Old 08-05-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it was also 3-d
Old 08-05-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cameron,

thanks for posting the artwork!! i can't wait!!
Old 08-14-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a list of the bonus features for McLintock! and Hondo - looks good!

McLintock!:

Available subtitles: English
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)
Commentaries by Leonard Maltin, Frank Thompson, Maureen O'Hara, Stefanie Powers, Michael Pate, Michael Wayne and Andrew McLaglen

Special Introduction by Leonard Maltin

The Batjac Story: The Legacy of Michael Wayne

Maureen O'Hara and Stefanie Powers Remember McLintock!

A Good Ol' Fashion Fight

2 Minute Flight School

Wrap Up with Leonard Maltin

Corsets: Don't Leave Home Without It

Original Theatrical Trailer

Batjac Teaser

Hondo:

Available subtitles: English Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono) Commentary by Leonard Maltin, Frank Thompson (western historian) and Lee Aaker
A Special Introduction by Leonard Maltin

The Making of Hondo

Profile: James Edward Grant

The Apache

The John Wayne Stock Company: Ward Bond

From the Batjac Vaults

Batjac Teaser

Photo Gallery
Old 08-15-05, 05:04 AM

Looks great...thanks for listing the special features.
Old 08-15-05, 08:33 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Those discs look great.

On a side note, the original post noted the following:

Paramount will also release five films for basic cable, international markets and DVD that were produced by Batjac in which John Wayne did not appear: Man in the Vault (1956), Plunder of the Sun (1953), Ring of Fear (1954), Seven Men from Now (1956) and Track of the Cat (1954).
Have there been any updates as to when any of these will be released (specifically Plunder of the Sun)?
Old 08-15-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks dr gonzo...thats good stuff

for geofferson, i have seen no more mention of these titles.
Old 08-15-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
On a side note, the original post noted the following:
Have there been any updates as to when any of these will be released (specifically Plunder of the Sun)?
Plus, I wonder how Paramount is doing with the restoration of 'The Quiet Man'? Last I heard, they had the image restored, but the audio still needed a little work.
Old 08-27-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

from dvd times

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of “Mclintock!” – Authentic Collector’s Edition for 11th October 2005 priced at $14.99 SRP. John Wayne shows off his funny side in this 1963 western, a comedy inspired by The Taming Of The Shrew. Starring as wealthy cattle baron G.W. McLintock, Wayne shows a real sense of comic timing in several scenes filled with slapstick humor. After his wife (Maureen O'Hara) and daughter leave him for the East, McLintock attempts to win them back.

“Mclintock!” – Authentic Collector’s Edition is newly restored and remastered with Lowry Digital Imaging along with exclusive special features...
Widescreen Version Enhanced for 16:9 TVs
Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround and Mono
English subtitles
Commentaries by Leonard Maltin, Frank Thompson, Maureen O'Hara, Stefanie Powers, Michael Pate, Michael Wayne and Andrew McLaglen
Special Introduction by Leonard Maltin
The Batjac Story: The Legacy of Michael Wayne
Maureen O'Hara and Stefanie Powers Remember “McLintock!”
A Good Ol' Fashioned Fight
The Corsets: Don't Leave Home Without One!
2-Minute Fight School
Photo Gallery
Batjac Teaser

Some Revised artwork

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Hondo - Special Collector’s Edition for 11th October 2005 priced at $14.99 SRP. Based on the Louis L'Amour story "The Gift of Cochise," this sparkling western has John Wayne as a half-Indian Cavalry scout who, with his feral dog companion, finds a young woman and her son living on a isolated ranch in unfriendly Apache country. A poetic and exciting script, outstanding performances, and breathtaking scenery make this an indisputable classic.

New to DVD features on this special edition include:
Full screen format
Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround and Mono
English subtitles
Commentary by Leonard Maltin, Western Historian Frank Thompson and Actor Lee Aake
A Special Introduction by Leonard Maltin
The Making of Hondo
Profile: James Edward Grant
The Apache
The John Wayne Stock Company: Ward Bond
From the Batjac Vaults
Batjac Teaser
Photo Gallery

Old 08-27-05, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll definitely pick up Hondo. I really like how Paramount is doing this, in addition to re-issuing their old titles with new covers (obviously it's just a cosmetic difference, but it still gave me an impetus to pick up titles I didn't have, because these covers are great)
Old 08-27-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
I finally watched Island in the Sky and The High and the Mighty, and I've gotta say - Island in the Sky ROCKS! It is a great movie. The High and the Mighty is good, but much more dated - it is something of a time capsule showing how different the commercial aviation industry was back in the early 50's, and also how different people's attitudes were back then.

