Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One & Only Thread About Star Wars Trilogy Audio Quality

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

One & Only Thread About Star Wars Trilogy Audio Quality

Old 09-20-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes its a movie and it can be criticized!!! And you should be able to discuss the technical merits of the DVD without fear of being bashed!!!!!

Blind faith leads you to accept less than optimal products!!!!
Old 09-20-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
In Star Wars, the Force theme was symbolic of Obi-Wan and the values he held from the days of the Old Republic. He was instrumental in rescuing Leia and bringing Artoo to the Rebel base so they could attack the Death Star. Losing the Force theme when the X-Wings take their first Death Star run takes away the meaning of why the Rebellion is doing this in the first place: They are carrying an important tradition that he felt so strongly in.
Old 09-20-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I am so sick of all of these SW fans nit-picking everything to death!

ITS A FRIGGIN MOVIE!!!!
If this were on any other message board, you might have a point. However, this is a forum where movies are the main event, so every level of "nit-picking" should be expected.
Old 09-20-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe after his death someone will go back and reconstruct the originals like they did with Chaplin, but its going to be a hell of a wait.
Do we really need to start wishing for Lucas' death. Why do we always have to resort to the "after Lucas is dead" or "I wish Lucas dead" bullsh*t?

Well, we're talking about "as the X-wings start their run" where allegedly the Force theme has been drowned out--not "trashed" as suggested by chanster--by the special f/x
I'll be willing to bet more than anything that Ben Burtt is responsible for this crap. On more than once occasion in the commentary, he talks about how the sound effects need breathing room as well, and that sometimes the score drowns out the sound effects. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he did that intentionally, because that doesn't sound like something that would be a mistake. Lucas should let Skywalker Sound handle the mixes instead of Burtt.

As for the score being reversed in the surround channels, this is an obvious error. This was not intentional. If it was, ESB and ROTJ would have the same problem.
Old 09-20-04, 06:44 PM

RE: The Rear Chennel Music Flip

1. Have any of you that have complained about this error compared it directly to the 1997 SE LaserDisc release in Dolby Digital (Not a bootlegged DVD, but the actual LD.)

If the answer is "yes," then there might be a problem.

2. Do any of the other ambient sound effects in the mix sound off. IE, when a ship or laserblast is crossing the sound field, does it match the on-screen action?

If the answer is "no," then most likely, the mixing of the music was a deliberate choice.

fitprod
Old 09-20-04, 06:53 PM

i would suggest to everyone to stop reading these lists of all the changes. if you dont look at them you might not even notice some of the changes. and it'll be one less thing youll be dissapionted with this release.
Old 09-20-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great advice! It'll be the only thing I'm disappointed about though. And as I've said, if it doesn't make me go "motherfucker what the shit just happened!" I don't really care.

[Note: No, I did not say that when Jar Jar Binds appeared on screen in AOTC. I won't say it when I see Hayden in place of Shaw. I said it several times after I realizing I actually watched "Dude Where's My Car" out of pure astonishment or selective memory, I don't know which.]
Old 09-20-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts
When Artoo opens the door to the escape pod, the button he pushes buzzes.
Cancelling my pre-order...

I'm not surprised that such a list exists, given the obsessive nature of fans in general and SW fans in particular, but I really don't see any of these being life changing.

I hope that if GL ever does release the original versions of these movies, he releases them in mono. It'll be just like watching the old VHS tapes on the 25 inch console in the family room.
Old 09-20-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what is the consenus on buying the dvd tomorrow? Buy it and hope that Lucas will send out replacement discs or wait? I'm just curious what people are going to do. Thanks.
Old 09-20-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No one knows..they haven't even acknowledged there is a problem yet..and this just appeared today on the forums!
Old 09-20-04, 07:17 PM
Cool New Member

Greedo did NOT shoot first! :\
Old 09-20-04, 07:30 PM

Do any of the other ambient sound effects in the mix sound off. IE, when a ship or laserblast is crossing the sound field, does it match the on-screen action?
Everything in the front channels and LFE is accurate. The sound effects and the steering in the rear channels is accurate. Williams' score in the surround channels is reversed. This is only a problem in Star Wars. In ESB and ROTJ, the score is in the correct position.

Greedo did NOT shoot first!
Old news! At least they made the scene look better, more natural. Now, they basically shoot at the same time. Greedo still shoots a millisecond before Han. But this is one change that's going to stay. Lucas is not going to restore it to Han shooting first. So I'm glad they at least tried to make it look better.

Last edited by Terrell; 09-20-04 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-20-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This official response from Lucasfilm was taken from a post by Bill Hunt over at HTF:

"We are always impressed with how closely fans listen to the many different sound mixes we have made for the Star Wars movies over the years. It is flattering to know that, indeed, the audience is listening. Consequently, each mix comes out differently and any changes that you hear on the all-new Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX tracks on the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set are deliberate creative decisions. We can confirm that there are no technical glitches as reported."
It looks like Lucas and Fox are covering their a**es on what is a major technical flaw on the New Hope disc.

