Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Special Edition trilogy is better than the original trilogy!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having watched both the original and special edition I must say that the special edition trilogy is much better than the original trilogy. The pacing is much better, it looks much more realistic and some scenes add more depth to the characters like the one with Jabba.

The reversed stereo mix is weird, but in no way changes anything about the movie.

And Greedo shooting first or Han shooting first doesn't make a damn difference to me I don't know why everyone is crying about that so much.

Overall, the special edition kicks the original's arse.
Old 09-27-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope you are wearing asbestos pants.
Old 09-27-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Hey...I don't care if people like the new versions better than the old ones. I just wish the original versions were available. Enjoy.
Old 09-27-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by KnightLerxst
I hope you are wearing asbestos pants.

Locked and loaded.
Old 09-27-04, 01:00 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Hey...I don't care if people like the new versions better than the old ones. I just wish the original versions were available. Enjoy.
I agree that both versions are great and we need the choice.
Old 09-27-04, 01:12 PM
Retired

I like them as well. I wish greedo didn't shoot at all (but the new scene with them shooting at the same time is much better) and the Jabba scene is pointless, but neither bother me enough to impair my enjoyment of the movies.

The other changes I really like, especially the touched up and new special effects. I just wish they'd touch everything up (i.e. Luke's lightsaber changing colors in ANH).
Old 09-27-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Yeah, I have no problem that anyone might prefer the new cuts. If you like these versions better, you're in the majority, I guess.

I'd just like to have nice DVD versions of the films I originally fell in love with. I can enjoy these new DVDs for what they are, but I can still feel regret and frustration and occasionally anger for what could have been. Oh well.
Old 09-27-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Doesn't make any difference if the SE's are 100 times better than the originals - from a film history perspective, fans and students of cinema deserve to have the originals available on a quality format such as DVD.
Old 09-27-04, 02:38 PM
Suspended

I prefer the SE additions as well......except the ROTJ dance number at Jabba's palace. Thats the only thing that bugs me. Everything else is great.
Old 09-27-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cleaned up fx. Good...especially during the first Death Star battle.

Greedo...better in this version...I can overlook it.

Cutting out the magnesium flares on Imperials...very stupid.
Old 09-27-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Empire has the best changes/additions.
Old 09-27-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
I think Empire has the best changes/additions.
IMO the only thing that needed to be cleaned up in that movie was matte lines and a few messed up fx shots.

Everything else was perfect.
Old 09-27-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Neither version is flawless...there should be a choice.
Old 09-27-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I prefer the SE additions as well......except the ROTJ dance number at Jabba's palace.
That scene definitely bugs me the most. I don't mind the other additions so much.
Old 09-27-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only change I don't think works is adding Hayden at the end of ROTJ. Since both Yoda's and Obi-wan's ghosts are when they are old. It makes sense to make Anakin an old ghost.
Old 09-27-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't really care which version people prefer. I just want both available. I like the new SE better than the '97 version minus all the ANH audio screw ups.
Old 09-27-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by jiggawhat
The only change I don't think works is adding Hayden at the end of ROTJ. Since both Yoda's and Obi-wan's ghosts are when they are old. It makes sense to make Anakin an old ghost.
The explanation thats been posted a few times that makes sense to me is that Anakin appears young because thats when he was still a Jedi. I'm fine with that.
Old 09-27-04, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
The explanation thats been posted a few times that makes sense to me is that Anakin appears young because thats when he was still a Jedi. I'm fine with that.
That explanation does not work. Anakin could not have become one with the Force and appeared as a Jedi ghost if he had not redeemed himself (regaining his Jedi status) by turning his back to the Dark Side and saving Luke in the end. Anakin died a Jedi.

It also makes no sense for Anakin to appear to Luke as a ghost he would not recognize.
Old 09-27-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lucas really should have tried to figure out a way to get Han to not walk on Jabba's tail. It just takes me out of the scene. And I could also live without the dance sequence in ROTJ. Other than that, I think the SEs are tremendously entertaining and I love them, but the only thing I wished is that we actually got MORE changes (not to piss off the fans, but to add to the movie, like the Biggs/Luke scene on Tatooine) and that we also got the original cuts. I know if Lucas gave us the original cuts on DVD, all the bad buzz about the changes would fall off the face of Internet message boards. At least most of it would.
Old 09-28-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by jim_cook87
That explanation does not work. Anakin could not have become one with the Force and appeared as a Jedi ghost if he had not redeemed himself (regaining his Jedi status) by turning his back to the Dark Side and saving Luke in the end. Anakin died a Jedi.

It also makes no sense for Anakin to appear to Luke as a ghost he would not recognize.
That's fine, but personally i think thats just nitpicking details, especially since i don't know any, nor do i care for any of the specifics regarding the requirements for becoming a ghost. Maybe Anakin redeemed himself but doesn't regain his Jedi status. Shrug.

Also, i don't think it would be too hard for Luke to know who the person is. It seems that he can feel who his family is within, like Leia and Vader as his father. Again, just a small change thats no big deal at all to me.
Old 09-28-04, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I didnt like the Anakin replacement scene simply because while Obi-Wan is smiling and happy, the young Anakin looks kinda pissed. In fact, I think most of the changes I dont like are in ROTJ. First of all, all of the music changes in Jabbas Palace stink...the original music fit in much better. There seems to be a "lets see how many weird creatures we can pack into this movie" take on things as well, and I really dont like how the Sarlac makes me think of Little Shop of Horrors. The celebrations scenes at the end is the only time in the entire trilogy that someone who has limited their Star Wars universe to those three films would say "what the hell is that?"...plus being completely CGI in a movie that is still mostly real sets is kinda distracting...it has this "Hey look, this is a new scene!!" feel to it.
Old 09-28-04, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
Yeah, I have no problem that anyone might prefer the new cuts. If you like these versions better, you're in the majority, I guess.
I completely disagree. I think time has shown the vast majority is in the "don't care" category, where they'd buy it anyways. There's only a small minority in the "won't buy the SE" and "won't buy the OT" categories.

If he'd released the original, just cleaned it up, sales would have been exactly the same.
Old 09-28-04, 11:07 PM
Banned

Re: The Special Edition trilogy is better than the original trilogy!

Originally posted by jiggawhat

Overall, the special edition kicks the original's arse.
You're obviously just trying to start shit for the sake of starting shit. I'd chew you out but someone who posts this is obviously not serious.
Old 09-28-04, 11:38 PM
Suspended

Re: Re: The Special Edition trilogy is better than the original trilogy!

Originally posted by Rivero
You're obviously just trying to start shit for the sake of starting shit. I'd chew you out but someone who posts this is obviously not serious.
Why the hell would he be trying to start shit? Guess what.... not all people have the same opinion as you. And your opinion doesnt make you *right*. Holy shit! Get over yourself already!
Old 09-29-04, 02:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: The Special Edition trilogy is better than the original trilogy!

Re: Re: The Special Edition trilogy is better than the original trilogy!

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Rivero
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by MJKTool
Why the hell would he be trying to start shit? Guess what.... not all people have the same opinion as you. And your opinion doesnt make you *right*. Holy shit! Get over yourself already!
I think what Rivero is getting at is that the odds of someone who is enough of a fan to seek out and post in a dedicated Star Wars forum actually preferring the SE's over the originals are very slim. Sure, there are probably plenty of Joe Sixpack types who think that the golly-gee whiz-bang factor of the added special effects automatically make the SEs superior. But then those people are the ones who buy the fullscreen sets, and they don't generally post in forums.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.