DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Are "flippers" on the increase? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/384872-flippers-increase.html)

calhoun07 09-10-04 09:07 PM

Are "flippers" on the increase?

It was slightly disappointing that Dallas was released with flippers, but I didn't expect too much when they put two seasons on five DVDs. But it seems there is an increase in flippers, especially for season sets, and also in movies that contain the full and widescreen editions.

The most disappointing release utilizing this was Martian Chronicles. As if they couldn't get 5 hours of the mini series on two regular discs that were non flippers.

It's gotten to the point where I am starting to pass on some movies/TV shows if they are released in flippers. It's not as if there isn't enough being released to spend money on, and especially for movies, I must as well may wait to see if they re-release it as a collector's edition of some sort that is not a flipper.

natevines 09-10-04 09:09 PM

It's mostly MGM that does this. A real pain the ass.

calhoun07 09-10-04 09:10 PM

Originally posted by natevines
I don't know. WB seems to be doing it with more of their TV sets. Universal isn't exactly so innocent either.

DVD Josh 09-10-04 09:42 PM

I'll never understand folks who pass on great content because of the box or the manner in which that content is on a disc. Sure, I don't like flippers or cardboard, but that doesn't mean I'll pass on great discs like the Fox Studio Classics or Wizard of Oz.

phr33k 09-10-04 10:31 PM

Even if the movie is good and its either flipper or cardboard i'll pass. I cant stand either, noir will i have any of them added to my dvd collection. I just sold all my cardboard and flippers movies on ebay, and although they may be a good movie i just don't like it at all.

marty888 09-10-04 10:39 PM

I don't collect cases; I collect content. Not my preference, but no big deal if it's a snapper case, or if it's a two-sided disc.

A little like throwing away a twenty dollar bill because it's wrinkled, even though it still fulfills its primary purpose.

darkside 09-10-04 11:03 PM

They can package them in paper sleeves for all I care. Just give me good transfers and extras and a decent price.

BTW a flipper is a single movie split on two sides of a disc. Just being a double sided disc does not mean its a flipper. Nothing wrong with a double sided disc as long as you take care of it.

jaeufraser 09-10-04 11:24 PM

Yeah, I've got no problem with a double sided disc. It's not harder for me to flip something over as opposed to just switching the disc.

Now, if it's a flipper when the film could've easily fit on one side (they don't really make those anymore) then I hate it.

Get Me Coffee 09-11-04 03:50 AM

Fuck those flippers! ;)

http://www.palmsales.ca/dubai/images/flippers.jpg

pOpus 09-11-04 05:18 AM

Other than the fact that I am incapable of getting the correct side of the 2-sided disk in the DVD player on the first try, I don't mind them.

calhoun07 09-11-04 06:57 AM

Originally posted by DVD Josh
I'll never understand folks who pass on great content because of the box or the manner in which that content is on a disc. Sure, I don't like flippers or cardboard, but that doesn't mean I'll pass on great discs like the Fox Studio Classics or Wizard of Oz.
Well, for me it's because my pocket is not bottomless. I may be teetering on the edge between two DVD releases and have to decide which ones I can do without. Well, flippers is just another way of eliminating the weak kids from the ball game, in my opinion. And if it's a movie, I am not sweating it too much, because I know there will be a special edition collector's edition later on, or more than likely there will be one, and if there isn't, well, the 20.00 flipper DVD I passed on before might be 5.88 at Wal Mart one day, making it easier to justify the purchase.

Bottom line is if you are paying a premium price, you expect a premium product, no matter what it is, and there is a lot of competition in the DVD world. If I continually buy substandard DVDs at a higher price, I am voting with my pocket book that I am OK with a substandard product for a premium price.

calhoun07 09-11-04 07:03 AM

Originally posted by jaeufraser

Now, if it's a flipper when the film could've easily fit on one side (they don't really make those anymore) then I hate it.

And that's what I am talking about here with Martian Chronicles. Dallas I was half expecting it, but I would have rather had it spread out over more discs and fit on all one side each even if it meant it brought the price of the set up another ten or fifteen dollars.

