Reload this Page >

Night Of The Living Dead - New Release Today

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Night Of The Living Dead - New Release Today

Old 09-08-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sracer
I guess that I can sit back and say, "no biggie, I got my Elite ME disc, and my brother has the original Elite disc".

The ME, contains EVERYTHING that the Original Elite contains..... Since your brother has it, it's no big deal, but it wouldn't be any benefit to own the original if you have the ME....

Matt
Old 09-08-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Anybody acutally have this?
I'm curious about the DTS track on it.
Old 09-08-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by KillerQ
The ME, contains EVERYTHING that the Original Elite contains..... Since your brother has it, it's no big deal, but it wouldn't be any benefit to own the original if you have the ME....

Matt
Yep, I know. How do you think my cheapskate brother got the original Elite disc? I bought the Elite disc back-in-the-day when it was $25 (and happy to pay that)... and upgraded when the ME was released... and little brother got my hand-me-down.
Old 09-08-04, 08:52 AM

A little nip and tuck is NOT what this movie needs.

My money is staying put right here in my pocket.

Just got myself the Millenium edition and I am mighty satisfied with that.
Old 09-08-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Originally posted by rexinnih
Anybody acutally have this?
I'm curious about the DTS track on it.
There's a review linked earlier in the thread.
Old 09-08-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sracer
That assumes that the person even knows that there is an Elite ME in the first place. Believe it or not, there are plenty of people who care about DVDs but don't follow this forum... or any DVD forum.
You misunderstand me; I'm not saying everybody has to follow forums to be a "true DVD fan" or anything like that. I'm merely saying that somebody who cares enough about DVDs to be actually bothered by not having the best release is also going to be somebody who looks into what the best release is, via any number of on-line sites (forum or non), or even asking in the store. I'm saying, you're worrying yourself over people who don't need to be worried over.

Virtually all of the films on disc have only one release available. Someone sees NOTLD, and pick it up (not realizing that there are a dozen different releases of different quality).
But, in that case, why aren't you railing against the other releases? The other releases offer shitty transfers with no bonus features and are all cheaper, so if somebody is going to buy the title without finding out what the best version is, they'll buy the cheaper version. This version at least has something unique to it (I mean the Nelson commentary, although the colorization is unique too).

Also, I tend to think that your beef is actually with the stores, since it's the stores who under-order titles they don't think will sell (I'm guessing they think the ME is too expensive, not sure), and who under-order titles from smaller distributors, and who under-order horror movies in general.

It just seems like ... well, if I were going to start forcing my opinions on everybody else, it wouldn't start with forcing them to buy only the best version of 'Living Dead' and no other option, that's for sure. [And I'll also say that if it weren't for that copyright mistake you're talking about, quite a few people would never have seen the movie in the first place. I bought it sight unseen for 2.99 at Blockbuster on VHS, many people started watching it on television ... granting that it's terrible to take money away from Romero, who earned it, the lack of copyright definitely helped the spread of the film itself.]
Old 09-08-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
You misunderstand me; I'm not saying everybody has to follow forums to be a "true DVD fan" or anything like that. I'm merely saying that somebody who cares enough about DVDs to be actually bothered by not having the best release is also going to be somebody who looks into what the best release is, via any number of on-line sites (forum or non), or even asking in the store. I'm saying, you're worrying yourself over people who don't need to be worried over.
I'm not misunderstanding you. You've said that those who care enough about DVDs will take the effort to find out what is the best release to own. And I'm saying that there are people out there that don't even know that they need to be concerned. There are people out there who care about the film but don't know that there are options.

But hey, I don't feel the need to convince you. I've seen firsthand, friends who care about the film, picked up the Madacy POS (or the AB 30th anniv, thinking it was the best one)... they didn't know there was more than one available.

But, in that case, why aren't you railing against the other releases?
Please use the SEARCH facility on this forum... you'll see that I have.

Also, I tend to think that your beef is actually with the stores, since it's the stores who under-order titles they don't think will sell (I'm guessing they think the ME is too expensive, not sure), and who under-order titles from smaller distributors, and who under-order horror movies in general.
Stores cannot stock merchandise that doesn't exist. If these POS releases didn't exist, then they wouldn't stock them.

It just seems like ... well, if I were going to start forcing my opinions on everybody else, it wouldn't start with forcing them to buy only the best version of 'Living Dead' and no other option, that's for sure. [And I'll also say that if it weren't for that copyright mistake you're talking about, quite a few people would never have seen the movie in the first place. I bought it sight unseen for 2.99 at Blockbuster on VHS, many people started watching it on television ... granting that it's terrible to take money away from Romero, who earned it, the lack of copyright definitely helped the spread of the film itself.]
If the film has been mistakenly released into the public domain, what incentive is there to "help spread the film"? Why would any Romero fan or NOTLD fan care to encourage people to buy cheap POS versions? (just to get them to see it) Romero doesn't see a dime from these releases. And the quality of the presentation doesn't do the film justice.

I don't give a flip about getting people to see it. I just want to see people who do care about the film, get the best possible version. IMO, the Elite disc should be the only version available. (of course that will never happen, but that is my opinion).
Old 09-08-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, oh man, Look at the thread i Started...lol...

I don't want to egg you on anymore, but you said:

"There are people out there who care about the film but don't know that there are options" Well two things come to mind...

1) Some people who "care" about the film, might be content with any version -- as long as they can watch it.

and

2) If somone was a real fan (die hard, "have to get the best" type), i doubt they would go grab the first version on the shelf thinking it was the only release....that being said, if someone did really have a passion about having the "right" one, they would inquire further......if they don't, then they don't care what release they have - as mentioned above -- as long as they can watch it....

'nuff said,

Matt

Last edited by KillerQ; 09-08-04 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-11-04, 11:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Picked it up. I also have the ME. The commentary track is the reason to pick it up. It can be hit or miss, but it is worth a listen.
Old 09-13-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all,

Ok i have to say that i was shocked that BestBuy didn't carry this in their stores, niether did Media Play (which i find VERY unusual). Anyway, I had to run to Meijer to pick something up -- and sure enough, there was the new Colorized Night release -- and to top that it was Under $10!!

I love this movie, and don't get mad when people add things to it -- it's interesting to see differen't people's takes on it...

The colorization is a neat option to have and the commentary is absolutely Hillarious!!

Worth every penny....

Does anyone here have the Laugh Tracks version of this film? How is it?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 09-13-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by KillerQ
Does anyone here have the Laugh Tracks version of this film? How is it?
Please tell me you're joking.
Old 09-13-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
Please tell me you're joking.
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...item_id=566389
nope, he's not joking.
Old 09-13-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey,

I just noticed that the back of the Laugh Tracks version states that it's in Widescreen -- haha, should be interesting. Now NONE of the Zombies will have heads!

Matt