Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Cat Power DVD 10/26 - Speaking For Trees: A Film By Mark Borthwick

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat Power DVD 10/26 - Speaking For Trees: A Film By Mark Borthwick

I'm not sure how many people on this board are into her, but Cat Power aka Chan Marshall is putting out a DVD on October 26.

From the Matador Records site:

"We'll be releasing a Cat Power DVD this summer entitled 'A Film By Mark Borthwick' featuring more than 2 hours of footage shot by Mr. Borthwick, plus a video for "Free" that none of us have seen. The DVD will be accompanied by a 40 page book and a bonus CD featuring a new, unreleased 19 minute track."
http://www.matadorrecords.com/cat_power/

The announcement says summer but Matador posted in their Cat Power forum that it will be in stores 10/26. Supposedly they had some packaging issues. Chan probably made them put it in some environmentally friendly case...

Old 09-23-04, 05:17 PM

That's cool.. but it might be 2 hours of Chan staring down at the ground.
Old 09-23-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Very cool. I'll be looking forward to this. That new 19 min music track sounds very intriguing too.
Supposedly they had some packaging issues. Chan probably made them put it in some environmentally friendly case...
I bought the You Are Free CD in the environmentally friendly packaging- it's the most annoying CD case ever. I've since seen it in store in the normal jewel case and have been tempted to buy it again just so to get rid of that case. I hope whatever they come up with for the DVD is better.

Also, it's currently out of print, but two of Cat Power's videos, 'Cross Bones Style' and 'Nude as the News' can be found on Everything Is Nice: The Matador Records 10th Anniversary Anthology along with videos of other Matador artist like Yo La Tengo and The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

Last edited by Tscott; 09-23-04 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-23-04, 05:28 PM
Cool New Member

Wow. Great news. Can't wait. Thanks for posting the info.

I know she has some videos on the Matador sampler, and I've been meaning to pick that up for quite a while.

Saw her a few times back in the Moon Pix days, and the shows alternated from brilliant to frustrating. From what I understand she hasn't changed much. ("I'm sorry, I'm sorry," "This piano sucks," running off stage, etc.)

Between this, the Ramones next week, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs next month, and Elliott Smith in November, I've finally got some good music DVDs to look forward to...
Old 09-23-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Yeah, this is definitely great news. I'm sure it'll be fascinating, and I had no idea it was coming.

On a related note, there's been a Dirty Three tour documentary DVD in the works for a while, but I have no idea when, or if, that's coming out.
Old 11-03-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just got around to picking this up. First let me tell you it's not going to be for everybody. The DVD is a single shot of Chan Marshall (Cat Power) playing her guitar and singing in the woods for over an hour and forty minutes complete with nature sounds (insects, wind, etc.) in the background. Many songs are repeated two or three times throughout the disc. That said, she sounds beautiful as always and it's an interesting presentation that mirrors her no thrills sound. The DVD also features 3 'nature films' as videos of her songs.

As for the CD, I am completely in love with the track here. It's called 'Willie Deadwilder' and is over 18 minutes of pure Cat Power bliss and has instantly become a favorite of mine. If this set was priced a bit lower I'd recommend it for this song alone.

The packaging is a dual CD-sized digipack (I found it in the CD section of my local Borders) and it comes with a 64 page B&W book - mostly photos with some scrawled lyrics and a couple pages of the required liner notes.

I recommend this for die hard Cat Power fans, but if you're unsure of her I don't see this winning someone over.
Old 11-05-04, 10:25 AM

How's the sound quality on the DVD portion? 5.1 audio? DD or DTS? Thanks.
Old 11-12-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Considering that the soundtrack is her walking around in the woods playing while a mic picks up the background noise of animals and insects, I don't think DTS or DD 5.1 is going to make that much of a difference!