Island in the Sky comes across as a timeless movie by comparison.

I'm really looking forward to picking up Hondo and McLintock!
Old 08-27-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Falc04
Plus, I wonder how Paramount is doing with the restoration of 'The Quiet Man'? Last I heard, they had the image restored, but the audio still needed a little work.
According to noted film preservationist Robert Harris, no work needs to be done on that title:

"The Quiet Man was properly restored by Robert Gitt of The UCLA Film & Television Archive several years ago..."

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...05#post2646205
Old 08-27-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i just hope the Quiet man commentary carries over from the artisan disc
Old 08-27-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RevKarl
According to noted film preservationist Robert Harris, no work needs to be done on that title:

"The Quiet Man was properly restored by Robert Gitt of The UCLA Film & Television Archive several years ago..."

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...05#post2646205
All that The Quiet Man needs is a transfer to match it's restoration. I prefer watching my laserdisc. The image is much softer and doesn't have the detail of the DVD, but at least the color intensity doesn't flicker up and down like technicolor on LSD.

And, no, my player and TV are just fine. The Quiet Man is the only dvd I have that exhibits this color flicker effect.
Old 09-24-05, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

savant had this on his page

On a western theme, Paramount is bringing out a pile more Batjac movies, the ones partially produced by John Wayne in the 1950s. Two titles grab Savant's attention immediately. Track of Cat is a bizarre artsy William Wellman movie with Robert Mitchum, filmed in color but designed to look like B&W. Seven Men from Now is the first of the Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott minimalist westerns, with an excellent villain - a young Lee Marvin.
Old 09-25-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

also it looks like suncoast is giving out reprints of the theatrical posters on release week. I have got no clarification on the actual size of the posters though. They should be ten bucks each on release week
Old 09-25-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I'll be picking up Hondo also on the 11th, too bad it's not widescreen, but i'll just have to accept that. but i'm still looking forward to getting this title.
Old 09-25-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I just saw it last week and the DVD Savant was dead-on in his review of The High and the Mighty. Although I'm a big fan of John Wayne as well as a big fan of older movies, this movie is simply not good. It's badly written, over-melodramatic, and overlong - and it has aged very poorly to boot. (I mean it's a given that all films get dated as the years go by, but the best movies it doesn't really hurt, while the lesser movies look even worse for wear.)

I particularly like when Savant said about this 147-minute movie:
"Savant would love to recut a short version of the film that eliminates the ineffective flashbacks and short-circuits the gushy monologues. It would probably be forty minutes long!"
This movie was a major disappointment.
Old 09-25-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JOE29
I'll be picking up Hondo also on the 11th, too bad it's not widescreen, but i'll just have to accept that. but i'm still looking forward to getting this title.
but your getting it in OAR...whats the problem....

you can be upset that you can't see it in 3-d
Old 10-09-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

review is up

Stuart Galbraith IV review for McLintock! (Special Collector's Edition)
Old 10-09-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DDD sent me e-mail that McLintock! has already been shipped my way. Anxious to see how much better it looks compared to what we've been looking at all these years!
Old 10-09-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Hondo DVD was at my local BJ's yesterday, only 8.99. Should've picked it up! I will soon, though.
Old 10-15-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dvd savant review of hondo

I guess this should just about kill this thread. WOnder what titles are in store for next year...but that will probably need its own thread. we need a big duke thread....just like the big bogie thread. Wayne titles on dvd...someone make a list, and i'll try to dig up pics and reviews...
Old 10-16-05, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
dvd savant review of hondo

I guess this should just about kill this thread. WOnder what titles are in store for next year...but that will probably need its own thread. we need a big duke thread....just like the big bogie thread. Wayne titles on dvd...someone make a list, and i'll try to dig up pics and reviews...
I'm thinking Paramount will be releasing "The Quiet Man" next....it certainly can use the spit-and-polish treatment.
Old 10-16-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

no doubt. I just hope they don't dump the commentary on the Artisan disc. Probably will, and then you'll need two copies

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.