DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   THX 1138 Bad discs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/385792-thx-1138-bad-discs.html)

RagingBull80 09-16-04 05:05 PM

THX 1138 Bad discs

Anyone else get bad discs? I bought it Wednesday night, opened it and the discs were scratched and had finger prints all over them! I was mad so I took the disc back and the replacement copy was the same way! I had to do this 3 more times and Target finally ran out of copies and had to give me my money back.

Mike Lowrey 09-16-04 05:08 PM

I don't have THX yet, but I just finally bought the Predator-CE and the second disc was loose and it had what looked like a finger-print on it, but it was a collection of small scratches. I hope it plays alright.

mdc3000 09-16-04 05:52 PM

Mine was fine...but annoyingly, on my Toshiba player, the english subtitles pop on at EVERY chapter stop....

MATT

gutwrencher 09-16-04 07:22 PM

problem free on my end...using Denon, Sony, JVC and a few other players. discs were mint. I have heard from other people that their discs are defective. sounds like possible player/disc conflicts. the people I spoke to also have Toshibas.

svrasputin 09-17-04 01:42 AM

My copy had some surface marks on disc 2, but I really don't think it will be a problem...(hopefully)

Bricks II 09-17-04 01:55 AM

My Toshiba SD-3750 was flawless, no subtitle problems at all. However, I also had a slightly scratched Disc 2, but it seemed to play OK.

I'll have to see if my SD-1600 upstairs acts up.

LuisL 09-17-04 04:14 AM

Re: THX 1138 Bad discs

Originally posted by RagingBull80
Anyone else get bad discs? I bought it Wednesday night, opened it and the discs were scratched and had finger prints all over them! I was mad so I took the disc back and the replacement copy was the same way! I had to do this 3 more times and Target finally ran out of copies and had to give me my money back.
that was the review copy for the factory.

just go exchange it, or clean it.

unclehulot 09-17-04 08:51 AM

Sounds like we need to call the THX quality control hotline!

The subtitle problem sounds a bit like the MP & the Holy Grail one for Toshibas.

davejt1 09-17-04 09:05 AM

My disc 1 was slashed up pretty bad - very wide marks.

spazz276 09-17-04 01:58 PM

I just picked one up at Walmart with the same problem. Disk one is scratched up pretty bad, disk 2 has minor scratches.

cajun_junky 09-17-04 02:46 PM

For those with scratched discs.....did the disc actually come off the spindle and was flopping around in the case?

RagingBull80 09-17-04 03:38 PM

Originally posted by cajun_junky
For those with scratched discs.....did the disc actually come off the spindle and was flopping around in the case?
No, the discs were safe on the spindles.

Leechboy 09-17-04 03:52 PM

Does this movie have one of those "Made in Mexico" stickers on the back of the case? Almost every movie I have boughten with one of those has been scratched/ or had fingerprints.

Pelayu 09-17-04 04:12 PM

yeah, these Mexicans are really dangerous guys :lol:

jough 09-18-04 02:53 PM

The packaging was fine with both discs, and no scratches, thankfully, other than a few little light ones, but both discs were covered with SOOT and were positively filthy. The rest of the packaging was fine (except the trays where the discs sat) but god, just awful.

I know they often pack DIGIPAKs by hand, but this is just ridiculous.

natevines 09-18-04 03:11 PM

I bought mine at Costco and it was perfect.
How the hell can fingerprints get on them?

Mike Lowrey 09-18-04 03:39 PM

Just got mine in the mail today. Watched it on my Pioneer DV-434 and it was fine. The disc made a little bit of "adjustment noises" in the player as it was going through the main menu load screen, but other than that, it played fine, with no subtitle problem whatsoever. Didn't even bother to check for scratches.

Mike Lowrey 09-18-04 03:44 PM

On the movie itself though...very strange movie. I found myself laughing at some of the background dialogue. It was like TPTB that were running the "city" didn't know what they were doing half the time. Especially in the scene where THX is undergoing those "spasms" in the "white prison".

The ending car chase scene was my favorite scene of the whole movie. Funny thing is that I used to have a couple Matchbox cars of those police cars. What were those things anyway?

Novasonic 09-19-04 10:44 PM

I just picked this up today and saw it for the first time. I'm not really sure what to think about the movie. Anyway, my Disc 1 has a lot of scratches on it, but it played alright. Would you guys return it if it were you? Odds are that I'd probably get one that was worse.

AnonomusBob15 09-19-04 10:51 PM

Return it.

Mine had fingerprints on disc 2, which I cleaned off. No scratches.

vikings 09-20-04 10:01 AM

So annoying....I also had the problem where the subtitles keep popping on even though they are turned OFF. I too have a Toshiba player from a few years ago. Anyone figure out how to fix this, besides getting a new player?

vikings 09-20-04 10:09 AM

As for the movie itself, I'm a big sci-fi fan so I figured I should watch this "Classic." Not sure how well it held up over time. I liked the new CGI shots to add scope to the film but admittedly some things seemed a bit dated. For example, the holo-TV remote which had a big cord attached to it. Workers and car drivers apparently needing to wear headphones? And I'm not sure why the "conditioning" didn't work on THX. His subsequent escape seemed rather easy, don't you think?

jough 09-20-04 03:48 PM

Originally posted by vikings
His subsequent escape seemed rather easy, don't you think?
Well, sheep could probably figure out how to climb out of their pens, too, if they weren't, well, sheep.

When everyone's sedated and complacent they don't need to worry about escape. I mean, the people in the society aren't *prisoners*, after all.

And the void prison was amazing. What a great idea.

I was just blown away by how well it's held up, actually. I mean, sure, we can snicker at the technology, since we're already WAY more advanced than the people of the 25th century, but who knows what can go wrong in the next 400 years? ;)

FinkPish 09-20-04 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
On the movie itself though...very strange movie. I found myself laughing at some of the background dialogue. It was like TPTB that were running the "city" didn't know what they were doing half the time. Especially in the scene where THX is undergoing those "spasms" in the "white prison".

The ending car chase scene was my favorite scene of the whole movie. Funny thing is that I used to have a couple Matchbox cars of those police cars. What were those things anyway?

Yeah, that is probably the darkest funniest thing Lucas has done. That scene and the mind-lock scene, where everyone is passing the buck for ordering the mind-lock.

The car chase is still great. I liked the new scenes he added with the CGI cars, it definitely makes the scope of the film as large as he obviously wanted it originally. This car crash:
http://img86.exs.cx/img86/2662/THX.gif
still shocks me and makes me laugh at the same time. Another tragic/funny moment, though I don't know if it was supposed to be.