Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The stop complaining and enjoy one of the greatest DVD sets in history thread!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 02:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Please!

Let this be used for happy happy, joy joy feelings and comments about the entire set and maybe some venting about all the comments about what is wrong with it.

I felt this was necessary because I am getting so tired of the berating and complaining. The set is what it is and will always be so...that is it..Accept it! Enjoy it! Watch it over and over! and for goodness sake Live with it and Move on!!!

That is all...
Old 09-22-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't watch it over and over anymore because in my opinion the changes suck... They are still decent movies but to me they lost that sense of specialness that they once held.
Old 09-22-04, 02:46 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amen.

I've been dying for these movies on DVD for years, they look and sound fantastic IMO, and the extras sound great though I haven't had a chance to watch them yet myself.
Old 09-22-04, 02:46 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't mind the movies, its when the fuck up the dvds (audio), that shouldn't of happened.

But yeah they're great movies, even with the new changes.
Old 09-22-04, 02:52 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Amen.

I've been dying for these movies on DVD for years, they look and sound fantastic IMO, and the extras sound great though I haven't had a chance to watch them yet myself.
I agree. I didn't watch any of the movies yet, but I was curious about the video quality so I sampled a scene and was pretty blown away. Looks amazing.
Old 09-22-04, 02:57 PM

my point...i haven't even seen a single scene on my set yet, but i don't care because i know they are goingto be glorious, glitches and all. they are here, they are legal, and they are mine from now on!
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, seriously. I'm all for airing legitimate issues, but I admit to being kind of boggled at how negative all these discussions seem to be.

One problem with all the complaining is... it's often a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you constantly discuss all the nit-picky little flaws (real or imagined) to the umpteenth degree, then you're going to come to the movies *expecting* them to be awful and sucky and a disappointment compared to the enthroned glory that is the Original Version. (And I think the fact that we *don't* have the O.V. available on DVD makes it all the easier to put it on a pedestal.) If you go looking for flaws, you will probably find them, and if you expect something to suck, it probably will.

I mean, people are even complaining about the *packaging* now. What gives? I like it. It's not over-the-top so that it doesn't fit on the shelf or cost a gazillion dollars, it has each film conveniently in its own keepcase, and I think it looks pretty stylish.

I'm thinking that maybe this was a case of "too high expectations" - everyone has been waiting so long that there was no way the actual release could be good enough to meet their sky-high expectations. Maybe I'm lucky in that I was looking forward to the release, but not dying for it, so I'm enjoying it just fine.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Can I complain about this thread instead??? What a lousy thread!
Old 09-22-04, 03:14 PM

This thread sucks!!
Old 09-22-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
all around.

I'm surprised some people devote so much time and energy to something they "hate".
Old 09-22-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I think complaining about the audio problems of ANH is a perfectly legitimate gripe. I know damn well those changes weren't "intended" by Lucas, no matter what that press release says. Someone screwed up, and Lucas has probably banned him from the Ranch!

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 09-22-04 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-22-04, 03:42 PM
Banned

I agree. As I posted in other threads, there are audio issues to nit pick at, but the bottom line is that I can watch these films now in the best presentation they have ever been in, including the theater. They simply look and sound great.
Old 09-22-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by adamblast
Can I complain about this thread instead??? What a lousy thread!
I concur with this thought. forget star wars. lets complain about scott's threads.
Old 09-22-04, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
I think complaining about the audio problems of ANH is a perfectly legitimate gripe. I know damn well those changes we're "intended" by Lucas, no matter what that press release says. Someone screwed up, and Lucas has probably banned him from the Ranch!
That's not a very happy happy joy joy feeling.
Old 09-22-04, 04:25 PM

Pot, meet kettle:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=385939
Old 09-22-04, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by focker
Pot, meet kettle:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=385939
Nice catch focker!
Old 09-22-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I concur with this thought. forget star wars. lets complain about scott's threads.
Couldn't agree more......Enough of "thread" in the titles, I Think we get the point.
Old 09-22-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Busted.
Old 09-22-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not one of the "Star Wars" people in that they're just films to me; good films, but just films -- they don't have a religious significance to my life and I hadn't seen the movies in 10 or 15 years.

With that said, this set is phenomenal! It looks good and sounds great -- 'bout time my back surrounds got some use! I got through the first two last night and plan on the RotJ tonight and maybe some documentary stuff. I saw some of the "changes" Lucas made (since most were glaringly obvious to be in a 1977 film) and thought they fit very well into the films -- despite my previous comment, the changes fit the story and I am in full agreement that Lucas can do whatever he wants to/with his films (I'm sure he was seeking MY approval....)

