DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Twin Peaks Season 2 DVD - More Bad News

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-04, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Peaks Season 2 DVD

Again bad news about Twin Peaks: Beacn Jornal 09/16/04

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/living/9676865.htm?1c

"Q: Will the second season of ``Twin Peaks'' ever be released on DVD? The first season has been on DVD in the U.S. for some time now. I know the second season was released in Europe but not the United States.

A: This is a recurring (and unanswered) question among fans of the 1990-91 ABC drama. The first season was released on DVD by Artisan Entertainment, which late last year agreed to merge with another company, Lions Gate. But when I called a Lions Gate publicist -- who sounded very tired of the question -- she at first said there wasn't ``a confirmed date'' for the release of the second season, then wouldn't say if a second-season release was planned at all."
Old 09-20-04, 08:23 PM

Last I heard sales weren't good enough for them to make profit off releasing the second season but there has been some talk of getting it out in other regions.
Old 09-20-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damnit..got my hopes up!
Old 09-20-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lion's Gate has no plans to release this set because the rights are reverting back to Paramount in 2005. As to why Lion's Gate/Artisan hadn't released them before now, Paramount owns the original source negatives and wouldn't give them to Artistan for remastering because they were going to make their own set later.
Old 09-20-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Paramount is releasing Season 2! Thats sucks! all the paramount TV Sets have NO Special Features (except Lucy & star trek) and they are all TOO expensive!
Old 09-20-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by critterdvd
Paramount is releasing Season 2! Thats sucks! all the paramount TV Sets have NO Special Features (except Lucy & star trek) and they are all TOO expensive!
No special features would be fine with me as long as they make the damn_thing. My VHS tapes are close to being done
Old 09-20-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait....when was this released in Europe? Anybody have a link?
Old 09-20-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by calhoun07
Wait....when was this released in Europe? Anybody have a link?
From what I recall it was due this year but has been postponed.
Old 09-20-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Yeah, it comes down to this:

Artisan licenesed the Republic/Spelling Entertainment Catalog from Paramount because Paramount didn't think it had any value.

Paramount rethinks the decision, and makes it extremely difficult for Artisan to release the material they licensed. Which is why there is no second season of Twin Peaks, and why you occasionally see Artisan releasing shitty quality pan and scan DVDs. Apparently there was a loophole in the contract that allowed Paramount to withhold the orignal elements needed to make new transfers.

I have no doubt that Artisan would've released the rest of Twin Peaks if they were able to. It was a huge seller despite the high price and not including the pilot.
Old 09-20-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
this set has the pilot and Seasons 1 and 2 right? (PAL format)

Old 09-20-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, it comes down to this:

Artisan licenesed the Republic/Spelling Entertainment Catalog from Paramount because Paramount didn't think it had any value.

Paramount rethinks the decision, and makes it extremely difficult for Artisan to release the material they licensed. Which is why there is no second season of Twin Peaks, and why you occasionally see Artisan releasing shitty quality pan and scan DVDs. Apparently there was a loophole in the contract that allowed Paramount to withhold the orignal elements needed to make new transfers.

I have no doubt that Artisan would've released the rest of Twin Peaks if they were able to. It was a huge seller despite the high price and not including the pilot.
Which all means we will probably see Paramount releasing season two sometime in the next couple of years. If we can just be patient...
Old 09-20-04, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by asianxcore
this set has the pilot and Seasons 1 and 2 right? (PAL format)

thats a bootleg.

i dont know how good the picture quality is.
Old 09-21-04, 12:34 AM

It is certainly not a bootleg. It's legitimate and from Spain. Quality isn't so great. I have it and I think it's OK.
Old 09-21-04, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
All I want are the episodes from Season 2 in good audio and video quality. I don't care about extras at this point, I just want to know the end of the story so I can watch FWWM finally
Old 09-21-04, 11:56 AM

so it's very possible that paramount is going to release season 2 next year. what about the pilot? does it have the same reason for not being released as season 2?
Old 09-21-04, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by steebo777
All I want are the episodes from Season 2 in good audio and video quality. I don't care about extras at this point, I just want to know the end of the story so I can watch FWWM finally
Same here. All I want is A/V quality comparable to the first set (they can drop the DTS tracks if totally necessary). They just need to get this set out already! I've never seen the second season either, so with the way the first season ends, the wait is killing me!