No one in their right mind could believe that the rear channel mixup is somehow a "deliberate creative decision."

Ugh.

Last edited by Gerry P.; 09-20-04 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-20-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Gerry P.

It looks like Lucas and Fox are covering their a**es on what is a major technical flaw on the New Hope disc.
Or Lucas heard the Williams music and said "In my original vision of Star Wars the music is reversed in the rear channels, but keep it the other way on Empire and Jedi. There my movies are finally perfect."

I know with other DVDs that had errors like Jurassic Park, Monty Python's Meaning of Life, Back to the Future, etc it took time for the studio to final admit to the mistake and fix it. This one may be very problematic because they are going to have a recall of millions of discs on their hands (of course most people probably never notice or ask for a replacement). In the end I bet Fox will admit to the problem and fix it. It will take time to get them to approve it.

Last edited by darkside; 09-20-04 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-20-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or Lucas heard the Williams music and said "In my original vision of Star Wars the music reversed [in the rear surround channels only], but keep it the other way on Empire and Jedi. There my movies are finally perfect."
Indeed.

This must seriously mess with the stereo sound field. Of course, I'll never know because my set will stay sealed until Lucasarts announces a faulty disc exchange.
Old 09-20-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Gerry P.
This official response from Lucasfilm was taken from a post by Bill Hunt over at HTF:

No one in their right mind could believe that the rear channel mixup is somehow a "deliberate creative decision."

Ugh.
Bastards...I predicted this 2 pages back.

I can just see Lucas issuing the following statement in lieu of a recall:

" I wasn't really happy with the force theme fanfare during the assault on the Death Star, so I thought it would be best if we toned it down"

"Also, I thought John's (Williams) original score needed a bit of tweaking. So to really screw with the audience, I decided to chang it up a little".
Old 09-20-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
Maybe after his death someone will go back and reconstruct the originals like they did with Chaplin, but its going to be a hell of a wait.

-ant
Old 09-20-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
Or Lucas heard the Williams music and said "In my original vision of Star Wars the music is reversed in the rear channels, but keep it the other way on Empire and Jedi. There my movies are finally perfect."

If I recall correctly, Universal admitted to "The Back to the Future" screw-up before its street date and announced an exchange program fairly soon afterwards (but there was a wait before the new pressing was available). I didn't think it was possible, but this response from LucasFilm has stooped to a new low.

I agree with another poster. Someone with the 5.1 laserdiscs needs to do a comparison of the two soundtracks.
Old 09-20-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No Universal did not announce it before the street date.
Old 09-20-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guess Ill hold of on this until it becomes clear whats happening. Unlike most, Im not in that much of a rush to buy the DVD, I can wait a bit
Old 09-20-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: RE: The Rear Chennel Music Flip

Originally posted by fitprod
1. Have any of you that have complained about this error compared it directly to the 1997 SE LaserDisc release in Dolby Digital (Not a bootlegged DVD, but the actual LD.)

If the answer is "yes," then there might be a problem.
The answer is yes...I just popped in the 97 SE LD...in Dolby Digital...and the music is very audible on that disc...in the new version you can't hear it at all...
Old 09-20-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dazed
Guess Ill hold of on this until it becomes clear whats happening. Unlike most, Im not in that much of a rush to buy the DVD, I can wait a bit
The only incentive of buying it tomorrow, or this week, is that you can find it relatively cheap at around $40. What I'll do is buy the trilogy but not open it. Then I'll check out others reactions as to the sound glitch in ANH and find out if it really IS that noticable at all. This whole "glitch" issue may be blown out of proportion.
Old 09-20-04, 10:12 PM

This is just like a lot of the major PC game releases. Some massive, obvious, GLARING bug slips through in the retail release and makes you wonder if the beta testers were totally asleep at the switch. Only a corpse could miss some of these screw-ups.

The same applies here. Did they actually watch this on a 5.1 system before saying "Hey, ship it!" or did they spend all their testing time staring at Leia's breasts with the restoration equipment?
Old 09-20-04, 10:35 PM

Of course they are. They don't want to spend the millions of dollars to issue a recall, or offer disc replacements. Can you imagine what it would cost on a release this huge? They should issue a recall, or offer replacement discs. But they won't, at least not until or unless they're called on it in the national media.

In fact, that reply to Bill Hunt came from some anonymous Lucasfilm spokesman.

Nope, because if it was, ESB and ROTJ would have the same issue.
Old 09-20-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Rehevkor
This is just like a lot of the major PC game releases. Some massive, obvious, GLARING bug slips through in the retail release and makes you wonder if the beta testers were totally asleep at the switch.
I just hope the patch that restores these to the original versions gets released soon.

I would hate to be the guy that is responsible for this. Being responsible for millions of recalled DVDs can't be good for job security.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.