And with most movies, these days it's to accomodate the full frame morons, and that's reason enough to be ticked about it, which is why I would rather wait for a special edition with just the widescreen and no flipper.

candyrocket786 09-11-04 07:33 AM

Originally posted by natevines
That's why I by most of them from Korea.

MGM Flippers like Thelma & Louise, Fiddler on the Roof, and Terminator are released as 2-Disc sets.

I even bought Schindler's List from Korea, because it wasn't a flipper.

I believe The Butterfly Effect was also released as a 2-disc set in Hong Kong.

speedyray 09-11-04 08:31 AM

Since I usually take a trip to grab a beer or take a piss after the movie, if the special features are on the other side that is fine. Also, with TV on DVD, I usually watch it when I do not have time for a movie, so it is no big deal. Flipping the middle of movies I do not like.

Jergen 09-11-04 09:45 AM

I don't like flippers, unless the movie has a legitimate intermission. But even then having two discs is the preferred option. Double-sided discs seem okay to me if they want to put special features or a pan and scan version on the other side.

asianxcore 09-11-04 09:52 AM

Though I don't like 2 sided discs, it won't stop me from buying a movie I really like.

Schindler's List, though I thought would've been better as a 2 disc. Movie on 1 disc, extras on the other.

Walter Neff 09-11-04 02:52 PM

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I have fond memories of it. I've got nothing against it.

JoeyOhhhh 09-11-04 03:07 PM

I'm not a fan of double sided discs, especially when they are used for movies. But for TV series I think it is necessary. With the amount of shows coming to DVD, shelf space is limited (in stores), a multidisc set of a tv show isn't exactly space saving.

SWR 1 09-11-04 05:13 PM

I hate flippers not because of the aesthetics, but because it is near impossible handling a flipper disc with out get fingerprints on one of the sides. I must say that my dvds that are flippers are in much worse condition than the dvds that are individual one sided discs. I take special care of all of my dvds including wearing lint free cotton gloves so I don't get fingerprints all over my discs but the flippers are prone to scratches and fingerprints.

eXcentris 09-11-04 05:26 PM

Originally posted by SWR 1
I take special care of all of my dvds including wearing lint free cotton gloves so I don't get fingerprints all over my discs but the flippers are prone to scratches and fingerprints.
Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

emhello 09-11-04 06:44 PM

Originally posted by SWR 1
I take special care of all of my dvds including wearing lint free cotton gloves so I don't get fingerprints all over my discs but the flippers are prone to scratches and fingerprints.
I do the same thing!

avrilfan 09-11-04 06:44 PM

this may or not apply to the tv movie of stephen kings it's and the stand. isnt the stand on dvd a flipper or is it on one side. i know "It" is not,it contains the first half on one,and the second half on the other. ethier way,it is still a flipper. I still dont like to flip the disc over each time i watch the film. couldn't they release this movie on a dual layered disc thereby no need for side flipping!!!!!

Eric F 09-11-04 06:52 PM

They have meds for that now.:D

ADV used flippers for S2 of Andromeda, which sort of pissed me off considering S1 wasn't, and I purchased a DVD changer inbetween.

Me? I see if I can get my DVDs in the player from across the room...

Leechboy 09-11-04 11:54 PM

Originally posted by avrilfan
this may or not apply to the tv movie of stephen kings it's and the stand. isnt the stand on dvd a flipper or is it on one side. i know "It" is not,it contains the first half on one,and the second half on the other. ethier way,it is still a flipper. I still dont like to flip the disc over each time i watch the film. couldn't they release this movie on a dual layered disc thereby no need for side flipping!!!!!
I think The Stand was rereleased as a 2 disc set.

darkside 09-12-04 01:18 AM

There is no way to get something as long as The Stand on a single side of a dual layered disc without compressing it to the point it looks like crap.

We just have to face the fact that when we watch a long movie we actually might have to get off our asses once during the film and flip a disc over. Its a hardship I know.

You would have loved CAV laserdiscs.