The High and the Mighty, McLintock!, Island in the Sky, and more

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-08-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Press release from Paramount:

IN A MAJOR INDUSTRY ANNOUNCEMENT
PARAMOUNT AND JOHN WAYNE’S BATJAC PRODUCTIONS SIGN WORLDWIDE DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENT

-- Rare Wayne Classics to Make Way to DVD and TV
Beginning May 2005 --

HOLLYWOOD, September 8, 2004 -- Paramount Home Entertainment and Paramount’s television distribution entities have entered into an agreement with Batjac Productions, the production company founded by John Wayne, for worldwide DVD and television distribution. The agreement was announced today by Thomas Lesinski, President, Paramount Pictures, Worldwide Home Entertainment, Joel Berman, President, Paramount Worldwide Television Distribution and Gretchen Wayne, president of Batjac and wife of the actor’s late son, Michael, who owned the company for over 30 years.

Beginning in Spring 2005, Paramount will distribute a number of beloved but rarely seen John Wayne vehicles from the 1950s and 1960s, including a newly restored The High and the Mighty (1954) and Island in the Sky (1953), neither of which has previously been released on VHS or DVD. The restoration of The High and the Mighty, by Gretchen Wayne, will see the film returned to its glorious original 35mm film and presented in Stereo 5.1. Other Wayne classics making their DVD debut under the distribution pact include Hondo (1953) and “McLintock!” (1962), neither of which has been released on DVD domestically or home video internationally by Batjac. These classic films will include bonus features from Batjac’s extensive library of never-before-seen film memorabilia once they debut on DVD, including commentaries with the filmmakers and cast and featurettes on the making of the films, their subjects and their eras, incorporating new interviews and archival materials.

Paramount will also release five films for basic cable, international markets and DVD that were produced by Batjac in which John Wayne did not appear: Man in the Vault (1956), Plunder of the Sun (1953), Ring of Fear (1954), Seven Men from Now (1956) and Track of the Cat (1954).

The deal consolidates much of the home entertainment distribution of John Wayne films under one roof. Paramount’s now owns 63 Wayne titles, such as True Grit, El Dorado, Big Jake, The Shootist, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Donovan's Reef, Hatari! and The Sons of Katie Elder, among others. Broad integrated marketing initiatives are planned across both home entertainment and television divisions in support of the Batjac titles throughout 2005 and 2006.

“Paramount has enjoyed a wonderful relationship with John Wayne and his family for more than half a century,” said Lesinski. “With the addition of these timeless treasures to our existing John Wayne library, Paramount has truly become the home of John Wayne’s films.”

Gretchen Wayne added: “In recent years there has been growing demand by fans of my late father-in-law to see these films released on DVD and on television. We are excited to have found the perfect partner to accomplish this in Paramount.”

“We are delighted to welcome these John Wayne classics into our television library,” said Joel Berman, President, Paramount Worldwide Television Distribution. “As an American icon with a timeless appeal, John Wayne speaks to a whole new generation of movie lovers.”

Among the films to be released under the agreement are:

The High and the Mighty (1954) ? Wayne stars as a washed-up pilot who must guide a damaged airliner to safety in this forerunner to modern disaster movies. Co-starring Claire Trevor and Robert Stack, it was nominated for six Oscars® including Best Director (William A. Wellman).

Island in the Sky (1953) ? Wayne is the pilot of a transport plane that crashes in the remote reaches of sub-Arctic Canada. As he struggles to keep his stranded crew alive in the deadly conditions, a rescue team desperately searches for them in the vast snow-covered wilderness.

Hondo (1953) ? Geraldine Page (nominated for an Oscar for her role) and Ward Bond join Wayne in this adaptation of a Louis L'Amour story about a half-breed Cavalry dispatch rider who protects a woman and her son living amidst warning Apaches.

“McLintock!” (1963) ? Wayne stars as cattle rancher George Washington McLintock who spars with his wife (Maureen O'Hara), their daughter (Stefanie Powers) and greedy land-grabbers in this hilarious western comedy.

Man in the Vault (1956) ? In this taut thriller, William Campbell stars as a locksmith forced to crack a bank safe deposit box in order to save his girlfriend (Karen Sharpe) from a ruthless mobster played by Berry Kroeger. Anita Ekberg also stars.

