Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One & Only Thread About Star Wars Trilogy Picture Quality (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

One & Only Thread About Star Wars Trilogy Picture Quality (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
How am I bragging?

And what the hell am I bragging about?
If you don't know... then the OTHER 95% of us won't tell you

Old 09-16-04, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well if you have a video settings control on your player, you can change that to a lighter setting. For example, my Pioneer DV-434 has three video settings. Cinematic which makes the video pretty dark. Standard which lightens it up a bit. And Animated which supposedly ups the contrast on the colors a bit.

I always use the cinematic setting, but if I feel that these transfers are a bit too dark, I'll set it to standard.
Old 09-16-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
The old tapes you've watched and the old transfers brought up the brightness of the film. This new transfer has crisper blacks if you ask me. That is how you get good whites. It doesn't have the white wash on it.
I wasn't comparing it to the tapes or anything like that - just to almost EVERY OTHER dvd I have, including episodes 1 & 2, which I thought would have the same motif, but I guess not. At least it clears right up with minimal adjusting.
Old 09-16-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps you should stop comparing it to other movies and you should start comparing it to the other transfers of this exact same film that are out there. then you will notice why it is that way.
Old 09-16-04, 05:59 PM
Banned

I think the "darkness" can be attributed to the restoration process. Instead of seeing the washed out, faded look, which always look light and bright, we're seeing a fully remastered and restored transfer that makes blacks look black and whites look white as opposed to a bunch of "grays".
Old 09-16-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are 6 Star Wars threads on the front page. Couldn't you have fit this into ONE of them?
Old 09-16-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Tarantino
There are 6 Star Wars threads on the front page. Couldn't you have fit this into ONE of them?
Join us and together we can end all these unending threads about Star Wars and have a sub-forum!

Yeah I know, bad take on the Vader speech from Empire.
Old 09-16-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People were saying the Indy DVDs looked too dark, as well --- I suspect it's just that they have finally been corrected.
Old 09-16-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Update your TV. CRTs are still the kings of black level IMO. Try the Sony KD-34XBR960. Plasma panels have only average black level and still can't replicate the deep blacks that tubes can. And LCD have rather below-average black level and low response time.
Old 09-16-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, Episode II is a darker film than Episode I, both in tone and color. So the Episode II DVD also has a darker transfer.
Old 09-16-04, 08:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by slop101
[B]How am I bragging?

And yes, the whites are very nice - but there's plenty of detail that is lost to extra darkness -
----------------------

Damn Racist!!!

Old 09-16-04, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
The old tapes you've watched and the old transfers brought up the brightness of the film. This new transfer has crisper blacks if you ask me. That is how you get good whites. It doesn't have the white wash on it.

as for bragging.. Seems like you are asking a question that 90% of the readers here can't answer simply because you asked it to early. Asking this again on tuesday on release day would bring in a whole lot more folks who could actually answer your question.
More like 99% of the readers here
Old 09-16-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by slop101
How am I bragging?

And yes, the whites are very nice - but there's plenty of detail that is lost to extra darkness - the asteroid chase in ESB is good example of this.
LOL don't worry. On this board, posters will always get accused when they complain about a DVD quality before the street date. I think I was accused of bragging too when I complained that the Last Samurai quality sucked and I just rented that one.
Old 09-17-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
perhaps the discussion of quality should be saved for when the majority of folks can actually view it. Either that or you might aswell complain about quality to a wall. You'll get the same response.
Old 09-17-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Post some screen caps and all this arguing can stop.
Old 09-17-04, 09:16 AM

It does look really dark. I don't want to change my TV settings for this movie.....
Old 09-17-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

These are from the digital bits

the first image is from the laser disc, and the second from the new dvds - they look the same from these screen-shots, but look at the black borders and notice how the image from the dvd had to be brightened (The Bits obviously brightened it themselves) to look the same as the old one.

Old 09-17-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here are a couple more shots:

Here's a shot from the '97 "special editon":

and the same shot from the new dvd:

The next two shots are both from the dvd, but the second one is just brightened up a little more than it's "supposed" to be:

"as-is"

"brightened"

Like I said, it's not that major, but it's still there.
Old 09-17-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember being surprised at how dark the Empire SE was when I went to see it in the theater. At the time, I figured it was just a projector problem.

I've seen brightened DVD stills like the ones above at a couple of sites to make the lightsabers look better.
Old 09-17-04, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
I think the "darkness" can be attributed to the restoration process. Instead of seeing the washed out, faded look, which always look light and bright, we're seeing a fully remastered and restored transfer that makes blacks look black and whites look white as opposed to a bunch of "grays".
This is beginning to sound like a 1960's laundry detergent commercial!
Old 09-17-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I can't speak for the DVDs, but when the THX editions of the movies were released on laserdisc, Lucas had the contrast levels pulled down to disguise the matte lines around ships in the space scenes.
Old 09-17-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Calgon -take my away.
Old 09-17-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
I can't speak for the DVDs, but when the THX editions of the movies were released on laserdisc, Lucas had the contrast levels pulled down to disguise the matte lines around ships in the space scenes.
Oh yeah. That reminds me of the blob near the Emperor's eye. Early DVD reports conflicted. Some said it was gone. Some said it was still there. I guess instead of fixing it with CG, they just made the whole thing really dark & harder to spot...
Old 09-17-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally posted by Lokimok
Oh yeah. That reminds me of the blob near the Emperor's eye. Early DVD reports conflicted. Some said it was gone. Some said it was still there. I guess instead of fixing it with CG, they just made the whole thing really dark & harder to spot...
That blob always bothered me. If I were Lucas, that would've been the 1st thing I'd fix.
Old 09-17-04, 06:36 PM

Actually, the first thing I'd fix is to UNDO the latest 3 Star Wars flix. Man, thank gawd for these original three. Now if we can just find an easter egg that unlocks the 3 movies in their ORIGINAL form, I'll be happy.

Well...maybe not truly happy, but happier.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.