Edit: Oh yeah, if Paramount releases it, they'd better not add all that non-skippable crap before the menu like on South Park and Spongebob.

Last edited by bis22; 09-21-04 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-21-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
All I want is the pilot episode and all of the episodes of season 2 uncut with a nice transfer and sound. Not really looking for any extras at this point.

I think now that Star Wars (although not the original trilogy) is out, this is my most wanted DVD.
Old 09-21-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by costanza
so it's very possible that paramount is going to release season 2 next year.
I really have to ask to what that "so" is referring; certainly not the thread preceding it.

what about the pilot? does it have the same reason for not being released as season 2?
I think there's a third company who owns the rights to the video release of the pilot, but it's the same basic problem, yeah.

Is that Korean disc of the pilot the televised version, or the European theatrical release? And, is whichever one the Korean disc isn't available anywhere else?
Old 09-21-04, 12:37 PM

No special features would be fine with me as long as they make the damn_thing. My VHS tapes are close to being done
Exactly. At this point, I would pay top dollar for a double sided set with no special features. Just make it happen people. My VHS tapes can't hold out much longer.
Old 09-21-04, 02:49 PM
mxv

This is exactly why I still have a LD player hooked up. Someday I'm going to just go ahead and burn my own dvds of them.
Old 09-21-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by onebyone
Exactly. At this point, I would pay top dollar for a double sided set with no special features. Just make it happen people. My VHS tapes can't hold out much longer.
Be happy you at least have the tapes.
Old 09-21-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally caved in March of 03 and watched Season 2 in DiVX format that I got off the internet. Crappy quality but crappy quality is better than zero quality.
Speaking of Twin Peaks, that reminds me, I have to get my copy of the Region 0 DVD of the pilot episode back from my brother's girlfriend. I lent it to her weeks ago.
Old 09-22-04, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
I think there's a third company who owns the rights to the video release of the pilot, but it's the same basic problem, yeah.
Warner Bros. actually owns the rights to the pilot. They acquired it from Propaganda Films & Spelling Entertainment in exchange for financing.

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Is that Korean disc of the pilot the televised version, or the European theatrical release? And, is whichever one the Korean disc isn't available anywhere else?
The DVD for the pilot episode is actually a Taiwanese import. It's the televised version, not the Warner-commissioned so-called "European Theatrical Version" with the fake spoiler ending tacked on. Warner's copyright does not extend to Taiwan so Republic Pictures (a subsidiary of Spelling Entertainment) was able to release the proper version of the pilot finally on DVD. Warner has been a perpetual pain-in-the-ass about licensing the pilot to anyone or themselves releasing the proper televised version (on any format). You can buy the Taiwanese import from several of the major online places. Amazon has it for $24.58.
Old 09-22-04, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is the TV version. It’s not great quality, but it’s quite worth getting if you’re a fan of the series. The European theatrical version had that tagged on ending that wrapped the story up real quick, though clumsily. If the pilot ever gets released in the U.S., having thr European theatrical version added as an extra would be very interesting.
Old 09-22-04, 06:13 AM

Two nagging thoughts:

1. Paramount is not much of an eager beaver when it comes to non-Star Trek DVD releases, so I wonder if it's really reasonable to expect that they'll rush to get Season 2 out once they re-acquire the rights next year. After all, they can hardly be bothered to release proper SE's for some of their huge catalogue titles, and those represent considerably higher profit margins than Twin Peaks does.

2. If Paramount does decide to release Twin Peaks, will they go ahead and release a complete set (Season 1 & 2 together) as opposed to just a Season 2 set? Twin Peaks only ran two seasons, and season 1 only consisted of 7 episodes (8 if you count the 2 hr. pilot), so they might just release the whole thing as one big box set. The entire series, pilot included, could fit on 8 DVD's so it's not that far-fetched. Personally, I love Twin Peaks enough to double-dip, but unloading the old season 1 set when everyone else knows that there is no stand-alone season 2 set would be a real bitch. You'd probably have a hard time unloading it for more than $20 if that ends up being the case. We'd all have to sell-off those old season 1 sets super-quick before the word gets out to all the J6P's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.