Plunder of the Sun (1953) ? Glenn Ford is an American claims adjuster caught up in a deadly hunt for Zapotecan treasure in this mystery set in Mexico. .

Ring of Fear (1954) ? Circus impresario and famed animal trainer Clyde Beatty plays himself in this whodunit about a series of suspicious accidents under the Big Top. Detective novelist Mickey Spillane, also as himself, arrives on the scene to solve the crime.

Seven Men from Now (1956) ? Randolph Scott is a former sheriff who tracks seven men through the desert in an effort to avenge his wife's murder.

Track of the Cat (1954). ? Tough guy Robert Mitchum stalks a panther that killed his younger brother (William Hopper) while his snowbound family begins to disintegrate. Directed by four-time Oscar nominee William A. Wellman (The Ox-Bow Incident, The High and The Mighty).

Visit www.paramount.com/homeentertainment to learn more about Paramount Home Entertainment’s new releases, as well as other classic Hollywood films, television programs, animated titles and family and special interest programming. Paramount Home Entertainment is part of the operations of Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc.

Last edited by obscurelabel; 09-08-04 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-08-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great News about the High and the Mighty.
Many people myself included have never seen this but have heard a great deal about it. I believe it was what was being parodied in the Airplane movie.
Old 09-08-04, 07:05 PM

This announcement is timed perfectly. The USPS' John Wayne stamp is set to be released tomorrow (09/09/2004). (Read about it here.) Not that I implying there's anything wrong with such synergy. I'm completely in favor of bringing as many classics to DVD as possible. I just hope they won't all need a stamp for it happen.
Old 09-08-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally, it looks like a quality release of McLintock! is coming to DVD. I only wish we didn't have to wait a year to see it!
Old 09-08-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally, it looks like a quality release of McLintock! is coming to DVD. I only wish we didn't have to wait a year to see it!
Don't be too sure yet. I've heard that Batjac doesn't own the rights to the wide-screen version, and only has control of the full-framed VHS version they released in the 90s (which is still heads and shoulders above any other version of McLintock on DVD presently).
Old 09-08-04, 09:51 PM

I am estatic to read about this!! McLintock is one of my favorite Wayne movies. I will be happy to retire my current dvd of this movie!! Thanks for the update!! Take Care!!
Old 09-08-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Classic Films
Great News about the High and the Mighty.
Many people myself included have never seen this but have heard a great deal about it. I believe it was what was being parodied in the Airplane movie.
Perhaps "The High and the Mighty" too, but "Airplane" was even more a parody of "Zero Hour! (1957)".

Good news on the Wayne films. I'm also looking forward to "Seven Men from Now", "Plunder of the Sun", and "Track of the Cat"; I'm a fan of Randolph Scott, Glenn Ford, and Robert Mitchum.

Thanks DVDTalker obscurelabel for posting the news.
Old 09-08-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ever since the beginning of home video, THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY has been one of the most requested unavailable titles, so this is the end of a 20 year wait!

The other title that I'm looking forward to is Track Of The Cat with an unusual production design that removes almost all color from sets, costumes, etc. - yes, it's a color film.
Old 09-09-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Falc04
I've heard that Batjac doesn't own the rights to the wide-screen version, and only has control of the full-framed VHS version they released in the 90s (which is still heads and shoulders above any other version of McLintock on DVD presently).
Hmmm, I don't think so. I have the Wayne estate authorized version on VHS and, while it has been quite sometime since I watched it last, I'm pretty certain it's widescreen.

However, I agree that the version currently on DVD is abysmal and looks like it was assembled from a variety of image souces from 8mm to multiple dupes of VHS.

I'll be glad to finally be able to buy a decent DVD version of McLintock and the other Wayne films. I do have concerns, since this is Paramount and their previous Wayne DVDs are nothing to brag about, but I'm hopeful the Wayne estate's involvement will see at least some of the Duke's films finally getting the type of DVD releases they deserve.

But what the heck. I'm a big Wayne fan, so really, I'm happy just to have a decent transfer and sound.
Old 09-09-04, 02:01 PM

This is the best news (DVD wise) I've heard all year!!!

