Reload this Page >

One & Only Thread About Star Wars Trilogy Audio Quality

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

One & Only Thread About Star Wars Trilogy Audio Quality

Old 09-20-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Kal-El
And if a plane flew by as I'm watching the scene, I'm not going to rewind it so that I can hear the Force Theme--which I love by the way. What's the big deal?
You know, if someone comes in during that scene to ask me a question and I miss a few minutes, I may not rewind either. Guess they should just remove the scene entirely, eh?

Seriously, this has to be the silliest defending of a change (or mistake, we don't know yet) I've ever seen. "If a plane flew by"?
Old 09-20-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
I do. Those of us that agreed the bass was way off compared to the Dolby Digital version and original DTS laserdisc were told by many that we didn't know how to adjust our subwoofers, we were being to picky, we were insane, etc. Oddly enough Universal ends up fixing the sound. Guess Universal had their subwoofer improperly set up as well.
That's amazing to me, because I consider the missing bass in Jurassic Park to be VERY obvious. (I noticed it long before I even heard complaints on the internet, so I guess I missed the whole "persecution phase.") I wonder how obvious these new audio problems are in Star Wars, or would I need a degree in music or sound editing to notice? Guess we'll find out when more people begin reporting in this thread.

So how many are going to start up their DVD and skip right to the X-wing battle?
Old 09-20-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by candyrocket786
Maybe they (engineers/Lucas) figured, "Hell, it's Star Wars on dvd, fans will buy it no matter what".
They are right too.

If it is a mastering error like flipping the channels, Fox should recall them and fix the discs. A lot of the other stuff we will probably just had to live with. This is Lucas' vision, we can either buy it or not. The originals are out there in various forms so they are an option.
Old 09-20-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
This is Lucas' vision, we can either buy it or not. The originals are out there in various forms so they are an option.
People say this all the time...but the fact of the matter is: VHS is not an option!!!!

The format is inferior and will deteriorate with time.

...and don't even get me started on the LD's.
Old 09-20-04, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Lucasfilm/Fox issue a recall over this...what would be the suggestion for someone like me?...I do not have a surround setup and am in no particular rush to get one, thus I'll be listening to the 2.0 mix, not the surround.

And if it makes a difference, I only have hearing in my right ear (due to a birth defect).

Last edited by WhFastus; 09-20-04 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-20-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything becomes inferior and will deteriorate. Down the line DVD's will go down that route also.

Suck it up and get an LD if you want it so bad or stop complaining.
Old 09-20-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by candyrocket786
People say this all the time...but the fact of the matter is: VHS is not an option!!!!

The format is inferior and will deteriorate with time.

...and don't even get me started on the LD's.
A new DVD set is not an option either and the LDs look great. I would love Lucas to release the originals in a new DVD set more than anyone, but its not going to happen. Maybe after his death someone will go back and reconstruct the originals like they did with Chaplin, but its going to be a hell of a wait.
Old 09-20-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Everything becomes inferior and will deteriorate. Down the line DVD's will go down that route also.
True...but it will take a while

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Suck it up and get an LD if you want it so bad or stop complaining.
Already have them on DVD-R

But, I think your missing the point.

We're not bitching about "Greedo shoots first" or "Hayden in Jedi", it more so about the remastering of the audio or the pressing of the dvds themselves.
Old 09-20-04, 05:16 PM
Banned

My head hurts.
Old 09-20-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Green Jello
My head hurts.
Want some deathsticks?
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Green Jello
My head hurts.
Of course it does its a Star Wars thread.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can we keep this discussion focused on the audio problems?
Old 09-20-04, 05:18 PM
Banned

So who's going to start the petition to get the ANH disc recalled and replaced?

The reversed music in the surrounds is just with episode 4, right?
Old 09-20-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, this is some amazing news. I am still going to buy them, but I'm pretty fu**ing pissed off about it. There better be a recall, and well done one at that.
Old 09-20-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
You know, if someone comes in during that scene to ask me a question and I miss a few minutes, I may not rewind either. Guess they should just remove the scene entirely, eh?

Seriously, this has to be the silliest defending of a change (or mistake, we don't know yet) I've ever seen. "If a plane flew by"?
Well, we're talking about "as the X-wings start their run" where allegedly the Force theme has been drowned out--not "trashed" as suggested by chanster--by the special f/x, which I'm guessing will be the "whoosh" sounds of the X-wings. Hence the plane fly by analogy. It's not a defense. Seriously, does it ruin the entire movie for you? Would you really have to rewind to hear "This is it"?

