Vote for "Popular Season 2" Cover Art

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vote for "Popular Season 2" Cover Art

at this link

http://www.hypemakers.net/popular/

you can vote for the cover art of the second (and final) season of Popular's Cover ARt. There are three choices...
Old 09-20-04, 09:53 PM

I personally voted for DVD #3, because it looks the most like the show
Old 09-20-04, 11:16 PM

I voted for 3 as well, because it's got everyone in the cast (well most), not just Sam and Brooke.
Old 09-20-04, 11:18 PM

I like #3 as well... more colorful and you get shots of the entire cast which is nice.
Old 09-21-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
I too voted for cover #3. I like *both* the pics of Sam and Brooke better than the other ones, plus you get the rest of the cast too. Also, #3 says "final season" instead of "second season", so it subconsciously makes me feel like I've got a complete set (kinda like how the Keen Eddie box says "the entire series" instead of just "season one" - 'cos you KNOW there won't be a season two!)

Also, I got my Popular Season One set today from DDD and have watched three episodes of this show already. Sounds silly, but I can't believe how much I LOVED this show when it was on!
Old 09-21-04, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I voted for 3 as well. Anything with Mary Cherry on it gets my vote!!!

#1 would have made a great Season 1 cover. I can not WAIT to pick this up today!
Old 09-21-04, 09:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I too voted #3.
Old 09-21-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also voted for #3.
Old 09-21-04, 10:10 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
#3 for me, because of the entire cast issue, plus the fact that it shows the cliques...
Spoiler:
although by season 2 those cliques had changed and sort of melted together/apart in different places.
Plus it features Tamara Mello... the reason I actually gave the show a shot in first place.
Old 09-21-04, 01:12 PM

hey Rex Fenestrarum,

could you tell me which episodes got commentaries on the season one set? thanks.
Old 09-21-04, 02:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Man! I forgot this came out today. Looks like I will be picking this up very soon.
Old 09-21-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be honest, I haven't even checked the extras yet - I just finished disc 2 today - finsihed with 8 episodes!!!

I *will* check this out for ya and post back sometime LATE this evening!
Old 09-21-04, 04:55 PM

I'm so poor right now but I'm purchasing POPULAR as soon as I get paid next week. Until then...my VHS recordings will have to do. Please post about the transfers someone...the TV series was nicely photographed and I'd love to see how it turns out on DVD.
Also - I wonder if Season 2 will conclude "properly"?
Old 09-21-04, 08:12 PM

I got the set a few days early and watched the whole thing over the weekend.

I was very pleased with the music: they changed a decent amount of it (about 40%? - which is to be expected) and sometimes it is somewhat painfully generic, but for the most part it's unnoticable... even a plus in some scenes, where it is less distracting. They even went to the trouble to replace songs with something similar sounding. Interesting how songs by the likes of Amber and Prozzak couldn't be cleared but songs by Madonna and George Michael made it. Does anyone know how that works exactly, getting music cleared? Even on the commentary Leslie Grossman is suprised they cleared Ray Of Light. There are a lot of scenes with people singing or interacting to the music playing and none of those scenes were cut. We've all heard (or seen) the TV on DVD horror stories of scenes involving music just being cut, so big thumbs up to Buena Vista who IMO did this set justice.

I'm not an expert on video quality (and yes Popular is very visual and slick) but the picture looks pretty spotless and immaculate to me.

Someone asked about commentaries: they are on "Round One" (the first ep.), "Caged!" (where all the girls are locked in the bathroom) and "Hard On The Outside, Soft In The Middle" (where Lily and Mary Cherry fight over a lobster). They feature Ryan Murphy (creator), Jamie Babbit (producer/director) and stars Leslie Bibb, Leslie Grossman, Bryce Johnson and Christopher Gorham (with both Leslies on only 2 each)... the commentaries are more funny than informative. Everyone is hysterical whenever Mary Cherry is on screen. Ryan Murphy hints that some of the girls actually hated each other and weren't acting so much... it's been hinted at before that someone in the cast was a nightmare but I can't figure out who...

Entertainment Weekly had mentioned a deleted scene feature which didn't turn up here. Shame.

Oh, I voted for cover 3 also. Looks like everyone did.
Old 09-22-04, 01:27 AM

Location: on my couch watching dvds of course .. where else ???
i love #3 too ......
Old 09-22-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i also voted for #3
Old 09-22-04, 03:22 AM
Banned

voted for #3

btw, what ever happened to these two actresses? i remember leslie bibb was on the it list for a while but then she suddenly disappeared...tells you how fickle hollywood is
Old 09-22-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by UKingdom
voted for #3

btw, what ever happened to these two actresses? i remember leslie bibb was on the it list for a while but then she suddenly disappeared...tells you how fickle hollywood is
Well, both have been somewhay busy. Leslie Bibb was in that horrible movie The Skulls then did a a couple of indie films and spent a year on the TV show ER. She's doing something on TV now.

Carly Pope has apparently done a lot fof stuff, although I only remember her from Orange County. More movies and less TV than Bibb.

Has anyone watched the discs with the subtitles on? Anyone else noticed that they screwed up the lyrics for the themesong? The actual lyrics are:

Well me and thee, we ain't supermodels

But the subtitles say:

Well me and B, we hate supermodels

Almost like reading the lyrics sheet to an album from Japan!! (record collector's joke)
Old 09-22-04, 12:31 PM

I'm glad to hear songs by Madonna cleared - she is a well-known fan of Popular (before she stopped watching TV - the ol' gal is just too much!). Hearing her say that is what made me take interest in the show (several episodes late when it first aired, however.)
Old 09-22-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted for #2 even though it is a copycat of season one's cover.
Old 09-22-04, 06:24 PM

The lyrics to Popular's theme song is actually correct on the DVD subtitles. When it aired on TV I think they had it wrong, the "me and thee" thing... I have Kendall Payne's CD and the lyrics say "Me and B" which is sort of fitting for the show because a few of the characters called Brooke "B", and Leslie Bibb was the one who reccomended the song for the credits. The credits cuts a line out of the original, it goes:
"well me and B we hate supermodels
it's not that we know anyone personally
it's just that I'm tired of being compared"
I actually put the subtitles on because I can bearly understand a word of the High School Highway song from the first episode/ ending credits. Is it just me?

Carly Pope, from what I've read, wasn't enjoying life in Hollywood and moved back to Canada and is on some show there now. Leslie Bibb has gotten on a few high profile TV show pilots that just didn't take off, and a steady role on ER ain't bad... funny thing about ER, I passed it by one day, saw her on it and also the actress' who played Exquisitte Woo and Miss Glass all in the same ep. Another place to find random Popular actors are the movies Pumpkin and But I'm A Cheerleader.

About the Madonna thing- I've never read her comment on Popular and still find it hard to believe she was one of the 1-2 million people watching, but Ryan Murphy has mentioned her being a fan a number of times... he met her when he did some work on the script for The Next Best Thing and I guess it came up then...?
Old 09-22-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Voted #3
Old 09-27-04, 02:06 PM

Voted #3 as well.
Old 10-22-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
#3 for me too.

I'm currently watching the discs. I had forgotten how funny this show is! I love Miss Glass, Sir and April Tuna....and of course Miss Mary Cherry!