Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

My SW DVD is better than yours! AKA Up yours LOTR!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here's the article :

Morning, all! I just wanted to chime in here with the first word on the sales of Fox and Lucasfilm's Star Wars Trilogy box set. According to Reuters, $115 million in worldwide sales were generated on Tuesday, the first official day of the title's release. That's an impressive figure, despite the fact that the number reportedly includes sales data for both the DVD box set and the Star Wars: Battlefront video game. We expect separate numbers to be released soon. In any case, it represents probably the highest single day sales for a single release in the history of the format. Anyone surprised?

For all those who debated whose series and DVD was more popular than the other, etc. etc. I guess this note, which came from Digital Bits, is the answer to what we all already knew.

Star Wars is the king of all movies and DVD's.

WHEEEE!
Old 09-24-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I guess the 6 babies that didn't buy it because of "changes" made an impact. Nice.
Old 09-24-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aw man, don't open up this festering, infected sore. Some folks like LOTR. Some folks like Star Wars. Some folks like both. Let's leave it at that.
Old 09-24-04, 01:14 AM
Banned

LOTR still has the better trilogy-concluding film.
Old 09-24-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Rivero

eh. this whole LOTR vs SW debate will be lame.
Old 09-24-04, 02:09 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 09-24-04, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Let's not forget though, that this single release contains three films not available before, that are only available as a set. So, to compare this to any one of the LOTR films would not be fair. Also, it wouldn't be fair to compare it to the box set of the LOTR (theatrical cuts) films, as many people didn't get it since they had one or more of the films already. Most just bought them separately, or opted for the extended editions (or both).

Also, including the Battlefront game in the total, which most places sell for a higher price than the DVDs, is ridiculous.

I'd like to see the first day totals for all three of the LOTR films combined compared with SW.
Old 09-24-04, 09:50 AM

Lets not bash LOTR.
Old 09-24-04, 10:05 AM

Wouldn't the videogame sales be a huge chunk of that money? Battlefront seemed to be selling extremely well.
Old 09-24-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Drexl
Let's not forget though, that this single release contains three films not available before, that are only available as a set. So, to compare this to any one of the LOTR films would not be fair. Also, it wouldn't be fair to compare it to the box set of the LOTR (theatrical cuts) films, as many people didn't get it since they had one or more of the films already. Most just bought them separately, or opted for the extended editions (or both).

Also, including the Battlefront game in the total, which most places sell for a higher price than the DVDs, is ridiculous.

I'd like to see the first day totals for all three of the LOTR films combined compared with SW.
Since it is a 3-film set, the prices are higher. If the # of boxsets sold was greater than LOTR movies, I'd be impressed - but that's not the case. They're only talking $$.

I personally don't give a rat's ass which movie sells more, makes more, poops more, etc.
Old 09-24-04, 10:09 AM
Banned

How many threads do we need on this? This is the fifth time that article has been posted.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=386807

Last edited by Green Jello; 09-24-04 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-24-04, 11:10 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally posted by Green Jello
How man y threads do we need on this? This is the fifth time it's been posted.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=386807
thank you!
Old 09-24-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess I'm in the minority I like and own both LOTR and SW.

What was I thnking?
Old 09-24-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ditto. I have both versions of LOTR DVDs and all 4 books. I have both best versions of SW 4-6 (new DVDs for SE and Def LDs for OT) and a couple dozen books.

I might add that comparing the continuity of the two is really a poor choice. LOTR is one story, only split up into 3 books and (in a different way) into 3 movies out of necessity for its length. SW really can't compare as it has been written by too many people over too many years, even if you are just looking at the first trilogy.

And for the dense out there: Please try to understand I'm not saying LOTR is better. Nor am I saying SW is better. The only place either wins in my book is DVD packaging, and I'll fix that discrepancy on my own.
Old 09-24-04, 03:01 PM

That depends on whether or not you like LOTR at all. Then again, I can reply with Star Wars has the best film out of the 6, ESB. But this is not a winnable argument. It's all subjective. All it will achieve is more arguing, which will eventually turn to flaming.

Me, I don't like LOTR. Couldn't get into the material, the characters, or the villians. Found them boring. You may feel entirely different. That doesn't make me right and you wrong, or vice versa. Just means we're different. People will never agree on movies, even run of the mill movies.

SW really can't compare as it has been written by too many people over too many years
Well, the stories of the original trilogy were written by George Lucas. So the content of the films haven't been written by too many people. In fact, only two people wrote the screenplays to all 3 films.

The only difference is one is done from a book, one was conceived as a film.
Old 09-24-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
And one was was seemingly conceived as a single film, with sequels tacked on afterwards
Old 09-25-04, 12:51 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like both my SW Trilogy and LOTR Trilogy!
Old 09-25-04, 05:11 AM

i like both as well.
Old 09-25-04, 05:23 AM

And one was was seemingly conceived as a single film, with sequels tacked on afterwards
WRONG! ANH was made as a single film with a beginning and an end, simply because Lucas was not sure it was going to be successful enough for him to make the other two. He couldn't make all 3 into one film because because it was just too big, so he made the first part.
Old 09-26-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like both as well ... but it seems people are given absolute licence to criticize Star Wars but no one is allowed to criticize LOTR.
Old 09-26-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Terrell
WRONG! ANH was made as a single film with a beginning and an end, simply because Lucas was not sure it was going to be successful enough for him to make the other two. He couldn't make all 3 into one film because because it was just too big, so he made the first part.
Doesn't seem like it at all to me, but ok
Old 09-26-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Terrell
actually this makes a little sense since both SW and ROTJ end with Death Star battles.