DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Devil's Advocate and True Lies (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/386768-devils-advocate-true-lies.html)

Altimus Prime 09-22-04 10:21 AM

Devil's Advocate and True Lies

I see in Best Buy's ad for this coming Sunday that two movies I like and own on VHS - Devil's Advocate and True Lies - are among a two-for deal. This is odd, because usually when the stores do these deals, I can usually only find one movie I'd want, so I can't get the deal, so I don't buy.

But I'm hesitant, because I don't know if I should buy them or wait for newer editions/versions. I couldn't find any reviews here on the DVDs out now. Anyone know if they're worth buying, or should I wait? I could live without buying them.

ThatGuamGuy 09-22-04 10:55 AM

'Devil's Advocate' is probably as good as it's gonna get (unless you want to get fancy and try to get one of the initial printing, which is the theatrical version of the film, as opposed to the slightly modified one currently available), but 'True Lies' has been mentioned as having an SE in the works for quite a while.

Actually, you should buy 'True Lies', then they'll probably finally announce the SE officially two days later.

Jonny2k1 09-22-04 11:19 AM

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Actually, you should buy 'True Lies', then they'll probably finally announce the SE officially two days later.
Agreed, take one for the team. The current True Lies DVD is worth buying, so I say why not go for it anyway.

Altimus Prime 09-22-04 02:03 PM

Got a good accounting of what's on those discs? Funny, I don't often watch extras, but I prefer discs with them. How's the video/audio quality? I don't want to get a movie that obviously needs cleaned up and/or restored, which is what often happens on those special/anniversary/directors editions.

nova 09-22-04 03:11 PM

How would I know if my version of Devil's Advocate is the original theatrical release over the "no statue" re-release without watching the film? I ask because I have a sealed copy but I want the original. Thanks!

Blade 09-22-04 03:39 PM

True Lies has no extras except for the trailer. It does have a whole separate menu page titled Bonus Features to tell you that, though. :D

True Lies is also non-anamorphic, although the video transfer is about as good as you can get without being anamorphic.

I own it, and am glad to have it, but I bought it when it first came out 5 years ago. You might want to consider renting it instead. Then again there really is no hard date on the rerelease of this DVD. 9/11 put the cooler on it for some time, and it's probably not going to be out earlier than next year at this point. If you think you'd get your money's worth out of it, go for it.

ThatGuamGuy 09-22-04 03:43 PM

Originally posted by nova
How would I know if my version of Devil's Advocate is the original theatrical release over the "no statue" re-release without watching the film?
The numbers on the spine are different.

EDIT: It looks like the original one is "15090", the new one is "16172". I don't have the disc in front of me, but, from memory, on the spine, near the bottom, around the WB logo, one of those two numbers is there.

natevines 09-22-04 03:53 PM

Considering that you have the VHS of True Lies and an SE may be imminent, I'd say hold off on it as you can at least watch the film.

Spy021 09-22-04 08:12 PM

Originally posted by nova
How would I know if my version of Devil's Advocate is the original theatrical release over the "no statue" re-release without watching the film? I ask because I have a sealed copy but I want the original. Thanks!
I own a copy of the original release and on the bottom of the back of the cover, above the WB logo, there is a red box that contains the text:

"The large white sculpture of human forms on the wall of John Milton's penthouse in "Devil's Advocate" is not connected in any way and was not endorsed by the sculptor Frederick Hart or the Washington National Cathedral, joint copyright owners of the Cathedral sculpture "Ex Nihilo" in Washtington D.C."

as also mentioned, the spine number is : 15090

nova 09-22-04 10:35 PM

What takes the place of that statue in the re-release? Sucks because that moving human statue was so devils's advocate.

wm lopez 09-23-04 01:07 AM

Wasn't there going to be an expration date that after so many years they can add the scene of the statue again?

And on TRUE LIES I have heard alot of a Spec. Ed in the works.

So I think they are trying to sell off their stock with these deals, because the new spec. ed. dvds are on the way.
I saw this happen with GOODFELLAS.
That dvd was always on sale the past year.
And now it's a spec. ed.
So don't buy, wait!!

marioxb 09-23-04 06:35 AM

They just digitally erased the people from the statues. They are blank up until they start to move. When they start moving, it's like the people magically just appear there. It's actually not that bad. I own both the original and modified versions.

ThatGuamGuy 09-23-04 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Spy021
I own a copy of the original release and on the bottom of the back of the cover, above the WB logo, there is a red box that contains the text:
Spy, is that a sticker, or is it actually on the case? I had thought it was a sticker, in which case, of course, it could be removed and the disc could still be what he wanted. But I don't actually have the disc, so I'm not sure.

And thanks for confirming the spine #.

Altimus Prime 09-23-04 10:06 AM

Originally posted by marioxb
They just digitally erased the people from the statues. They are blank up until they start to move. When they start moving, it's like the people magically just appear there. It's actually not that bad. I own both the original and modified versions.
IIRC, that's how it is on my VHS, too. It's just a white swirl. First what happens is the people appear like statues. Then they seem to come alive. So is that original, or altered?

As for the DVDs, I guess I'll pass on both.

CrumpsBrother 09-23-04 11:32 PM

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Spy, is that a sticker, or is it actually on the case?
The disclaimer is printed right on the case, as part of the back cover artwork, in a big red box.

I used to see these used all the time about a year and half ago. Snagged a mint copy for myself and now never see them at all anymore...

rfduncan 09-24-04 09:51 AM

True Lies is like 8 bucks or something. It audio/video is pretty good as far as I recall. If you don't care about extras, just get it.

steebo777 09-24-04 10:05 AM

Originally posted by rfduncan
True Lies is like 8 bucks or something. It audio/video is pretty good as far as I recall. If you don't care about extras, just get it.
Unless you are someone who has a 16:9 screen where a non-anamorphic movie just won't do :)

Kromax 09-24-04 11:54 AM

True Lies is worth it just for the Harrier chapter. It's one of my best demo scenes for ear-pounding, take-your-breath-away sound.

marioxb 09-24-04 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Altimus Prime
IIRC, that's how it is on my VHS, too. It's just a white swirl. First what happens is the people appear like statues. Then they seem to come alive. So is that original, or altered?

As for the DVDs, I guess I'll pass on both.

That is the alterted version. In the original, the people are there all of the time. It is never blank.

Also, True Lies has Eliza Dushku in it, though she was kinda young in it.

Shroud 09-28-04 10:45 PM

I broke down and bought the Spanish version of True Lies when I was in Spain earlier this year. It has a great anamorphic transfer, I also bought anamorphic version of Scream too.