Thanks for the post....
Old 09-09-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

obscurelabel (the originator of this thread) has done a number of excellent posts explaining Batjac's (self-created) copyright problems with McLintock!

Below is a link to the thread where he explains the issues and even links to a case study of Batjac's unsuccessful suit against Goodtimes.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...t=mclintock%2A

Basically, Batjac controls the original elements (if not all the copyrights) to McLintock!; hopefully, Paramount does the right thing and releases the film in OAR.

Last edited by RevKarl; 09-09-04 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-10-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry to double post a pic, but I thought this thread had a wealth of info and deserved a bump. I first put this in woo hoo! more john wayne dvd's. again thanks to davisdvd for the cover art.

Last edited by Cameron; 05-10-05 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-10-05, 12:48 AM

Wow...this is absolutely fantastic news. Thanks for the cover art!
Old 05-10-05, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I'm pleased Paramount is doing this release, I'll be much happier...dare I say, perhaps even giddy...when/if they offer similar quality DVD releases of The Quiet Man and McLintock!.
Old 05-10-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RevKarl
While I'm pleased Paramount is doing this release, I'll be much happier...dare I say, perhaps even giddy...when/if they offer similar quality DVD releases of The Quiet Man and McLintock!.
I agree! However the current Artisan DVD of the Quiet Man has some nice extras. I will probably keep my current DVD unless the extras are transferred over to the eventual Paramount release.
Old 05-13-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

from the bits

Titles announce by Paramount for 8/2 include those two John Wayne releases... Island in the Sky: Special Collector's Edition and The High and the Mighty: Special Collector's Edition.

So Island in the sky is back on target now...
Old 05-15-05, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
from the bits

Titles announce by Paramount for 8/2 include those two John Wayne releases... Island in the Sky: Special Collector's Edition and The High and the Mighty: Special Collector's Edition.

So Island in the sky is back on target now...
I was hoping that Hondo and McLintock would be included in the release schedule as well. Oh well, this is still a John Wayne fan's dream come true!
Old 05-15-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Falc04
I was hoping that Hondo and McLintock would be included in the release schedule as well. Oh well, this is still a John Wayne fan's dream come true!
me too. I also wish they would box up the new films...and still hoing McLintock will be OAR
Old 05-15-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad to see McClintock! is finally getting a good release, this is one of my dad's favorite old movies and i can feel good about getting this movie for him.
Old 05-27-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

davis dvd shows these 3 items on theirs site for a 08.02.05 release

• John Wayne Collection 1

• John Wayne Collection 2

• John Wayne Gift Set

I know this will include the movies coming out that day. Wonder what else is coming in the other sets. I wish warner would box up some of their already released Wayne films at a lower price and in keep cases...flying leathernecks...and all.
Old 05-28-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
davis dvd shows these 3 items on theirs site for a 08.02.05 release

• John Wayne Collection 1

• John Wayne Collection 2

• John Wayne Gift Set

I know this will include the movies coming out that day. Wonder what else is coming in the other sets. I wish warner would box up some of their already released Wayne films at a lower price and in keep cases...flying leathernecks...and all.
Warner did a FANTASTIC job on the release of 'Flying Leathernecks'. If you haven't seen it yet, you are really missing out a prestine print! It is right up there with the job they did on 'She Wore A Yellow Ribbon'.

Thanks for the update from Davis DVD...sure hope that gift set includes 'McLintock' and 'Hondo'.
Old 05-28-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-28-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I'm happy for the fans of these movies, McClintock! and The Quiet Man need the quality releases they deserve at this point. I was happy as can be to pick up McQ and The Train Robbers this month, but a clean OAR McClintock! is the gem I'm waiting on from the JW canon.
Old 05-28-05, 09:31 PM

Hondo has never been released on dvd, and is pretty rare on VHS (out of print for a long time). I'd pick up a widescreen version of that upon release. Hope it comes soon.
Old 05-29-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm very glad that The High and the Mighty is coming to home DVD release.

Question though: does anyone know what was the reason why the movie was shelved by the Wayne estate all these years? I remember the reason was a complicated one involving one of his (now-deceased) sons.

Last edited by RayChuang; 05-29-05 at 12:27 AM. Reason: correct grammar

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.