DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Are "flippers" on the increase? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/384872-flippers-increase.html)

aam1 09-14-04 06:59 AM

Originally posted by acostigan
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance is an interesting disc. Same video content; however, one side is LPCM and the other side DD 5.1. I haven't figured out why they did that.
Anyone know of others that are 2-sided just for different audio tracks?

-AC

Some music discs have NTSC on one side and PAL on the other but have the same content. For the tiny minority who can't watch NTSC in colour.

Originally posted by calhoun07

My least favorite movie flippers, the ones with the widescreen on one side and the fool frame on the other side, and all the bonus features on the fool frame side.

I'd rather the extras took the space away from the side I'm NOT watching.

It's never OK to fit in a full frame version. Full frame versions of movies should not exist, and should be on the way out with VHS.
So where would you put the extras now?

matome 09-14-04 07:59 AM

Originally posted by aam1

I'd rather the extras took the space away from the side I'm NOT watching.

:thumbsup:

majorjoe23 09-14-04 11:47 AM

Well, there have been a few flipper babies.

IT WAS JUST A COUPLE OF FLIPPER BABIES!

Alan Smithee 09-14-04 03:52 PM

It's NEVER OK to use 2 single-sided discs. So sayeth me.

jpdude 09-15-04 06:38 PM

the main thing i hate is having to flip a dvd over somewhere in the middle of a movie just to watch the 2nd half...like with my "The Pelican Brief" DVD....i hate that! It's even more annoying when i know that they could have fit the whole movie on one side of the disc.

jpdude 09-15-04 06:40 PM

It's never OK to fit in a full frame version. Full frame versions of movies should not exist, and should be on the way out with VHS.
i agree 200%

Alan Smithee 09-17-04 03:10 AM

Supposedly 2 single-layer sides can fit a tiny bit more info than one dual-layer side, so that's why some discs still have the extras on another side even if both sides are single-layer.
The Fleetwood Mac disc came out before dual-layer discs were widespread, so they couldn't have fit both the uncompressed PCM and the Dolby 5.1 soundtracks together. I think the first Three Tenors DVD did that too. There's several music titles that have PCM and Dolby 5.1 soundtracks now that have them running together on a dual-layer disc. That's also why longer movies were split onto 2 sides in the beginning, since they hadn't yet perfected dual-layer. Schindler's List is still split on 2 sides but it's dual-layer on both sides, meaning they couldn't fit it on one dual-layer side with the optimum bitrate (still a bit annoying, but I like that better than 2 discs.)

bigE 09-17-04 09:37 AM

<b>fubonics</b> Great post! That's some funny stuff man. ROTFL Yeah, you fit right in here. Welcome to the forum!

Spiky 09-18-04 01:18 AM

Y'all are going to be real unhappy when the Dual Discs start coming out.

D-Ball 09-18-04 01:21 AM

Originally posted by Alan Smithee
As for changers, they do make ones that can automatically flip discs. I would not buy a changer that couldn't.
Which players have this feature? When shopping for my current changer, I wasn't able to find any that were able to play both sides of the disc without manually flipping it.

Goldblum 09-18-04 12:10 PM

"The Stand is a flipper release," 2 episodes on each side.

I don't mind flippers in situations like the above, however the 1 disc flipper they did for King's "Storm of the Century" was completely stupid. The miniseries was 3 episodes. Did they put 2 episodes on one side, and the remaining episode on the other? No...that would be too easy. They put 1.5 episodes on each side. Yes, that means that the show cuts off abruptly (and mid-dialgoue, mind you). Grr...

Alan Smithee 09-18-04 02:21 PM

I know Sony and Kenwood had at least one changer each that can autoflip, don't know if they're still being made though.

Spiky 09-19-04 12:17 AM

Sony STOPPED making changers that flip. More evidence of their greatness. I think it was the 875 that flipped and the current 985 does not. I may be slightly off in my model numbers. I'm not sure if the other current Sony does this, I don't think so. That is the 777ES.

Nobody else even has a megachanger that is currently being produced. You may still be able to find new ones sitting on shelves, but nothing is current except for the 2 Sonys.