I will agree with Scott that it is one of the greatest DVD sets in history -- the greatest is probably Alien Quadrilogy, but that's just IMO.

Thanks Scott for the thread -- it's good to have one where you can express an opinion without worrying too much about the wailing and gnashing of teeth to follow.
Old 09-22-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm very pleased with almost everything here. Outside of ANH, I've never seen Empire or Return in WS, let alone the 5.1, so my sense of awe from when I first saw this babies at 6 or 7 is renewed.
I'm going ANH, then ANH commentary, then Empire, then Empire comm, ect. till the fourth disc is all completed. I've waited too long to not fully enjoy everything. I can't remember seeing Return back in '97, so everything will be somewhat new, although out of all the changes, I kinda think Hayden at the end is dumb.
I love seeing ANH's teaser. Wow, they really didn't know how to sell it, did they (I mean Fox).
Old 09-22-04, 06:24 PM
Banned

Just watched ANH. Anybody notice the shitty rotoscoping on the light sabers? No, I'm not talking about color hues or amount of glow, I'm just talking about the shape of the things. By that I mean the tips of the sabers. They're squared off!!! Hell, even the folks over at TF.n know that all is needed to round them off is a slight touch up with the Photoshop paintbrush.
Old 09-22-04, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Holly E. Ordway
Yeah, seriously. I'm all for airing legitimate issues, but I admit to being kind of boggled at how negative all these discussions seem to be.

One problem with all the complaining is... it's often a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you constantly discuss all the nit-picky little flaws (real or imagined) to the umpteenth degree, then you're going to come to the movies *expecting* them to be awful and sucky and a disappointment compared to the enthroned glory that is the Original Version. (And I think the fact that we *don't* have the O.V. available on DVD makes it all the easier to put it on a pedestal.) If you go looking for flaws, you will probably find them, and if you expect something to suck, it probably will.

I mean, people are even complaining about the *packaging* now. What gives? I like it. It's not over-the-top so that it doesn't fit on the shelf or cost a gazillion dollars, it has each film conveniently in its own keepcase, and I think it looks pretty stylish.

I'm thinking that maybe this was a case of "too high expectations" - everyone has been waiting so long that there was no way the actual release could be good enough to meet their sky-high expectations. Maybe I'm lucky in that I was looking forward to the release, but not dying for it, so I'm enjoying it just fine.
Nicely said Holly!

It is so sickening already. All these people who are complaining and clamored for it for so long, just accept it and stop letting it obsess your life. It is so not worth it. It is afterall 3 rounded discs. Of course probably 3 of the most sought after rounded discs in sometime, but still...

People are dying on our streets everyday, soldiers are dying in certain places of this world everyday and were talking about a sound glitch when an X-Wing dives into battle on the Death Star...c'mon people, wake up and think bout it is all!
Old 09-22-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Kal-El
all around.

I'm surprised some people devote so much time and energy to something they "hate".
No shit. Hate leads to anger. Anger leads to fear. Fear leads to the Dark Side.

Or something like that. Of course you can always recant on your death bed and everything will be ok!
Old 09-22-04, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by scott1598
All these people who are complaining and clamored for it for so long, just accept it and stop letting it obsess your life.
You still haven't explained why you posted this thread after posting your own thread compaining about the some of the changes yourself five days ago.

You obviously haven't forgotten about it either, because you just posted in that thread asking to have it moved to the subforum here!
Old 09-22-04, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by scott1598
Nicely said Holly!

It is so sickening already. All these people who are complaining and clamored for it for so long, just accept it and stop letting it obsess your life. It is so not worth it. It is afterall 3 rounded discs. Of course probably 3 of the most sought after rounded discs in sometime, but still...

People are dying on our streets everyday, soldiers are dying in certain places of this world everyday and were talking about a sound glitch when an X-Wing dives into battle on the Death Star...c'mon people, wake up and think bout it is all!
Sorry, but give me a friggin' break. This coming from a guy who starts a thread complaining about people complaining, when he, himself started a thread complaining about the very thing he says we shouldn't complain about. And then he throws in the "people are dying" bit...

Also, it's bad form to start a thread telling people what to do (stop complaining) then, expect people to just post "Happy" thoughts.

And let me make this CLEAR:
MOST of the people who you-all say "hate" Star Wars because we complain, actually LOVE Star Wars. What we "hate" is this piece of shit that came out yesterday... yeah, yeah, I know I can buy a LD player or VHS copies (which I have), or bootlegs (which I also have), but lets face it, the OT is being slowly eliminated from the masses. And that's a sad thing. And by purchasing it, you are saying that you are okay with it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.