the very marketing machine that took off from Star Wars that manufactured the Star Wars myth has jaded us from ever letting another film ever enter into the collective imaginations to Star Wars capacity again.