DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Star Wars Episode 1 Re-release? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/384335-star-wars-episode-1-re-release.html)

QuiGonJosh 09-08-04 06:20 AM

Star Wars Episode 1 Re-release?

I've been hearing that Episode 1 will be re-released when the Trilogy comes out and a change will be on it where they replace the puppet Yoda with CG...which I would greatly appreciate...I just wondering if anyone has any confirmation or ways to tell the new from the old?

Get Me Coffee 09-08-04 08:46 AM

Maybe TheForce.net can help you young Jedi Knight.

icruise 09-08-04 09:21 AM

If I could change any one thing about Episode 1, that would not be it. (My main problem is the voice acting for many of the aliens -- just atrocious).

Mike Lowrey 09-08-04 09:49 AM

Well, the whole disc definately needs a new transfer. The desert scenes with the Naboo Royal Cruiser (as well as the Qui-Gon/Darth Maul fight) have atrocious compression artifacts.

As far as knowing the difference between the old and new, I'd say the new cover will replace the top gold banner that says, "Every saga has a beginning" to "Widescreen Edition"

QuiGonJosh 09-08-04 10:32 AM

good call...thanks

DVD Josh 09-08-04 10:34 AM

Originally posted by icruise
If I could change any one thing about Episode 1, that would not be it. (My main problem is the voice acting for many of the aliens -- just atrocious).
A guy at my grad school had a DVD copy where Jar Jar had been edited out (as much as possible, there are some scenes where he had to be there) and some of the deleted scenes put back in (like the longer Pod race). It was a MUCH MUCH better movie.

Fok 09-08-04 10:40 AM

If they are released, I'll be picking them up.

costanza 09-08-04 11:13 AM

rerelease a star wars movie with a slight difference than the product that is on the market so i would have to buy it and see it for myself? no way, that would never happen.

Masamune 09-08-04 11:26 AM

If they do this, then I will definatly grab it. Doubt they will tho. Seriously doubt they will.

nodeerforamonth 09-08-04 11:32 AM

They need to remove Jar Jar. Completely. I'd almost rather have an Ewok in there. Almost.

Fok 09-08-04 12:09 PM

Maybe they'll release a boxed set of ep 1 - 3 with new changes and stuff.

Mike Lowrey 09-08-04 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Fok
No Jar-Jar, no sale. :lol:

QuiGonJosh 09-08-04 12:22 PM

No this is pretty much confirmed...a guy at www.millenniumfalcon.com who posted screenshots from the dvd's and listed changes said that they were CG'ing Yoda in TPM...

darmok 09-08-04 01:16 PM

sh*t, why does Luca$ have to re-edit something as recent as Ep. 1? he can't stand to leave something alone.

he may as well go back and edit down Vader from Eps. 4-6, since Prowse was much bulkier than Hayden version seen in Ep. 3.

Get Me Coffee 09-08-04 01:36 PM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
No this is pretty much confirmed...a guy at www.millenniumfalcon.com who posted screenshots from the dvd's and listed changes said that they were CG'ing Yoda in TPM...
CONFIRMED!?!?!?! WHAT!?!!? Did I miss something....where was it confirmed? Just because a fanboy website has it listed doesn't mean it's confirmed.

DVD Josh 09-08-04 01:45 PM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
confirmed by a guy on an internet fanboard :rolleyes:

Artman 09-08-04 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Fok
That would be my guess.

Doughboy 09-08-04 02:04 PM

Originally posted by darmok
[B]sh*t, why does Luca$ have to re-edit something as recent as Ep. 1? he can't stand to leave something alone.
Technically, he's already altered TPM and Episode II for their DVD releases. Although I agree, the idea of him tweaking TPM with new CGI when the movie is only 5 years old is a scary thought. It shows that he'll never truly be satisfied with the FX work in any of these films. We could be seeing updated versions every few years til the day he dies at the rate we're going.

jaeufraser 09-08-04 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Doughboy
Technically, he's already altered TPM and Episode II for their DVD releases. Although I agree, the idea of him tweaking TPM with new CGI when the movie is only 5 years old is a scary thought. It shows that he'll never truly be satisfied with the FX work in any of these films. We could be seeing updated versions every few years til the day he dies at the rate we're going.
Well, in truth I never thought the Yoda puppet in Episode I looked that good, with the CG Yoda in Ep. II being a vast improvement, not to mention looking much more like the original Yoda.

Though in truth, the tinkering is still unecessary. Truth be told, I can hardly stand to watch Ep. I anyway with that damn annoying brat of a kid.

Regurgitator 09-08-04 02:26 PM

Ok.. this is getting really ridiculous.

With so many changes to these Star Wars movies why don't you, LUCA$, just make the whole thing CG.

Replace everyone with CG.. Replace the background with CG.. Replace the music score with CG music.. do it all and you can then compete against such hits as Finding Nemo and Shrek!

jarofclay73 09-08-04 02:33 PM

Well, I'm glad I got the ORIGINAL SUPERIOR version of TPM - the way it was MEANT to be seen before it's replaced by the SE. Now, Luc@$ can't rape my adulthood. -wink-

QuiGonJosh 09-08-04 03:06 PM

would you all stop bitching? jeez...like a friggin kindergarten class...

bboisvert 09-08-04 03:09 PM

Originally posted by jarofclay73
Well, I'm glad I got the ORIGINAL SUPERIOR version of TPM - the way it was MEANT to be seen before it's replaced by the SE. Now, Luc@$ can't rape my adulthood. -wink-
I realize that you're being a wiseguy here... but, as mentioned, TPM was already altered for DVD (including added footage for the podrace and a scene where they take a 'taxi' in Coruscant).

You don't have the ORIGINAL theatrical version unless you have the VHS or LaserDisc version.

It was even worse for Episode II, where the film was altered between the standard and digital prints in the theater... and then messed with yet again on DVD. So the concept of "original theatrical version" is muddied to the point where it is nearly meaningless (since 2 different versions were playing simultaneously in theaters). And the only way to get exactly what you saw in the theater is via a bootleg.

QuiGonJosh 09-08-04 03:54 PM

TOLD YA SO! :D

Kal-El 09-08-04 03:59 PM

No biggie for me. Episode 1 Yoda looked like shit anyway. I'd gladly buy it.