I wasn't suggesting they remove the scene as you wrongly concluded. It's not like we're talking about the Vader speech from Empire here where the dialogue's pretty important that you'll HAVE to rewind in case someone does come over and ask you a question. Nice personal attack though.
Old 09-20-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seriously, does it ruin the entire movie for you?
Did the misframing of Back to the Future ruin the entire movie for you? Obviously it did, you sent yours back! Yet you complain when people say there is a major problem with the Star Wars audio, Makes zero sense.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=284330
Did the Leon screwed up soundtrack ruin it for you?

For some it does. I demanded corrected versions of Leon and Back to the Future. I will be demanding it for this movie as well. For a movie that boasts great soundtrack in its commercials but delivers a reversed soundtrack is just plain wrong.

Sony and Universal did the right thing with their discs. Lets see if Lucas does it for these movies. IT will tell us a lot about whether LucasFilm cares about quality or the allmight dollar.

For some an entire soundtrack that is reversed would ruin it for me, especially since the music is a big deal in the Star Wars universe. To bash people for saying it does is wrong. The screwed up Force theme is just one more reason to demand a correction.

Last edited by chanster; 09-20-04 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-20-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Well, this sure sucks. Now I gotta wait for the "Fox Recalls Star Wars disc" thread
Old 09-20-04, 05:36 PM

They are not reversed people!!! Thats the way he wanted them all along! Jeez....

seems the more he fixes them..the more he messes them up...this is great...I love it.
Old 09-20-04, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by chanster
Sony and Universal did the right thing with their discs. Lets see if Lucas does it for these movies. IT will tell us a lot about whether LucasFilm cares about quality or the allmight dollar.
Would an issue like this be up to Lucasfilm, or is it 20th Century Fox, since they are the distributor?
Old 09-20-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm guessing LucasFilm, 20th Century Fox might handle the actual distribution but it is Lucas' call on whether or not to re-press the discs.
Old 09-20-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm guessing LucasFilm, 20th Century Fox might handle the actual distribution but it is Lucas' call on whether or not to re-press the discs.
....or re-mix the audio.
Old 09-20-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the score is seriously that messed up, as posted by the digitalbits.com, then that should warrant a replacement disc.

Since I don't yet have the discs and can't listen/watch, I have no idea how bad it is. I'll watch tomorrow night.

I don't watch movies trying to pick out every little flaw; unless it's something that jumps out at me as a problem, I wouldn't notice until I read it here.
Old 09-20-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...For some an entire soundtrack that is reversed would ruin it for me, especially since the music is a big deal in the Star Wars universe. To bash people for saying it does is wrong. The screwed up Force theme is just one more reason to demand a correction....
I don't think anyone is bashing anyone here. People are just asking whether it's really that big of a deal. Some of us will feel it's silly; others will feel it's misleading advertising (rightfully so since "the best audio" can't even be good if it's wrong!).

I certainly thought the guy's list of "errors" or "problems" in ANH was funny; not the fact that the errors/problems were there, but just the mere fact that the guy knew the film so well and could compare changes over multiple releases/versions/formats of the film dating back to 1977. THAT is some serious dedication and support of the movies! More power to him!

But I do think it odd that neither he, nor our buddies here at DVDTalk who actually got the film last week, have commented on this MAJOR problem. Notice how none of them who've posted "I HAVE IT" threads have ventured in here yet.
Old 09-20-04, 06:10 PM

You guys want real audio mix messups? Check out the Original release of Disney's Tarzan- they matrixed like ALL the channels together if I remember...really nasty sounding! All of a sudden a character would talk in a front speaker, not move on screen, but then randomly talk in a surround speaker!! The CE fixed things up but yeech just flipping the score on the rears just cant compare in awfulness to the latter case IMHO...
Old 09-20-04, 06:10 PM
Banned

I am so sick of all of these SW fans nit-picking everything to death!

ITS A FRIGGIN MOVIE!!!!

And I'm a SW Fanatic...

I've seen ANH a good 150 times...and I'll tell ya what I didnt notice anything wrong with the musical cues at all when watching the DVD on my 5.1 system...

Last edited by QuiGonJosh; 09-20-04 at 06:12 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.