DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

online DVD rental: Netflix vs BlockBuster?

Old 09-17-04, 03:08 PM
Banned

online DVD rental: Netflix vs BlockBuster?

which one should I do? I am interested in quick turnaround time and value. I live in Massachusetts, south of Boston.
Old 09-17-04, 03:28 PM

I would use Netflix since they have a bigger selection (especially of tv dvds). Unless you live really close to a Blockbuster and you watch A LOT of DVDs, they I would pick Netflix.
Old 09-17-04, 03:42 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Netflix for variety of selection. If you're only into mainstream movies Netflix really starts to lose its appeal when you factor in other problems and you perhaps might be better off with the Blockbuster route.

I'm currently on my 3rd Netflix membership, and for the 3rd time the quality of service drops immediately and dramatically after your trial ends. Now, I definitely do not believe it's all been just coincidence.
Old 09-17-04, 04:19 PM
Banned

Netflix
Old 09-17-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe it's because I usually don't go for the big blockbuster movies, but I've never had any problems getting any movies from Netflix. Even on the rare chance that I decide I want a big in demand movie and put it at the top of my queue, I rarely have any delays receiving it. And I've been a member for a few years now.
Old 09-17-04, 04:31 PM
X
Administrator

Why don't you try out their free trials and see which you like best?

I'm finding I like Blockbuster.
Old 09-17-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both have advantages.

Netflix = better obscure titles & faster turnaround

Blockbuster = will soon be linked to brick&mortor stores, so that you can fill your rental slots *EITHER* online or in person. In otherwords, soon there will be *no* turnaround for popular items, just go get 'em, and you can still get the obscure stuff online. How netflix will compete then, I don't know. Partner with Hollywood Video again like they used to?
Old 09-17-04, 04:51 PM

I also liked www.GreenCine.com!

They, unquestionably, have the largest selection of obscure titles on DVD available for rent (including a large number of imports).

The only problem is that they only have one shipping location and it's in San Franciso. Since I'm in Cincinnati this translated into shipping times of 3-4 days per dvd.

Other than that, they were great and the selection can't be beat!

On the other hand, if I simply wanted to watch huge hits and new releases I would go with NetFlix.

Personally, I'm waiting for them to cave and lower their prices. Their stock has really taken a beating and I think they're going to have to lower their prices sooner rather than later. Wall Street gasped at the amount of money Netflix is spending to get each new customer!

Rule Number 1: Never raise your prices at the same time competition jumps on board!
Old 09-17-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Putting aside Blockbuster's piss-poor selection (as though that was something you could put aside), I've heard nothing but complaints about the slowness of their service.

That's simply anecdotal, though. But I fucking despise Blockbuster, so I'm passing it along in the hopes that they fail at whatever they try to do.

I had some problems with Netflix at first, about two years ago, and I think I must have written a nasty e-mail at least once a month. These days, or ever since they opened the near-Boston facility, it's been nothing but roses. I put the disc in the mail, they get it the next day, and I get my new disc no later than 2-3 days after I drop off my last one. I'd say for about the last year, I've been as pleased with Netflix as I've been with just about any other business I routinely patronize. My only complaint is that they carry R1/R0 discs only, and that's a business model that's falling way behind the times, as I only know a handful of serious movie freaks who don't have all-region PAL/NTSC capable machines. Nicheflix is "filling the niche" for the time being -- and Greencine isn't a great option for East Coasters as I understand it -- but I'd really love to do business with a single company that rents discs from everywhere with a turnaround time as fast as Netflix. And while that's not Netflix, it sure as hell won't be Blockbuster, which is evil incarnate let me remind you.
Old 09-17-04, 05:16 PM
Banned

I did netflix with a one month free trial from an invite from a buddy already using service. thanks.
Old 09-17-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blockbuster didn't get the movies to me nearly as fast as Netflix did.
Old 09-17-04, 05:32 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by MACD23
I did netflix with a one month free trial from an invite from a buddy already using service. thanks.
Then try the Blockbuster free trial with the "cooper" promo code.
Old 09-17-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found that Blockbuster was actually faster than Netflix. However, I had some issues with Blockbuster. I rented Criterion Spartacus but they only had disc one of a two disc set. Criterion Brazil, they had disc two and three but no disc one. Season three of Cheers... they had only one disc.
I have no particular loyality to Netflix. If Blockbuster had their stuff together I would have gladly switched to the same plan at a lower price point. IMO, they just aren't quite there yet.
Old 09-17-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blockbuster gave me a free month and then 6 months at $15.99 when I cancelled. They are not too bad and they have some movies netflix doesn't have.
Old 09-17-04, 09:53 PM

I love Netflix, the pretty much have everything in stock and their turnaround time is excellent.

The last time I used Blockbuster, they insisted on only stocking the fullscreen versions of "About A Boy" and "Insomnia", and they didn't stock "Back To The Future".

So it's no contest.
Old 09-17-04, 10:52 PM
Banned

netflix is just to damn expensive for the amount of rentals you get.
I do blockbuster in store unlimited rentals now.