Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Angels in America - Trouble with a capital T!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this movie *yesterday* and attempted to watch it last night. Fifty-two minutes into the movie the scene pixelates! Why oh why did they try to compress a six hour movie onto just two discs?

Anyone else have problems?
Old 09-15-04, 01:19 PM

Ever thought that maybe it's just your disc that is bad? 6 hours on 2 discs seems perfectly fine to me.
Old 09-15-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Honey...

let me tell you, the first thing I did was return that damn DVD this morning. The store was out of stock so I'll be shopping again tonight.

Furthermore, I've been with DVD since the beginning and six hours on two discs is ridiculous! This format has been riddled with pixelation, freezing, and skipping problems since day one. I'm sick of it.
Old 09-15-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Honey...

Originally posted by Duality
let me tell you, the first thing I did was return that damn DVD this morning. The store was out of stock so I'll be shopping again tonight.

Furthermore, I've been with DVD since the beginning and six hours on two discs is ridiculous! This format has been riddled with pixelation, freezing, and skipping problems since day one. I'm sick of it.
not at my house,400 movies and iv never had a problem.ops,make that one problem,my Panny dvdplayer started to have problems after 3 years,purchased a new one and away i went.
Old 09-15-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good for you! Although...

I find your claim difficult to believe. One of my dearest friends has a DENON and even he has had a few "bad" discs.

Regardless, just wait, your day is coming.
Old 09-16-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well...

I found another copy of Angels in America last night. The first disc looks great - no pixelation. I'm watching disc 2 tonight, here's hoping.
Old 09-16-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
now, when this originally aired on hbo, it was aired in 2 3 hour plus segments, so thats how (and is) the dvd is presented.
Old 09-16-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Return of the King was 3 1/3 hours long on one disc and it didn't have any problems with pixelation or skipping. Sounds like you either have a knack for picking the bad discs or your DVD player doesn't love you.
Old 09-16-04, 02:02 PM
Banned

I watched disc 1 last night and it didn't pixalate once. Actually the picture was quite great. The movie isn't very good. I rented this blindly thinking it was a movie. Had no idea it was this. Even though I've watched the first 2hrs I don't plan on finishing it.
Old 09-16-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
now, when this originally aired on hbo, it was aired in 2 3 hour plus segments, so thats how (and is) the dvd is presented.
The play itself is in two parts, written to be performed over 2 nights. Millinium Approaches and Perestroika. One 3-hour show on each disc makes sense.

Splitting it into 2-hour chunks on three discs, while it would make for higher encoding, would also lessen the impact (IMO)...
Old 09-16-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by puddytay
The movie isn't very good. I rented this blindly thinking it was a movie. Had no idea it was this. Even though I've watched the first 2hrs I don't plan on finishing it.
Meanwhile, many critics have said it's the best and most important film version of a play since Streetcar. I do agree it's not for all tastes. I wouldn't even recommend it for most of my friends. But it is a very, very good movie.
Old 09-17-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Disc 2...

looked great! There wasn't any pixelation - whew. BTW, the movie is absolute magic with a message - to say the least. If you are gay or have gay friends or family, it's a must-see!
Old 09-17-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Furthermore, I've been with DVD since the beginning and six hours on two discs is ridiculous!
If the discs are dual-layered, you can comfortably fit 2 hours to a layer without any significant problems, which would equal 4 hours to a disc side. If they had wanted to, they could have fit the whole thing onto one double-sided "flipper" disc.

If you're still using the same DVD player you bought in 1997, it's more likely the player's fault than the disc authoring.