DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   STAR WARS - DVD GLITCH!!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/386616-star-wars-dvd-glitch.html)

dallas75205 09-21-04 03:37 PM

STAR WARS - DVD GLITCH!!!!

Has anyone else noticed a glitch in the Star Wars "A New Hope" dvd?

I just started to watch it and noticed at the beginning (TRACK 3) of the movie where the camera is tilting down and the ship passes by you see a jump. If you're watching the planet in the background before the ship comes into view you see the planet jump several times. I was previewing this on my computer but don't think that's the problem as I watch movies on it all the time and have never had a problem with it before.

If anyone else has a copy of this and has a home dvd player I'd appreciate it if they could look for this. If it is a problem with the dvd - I'm sure someone will get fired or sued as I can't imagine Lucas would have wanted the movie to go out like this.

Jeff

Toad 09-21-04 03:43 PM

Didn't notice it on mine.

Forum Troll 09-21-04 03:47 PM

I noticed the same thing while watching it on the PC in PowerDVD, but not on my standalone connected to the TV. Software players suck anyway, so it's the software, not the disc.

dallas75205 09-21-04 03:50 PM

OK. Cool. I'm in the middle of moving and didn't have my Home DVD player hooked up. I was just checking out the menues of Star Wars on my PC. I saw the glitch and started getting worried. I'm glad it's NOT the dvd and just the PowerDVD software. It's kinda weird though as I've never had anything like this happend before with the PowerDVD player.

Toad 09-21-04 03:53 PM

The menus are glorious, no? ;)

Superboy 09-21-04 04:26 PM

My ESB disk doesn't play. I had to drive back and get a new one.

Toad 09-21-04 05:58 PM

Sorry to hear that. :(

G-Rex 09-21-04 07:06 PM

My ESB skips at the beginning. ANH has some skipping problems too.

This is both on a standalone player and my computer.

drjay 09-21-04 07:12 PM

Likewise on my ANH, there are skips here and there (one that comes to mind is when the eye pops up out of the water in the garbage compactor). Also, I had the contrast on my set turned way up for my Gamecube, and forgot to turn it down, and whenever there is a Tie Fighters on screen (in ANH at least) it has a big red or green hazy boax around it, looks like some sort of residual CG thing. It's weird.

Toad 09-21-04 07:27 PM

It's there regardless I believe; it's how they had to make that effect in 1975-1976. You'll notice it gets better throughout the trilogy.

drjay 09-21-04 07:30 PM

Hunh, I never noticed it before. Weird. Thanks for the info.

jiggawhat 09-21-04 07:34 PM

These star wars threads are as numerous as the changes made by lucas to the dvds. Makes me laugh.

0rac 09-21-04 08:23 PM

I dont want to make a new topic, so can i get some help!
Is my disc for ANH screwed up?

When Obi-wan pulls off his hood, before looking over at R2, there is a beep sound. Its not R2. Anyone else hear this?

Right before Han says to Greedo "I bet you have", Greedo talks but the subtitle doesn't appear. All his other subtitles do.

When Vader/Obi-wan are fighting, around the time Vader says "Your powers are weak old man" I see some green flashing on the screen.

Anyone else having these problems?

Toad 09-21-04 08:31 PM

Originally posted by jiggawhat
These star wars threads are as numerous as the changes made by lucas to the dvds. Makes me laugh.
Complain to a moderator to create a sub-forum; they have ignored all of my posts/reports. It's a giant release spanning 3 films - the number of threads was to be expected; I imagine it'll only increase.

ORAC -- I have not noticed any of those issues; try it on another player and see if they're still there.

meharry2003 09-21-04 09:24 PM

I didn't notice it at all, sounds like a computer thing to me

0rac 09-21-04 09:49 PM

I asked the at TheForce.net and many told me the "green" flash during the fight, is normal. I guess others do have that.

outcastja 09-22-04 12:12 AM

Where is the layer change in Episode IV? Does it occur after Vader/Tarkin talking then a cut to the Millennium Falcon jumping into hyperspace? I haven't watched them for a while so was wondering if it was some glitch because the cut seemed abrupt.

jarofclay73 09-22-04 12:21 AM

I have a couple of glitches at around 58:00 when Tarkin is asking for the location of the rebel base. And another couple of glitches when Obi-Wan feels a tremor in the force after Alderaan in blown up. And one more right before the Falcon jumps out of hyperspace at Alderaan. I have a JVC XV-523GD player.

Also, my Power DVD glitches in the Obi-Wan section.

Mr. Cornell 09-22-04 02:48 AM

I have a glitch when Alec Guinness is saying he felt a tremor in the force, right when he says 'if was as if a million voices cried out in terror' - POW, it skips, sometimes it recovers after a moment, other times it jumps to the next chapter. Weird.

PC_Hater 09-22-04 03:39 AM

I'm going to have to return my set as well. I was checking out ANH. Just watching bits of it here and there to see how it looked. While watching the scene where Obi-Wan grabs the blast helmet to put on Luke, the was a major pause. Right as he grabs the helmet, everything freezes. At first, I'm thinking this is an odd place for a layer change. As it continued, my heart sank. It starts again after about 5 seconds, as Luke is saying that he can't see anything with the blast shield down. I've looked at the scene 10 times and it does it in the same exact place every time. I took a close look at the disc and I can't see anything on the playing surface.

I feel a disturbance in the force.

Chooch 09-22-04 06:51 AM

jarofclay73,

I am having the same exact problem. I believe it is chapter 26.

There is some pixelization, the screen pauses and then skips ahead 30 seconds.

I have an older Sony player. I haven't tried it on my pc yet.

mikewendt 09-22-04 07:01 AM

I watched the entire movie strait through last night with out a single problem.

JupiterPrime 09-22-04 07:14 AM

i have the slight glitch that the OP of this thread stated - I didnt notice it at first but caught it most definitely when listening to the commentary track - it is more evident then

HotThang 09-22-04 07:16 AM

I played mine in PowerDVD and had no problems at all with Chapter 3. I hope this is a good sign!

Do you guys mind giving TIMES when you report pixelation, jumps, etc.? It would REALLY help! Gracias!

Sam

rnb67 09-22-04 07:31 AM

I am not sure if this is the case on the VHS Special Edition, but on ANH, at around 1:36:46, I noticed a red square box around one of the ships that Han and Luke are trying to shoot. You see this as the fighter moves diagonally across the screen.

I have yet to check out the other two discs.