DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Know what I want to see on DVD? The 2-hour cut of DAS BOOT! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/385071-know-what-i-want-see-dvd-2-hour-cut-das-boot.html)

CrumpsBrother 09-12-04 03:55 PM

Know what I want to see on DVD? The 2-hour cut of DAS BOOT!

In a way, this thread is really a continuation of another thread, which I started last month trying to drum up support for the theatrical cut (as opposed to the director’s cut) of Sam Peckinpah’s PAT GARRET AND BILLY THE KID:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=378931

But this is another example which has always bugged me.

Yes, I think it’s fantastic!…unbelievable!…truly commendable!…that Sony finally released the complete, uncut 5+ hour version of DAS BOOT on DVD. I’ve long wanted to see this miniseries in its original version and I’ll be buying this new release at some point. So, kudos Sony!

I also know that director Wolfgang Peterson has said that he prefers the previously released 3+ hour version of the film. And, hey, that’s all well and good, and I own that DVD, as well (had to get it for his commentary track).

But what about those of us who prefer the 2 hour theatrical version of DAS BOOT? You know, the version which was the ONLY way to see the film in this country for, oh, 15 OR SO YEARS!

After seeing and loving the 2+ hour version of DAS BOOT for all that time, I eagerly checked out the 3+ hour Director’s Cut when it was first released to theaters, but to my mind, it wasn’t as good as the original theatrical release which I knew and loved. Yes, there are some nice additional character moments in the longer version, but what really struck me, in watching the 3-hour version, was just how fantastic the 2-hour version was! Imagine how well edited the 2-hour version must have been to feel so complete, so powerful, so moving, while not betraying even the barest hint that there might be some 3 hours of additional footage left on the cutting room floor?

And that is why the 2-hour version will always be my favorite. Despite all of the omissions, the original theatrical version felt complete when I first saw it. In fact, it felt perfect. Yet now, due to some bizarre marketing decision, that version of the film -- the one that was the launching point for all of the versions which have followed -- the one that withstood the test of time for 15 years…That version is not available on DVD!

So, tell me, how does that make sense?

gutwrencher 09-12-04 04:35 PM

hope you will one day add that one to the collection. I never saw the 2 hour cut....and now have no desire to see it since I'm used to what I saw instead.:D

mjlukich 09-12-04 04:46 PM

CrumpsBrother: I've only seen the 3+ hour cut myself, but I do sympathize with you. Ideally when a studio releases an "extended cut", "directors cut", or what have you, they would include the shorter theatrical release via seamless branching on the same disc. I've found that even when I prefer the extended cut of a film, it's still nice to have access to the theatrical/shorter version.

marty888 09-12-04 04:47 PM

I was thrilled when the film was finally released the way the director wanted it to be ssen, so I personally have no need to ever see the 2 hour cut again.

(I also never liked those Reader's Digest Condensed books.)

mjlukich 09-12-04 05:09 PM

If a studio can include the original theatrical cut of a film on the same disc as the extended cut via seamless branching, at virtually no additional cost to them (other than a little time for programming on the menu and the branching), then it seems like they should do so. There really is no down side to anyone, regardless of which version they prefer.

Just thought I would bring that up before everyone starts piling on about how the 3+ hour cut is superior to the theatrical release, but I see I'm too late.

jaeufraser 09-12-04 06:12 PM

It should be available. Granted, like Blade Runner most prefer the DC cut, but considering the popularity of the film (and the ire that Star Wars raises) the basic principle should insist upon the original version being in existence too.

For a movie like this too, I would imagine seamless branching would be pretty simple, as extra effects and whatnot were not included.

drjay 09-12-04 06:26 PM

Blade Runner is something I would really love to see an original version of. I actually saw it in an intro to film class a year or two ago (16mm print) and it was pretty interestingly different than the DC.

natevines 09-12-04 06:38 PM

I'm indifferent, but it'll never happened. I don't see Columbia quadruple dipping :)
An ultimate set would be nice, though. 3 cuts, Petersen's commentary and a few new extras plus old ones.
As for me, I like the longest cut the best. This is the kind of movie that, IMHO, is better with length.

marty888 09-12-04 07:55 PM

Can someone clarify - was the 2 hour cut the way it was originally released theatrically in Europe, or was that a cut done for the U.S. release?

eedoon 09-12-04 08:03 PM

I believe the 2 hours cut was made for theatre worldwide. Petersen release The Director's Cut in 1997.

I personally would like to see the 2 hours cut myself, but I think Petersen said that the Director's Cut is his definitive version of Das Boot.

mjlukich 09-12-04 09:10 PM

Wasn't some of the extra footage for the extended versions actually culled from a television series that aired in Europe only? Seems like I read that somewhere but maybe I dreamed it.

NaturalMystic79 09-12-04 10:49 PM

Superbit version is all I'll ever need. Director's Cut of the film with a great transfer, and best of all... that DTS track. :D

EskimoJoe 09-13-04 02:01 AM

To tell you the truth, I think this movie needs to be a bit LONGER. I like having to set a day aside to watch film.

eedoon 09-13-04 03:55 AM

Originally posted by mjlukich
Wasn't some of the extra footage for the extended versions actually culled from a television series that aired in Europe only? Seems like I read that somewhere but maybe I dreamed it.
Petersen want to make both the 5 hour (6 part) mini series and the 2 hour theatrical version of the movie before he finished production. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the 5 hour version is only released in German until recently. The Director's Cut share some material used in the mini series, but I believe Petersen went from scratch when he's cutting the Director's Cut.