DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Home on the Range.........worth a blind buy?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/385386-home-range-worth-blind-buy.html)

DrMcKittrick 09-14-04 11:39 AM

Home on the Range.........worth a blind buy??

Please explain why?? What other Disney movie would you compare it to if any??

John

PixyJunket 09-14-04 11:44 AM

Yes.

RDYoung 09-14-04 12:13 PM

I'm suprised how much I enjoyed this one. The story was pretty cool, the characters were fairly easy to like, the music was traditional Disney, done by the guy that did Beauty and the Beast and the Little Mermaid(back when disney musicals were good, in my opinion). I enjoyed the animaiton, and par for the course, there were many, many subtle references that were pretty freakin' funny.

The animation was different from many of the other disney movies, so it's hard to compare. It had a cut-out feel to it.

Again, I was pleasantly suprised, seeing as how it really didn't do much in the theater, and just didn't seem interesting to me.

Giles 09-14-04 12:30 PM

well, I didn't care for it that much at all. The movie on the whole felt like Disney animator's just couldn't care less about the final product, the animation drab and uninspired reeked low budget, the character voices seemed like a vanity check for it's stars. A story that was painfully predictable. The film's humour seemed like it was also very forced. The music instantly forgettable. On the positive side The 'revelation' of the film's antagonist was very funny and clever, but that's about it. File this as the final nail in the coffin for current Disney Studio's Animated film division.

Chew 09-14-04 12:35 PM

The recent advertisements aren't exactly selling me on getting it: a bunch of cows burping the entire commercial.

I was thinking about it, but not anymore. :)

DVD Josh 09-14-04 12:53 PM

Reviews and reccommendations forum.

chase3001 09-14-04 12:58 PM

As I recall, the movie was extrememly short. Seemed kinda like disney was trying to crank out this one quick.

I'd wait to rent this one.

Big Worms 09-14-04 01:42 PM

Not bad. I am going to buy it just becuase my son liked it a lot. But I would say maybe to watch it first. Had its moments.

Daytona24 09-14-04 02:44 PM

Bought it a The Disney Store, they were running a promotion where you got a FREE large Home on the Range plush with the purchase of the DVD. I guess its a bonus if your a Disney fan or if you have kids. It was a blind buy for me but I am collecting all the Disney animated movies (excluding sequels).

mdc3000 09-14-04 04:16 PM

I'd say rent it first. I usually love Disney flicks, but found this to be a total waste of time... I don't think I'd even watch it if it was on TV!

MATT

Green Jello 09-15-04 10:20 AM

Disney originally said this was going to be their final traditional animation film. Does anyone know if this is still the plan? I think this was said before they lost the Pixar contract.

JustInsane 09-15-04 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Green Jello
Disney originally said this was going to be their final traditional animation film. Does anyone know if this is still the plan? I think this was said before they lost the Pixar contract.
Disney now only has full CG animated movies on their slate

kar10 09-15-04 10:48 AM

Probably not worth buying specially at $20

Disney hasn't made good movies lately and Home On The Ranch doesn't look that good.

I say rent if you have that montly pass at Blockbuster or a .99 Cent Coupon. :)

Count_Zero 09-15-04 11:06 AM

I was really disappointed with this one. Even my 7 year old neice (who's normally a freak for anything Disney) wasn't impressed. It's short. That's about the best I can say for it. Rent it first.

Kimiakane 09-15-04 12:36 PM

Originally posted by JustInsane
Disney now only has full CG animated movies on their slate
BAMBI II is being hyped as a theatrical release film. Are they really going to turn a sequel of BAMBI into CG???

Green Jello 09-15-04 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Kimiakane
BAMBI II is being hyped as a theatrical release film.
Where are you seeing that?

Kimiakane 09-15-04 01:33 PM

It's in a recent article (from last week's issue) in VIDEO STORE MAGAZINE discussing the new frame-by-frame restoration of the upcoming BAMBI DVD release which stated it would be timed for the "new BAMBI II Theatrical release movie."