DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

tell me why you collect dvd's

Old 09-07-04, 04:21 AM
Banned

tell me why you collect dvd's

I'm trying to figure out how having over a thousand dvd's can be a good thing. I have about 25 movies on dvd and some tv sets and it feels like too much, i don't have enough time in my life to ever really watch them. if you own hundreds of dvds, when do you guys ever watch them? i like having less dvds because by only owning the ones that i think are masterpieces (not many films are) it makes my standards a lot higher. plus you save so much money. give me your thoughts.
Old 09-07-04, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think its fun.
Old 09-07-04, 04:54 AM

I don't have anything better to do.
Old 09-07-04, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
To impress new members such as yourself.

So by your logic, the less you own, the higher they rank? Sorry but I can think of hundreds of masterpiece films. I own them. That is why I have them Incase the need ever comes up where I say "Gee, I really would like to watch ______ today." That is why. Because I do not limit myself to only a few titles. I like a lot of films. I like it so much that it has become my career.

Saving so much money? Well I make so much money and if I spend it on the stuff that I enjoy then who is to say that I am doing wrong or why should I justify it to someone?

By your logic you think that in the entire history of film and television, that only 25 titles are beyond anything else and nothing else comes close to it. Tell me who is closed minded now.
Old 09-07-04, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the best essay i have ever read on what it means to collect movies, was written by Doug Pratt for the intro to his LaserDisc Companion, and can be found on Robert Fowkes HT web site

Even the wealthiest individuals cannot buy what doesn't exist. Thus it was, even a year before the advent of home video, that a movie 'fan' could only dream of owning a favorite film, or spend hundreds of dollars for a used 35mm print and suffer the efforts of cranking the thing through a bulky projection system. Technology, however, is the arch rival of inflation. Today, the same fan can own dozens of movies for what one movie used to cost. Tomorrow, the days when movies couldn't be owned by the masses and when unseen authority figures provided the only choices for entertainment on television will be as forgotten as the 15-stop cross country flight.
and i'm old enough to remember the days pre-vcr, when even HBO airings of films were fleeting and ephemeral.
to own a beautiful copy of a favorite movie is still a major thrill.that sensation will never get old.

Last edited by ckolchak; 09-07-04 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-07-04, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
well said ckolchak... well said indeed. There was a time when it was hard to get the film in anything but fullscreen and it cost extra. That is why I collect dvds. Because it is a film that I enjoyed and I recall a time when it was hard to come by everything I enjoyed. So I love to own anything I enjoyed enough that I would one day want to watch again or share with others.

Why buy candy? Why buy a fast car? Because you enjoy what it brings you.
Old 09-07-04, 05:49 AM

I and my wife use DVDs as a way of doing something together, similar to collecting antiques or trinkets.

We have very busy lives that tend to distance us from seeing each other, but then we are home together, we like to stay at home and just relax to a good movie. What is a good movie really just depends on the mood we're in and if the kids are going to watch the movie(s) with us. So by having a large collection (1300+ DVDs), we can pick and choose movies that we've forgotten parts of and rewatch them and still spend time together. We can share movies with our friends and families.
Old 09-07-04, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why?
Well, with me at least. I get the collecting gene which runs in my family. So anything I like, I collect.
Old 09-07-04, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

So by your logic, the less you own, the higher they rank? Sorry but I can think of hundreds of masterpiece films. I own them. That is why I have them Incase the need ever comes up where I say "Gee, I really would like to watch ______ today." That is why. Because I do not limit myself to only a few titles. I like a lot of films. I like it so much that it has become my career.

Saving so much money? Well I make so much money and if I spend it on the stuff that I enjoy then who is to say that I am doing wrong or why should I justify it to someone?

By your logic you think that in the entire history of film and television, that only 25 titles are beyond anything else and nothing else comes close to it. Tell me who is closed minded now.
Could not agree more. How many times does the original poster go to Blockbuster and rent movies? I stay away from rental stores as my time is wasted going back and forth to a rental store especially when most of the time I am picking up titles for $10.00 or less.

The ability to walk over to my collection and choose something I am in the mood to watch or may think of while at work that day and say....I think I may watch that tonight is the main reason I collect my movies. Movies bought unseen.....if I do not like I sell them on ebay so I do not keep movies just to say I have them. If they have no replay value for me, they do not stay on my shelf.

By your estimation....there are only 25 masterpieces in existence. Please list the 25 dvds in your collection. I would like to see your masterpieces. There are far more than 25 movies in existence worth owning which would be considered masterpieces by many. Of course...to some....Fast Times At Ridgemont High is a masterpiece.
Old 09-07-04, 07:26 AM
Banned

I love movies
Old 09-07-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Many, many times when I'm reading through this forum and see a movie mentioned, it will cross my mind that it's something I haven't watched for a while, and I love the idea that in less than a minute I can have it playing. I also enjoy the ease of "free assocation" - I'll be watching a movie and it will somehow remind me of another movie (could be cast, director, plot point, or even something about the music or photography) that I can then pull off the shelf and watch next.
Old 09-07-04, 08:51 AM

I do it to impress the new girl in the Accounts department
Old 09-07-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1) I'm a collector. At any time in my life I can say that I collected something from shoes, books to records, CDs to movie cards and comics. It just happens that at this point in my life I can afford to own every movie or TV show I ever enjoyed (a few do not have a DVD release but I believe, in time, they will make it).

2) I'm a home body. I used to go to the movies once a week and watched around two TV shows a day. I don't watch TV anymore and go to the movies only for a Sci-Fi masterpiece .
Now I watch a movie a night, after or durning dinner or several shows of a TV series. Before DVD I would watch Babylon 5 and Stargate SG-1 off the Sci-Fi channel every night, now I pick the shows and no commericals. I love it.

After a 50 hour week at work I don't even want to talk with people. I want quiet time with myself. What better way than to watch a much loved movie or read a book.

Last edited by pagansoul; 09-07-04 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-07-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

Originally posted by ckolchak
and i'm old enough to remember the days pre-vcr, when even HBO airings of films were fleeting and ephemeral.
to own a beautiful copy of a favorite movie is still a major thrill.that sensation will never get old.
Both those posts sum up my thoughts pretty well.

25 movies out of 100 years of filmmaking are masterpieces? Give me a break. I'll tell ya though, when I first started buying DVD's and found this board, I didn't think I'd ever own 100 DVD's, let alone the several hundred that I do now. (No idea how many, not into counting or cataloging. I would estimate around 600 unique titles (not counting individual discs in multidisc collections) on shelves with about 1100 actually having been bought, the difference being ones I've sold, traded or given away. Yeah, I said given away! In other words, some deserve to be in the collection, others do not and are dealt with in a severe manner.) I just got an order in from overseas of 12 asian DVD's I'd consider to be 'masterpieces' (or at least must sees that aren't available in the states!)

When I was a kid, before there was such thing as VHS or Beta in the mainstream, I always wanted my own home theater like you'd see in the movies or on TV. There was no way that would be possible unless I was way rich, was a film director/producer, or both. Tape never seemed like an option for collecting because it degraded, and when it came out the equipment around wasn't all that exciting (not to mention the average VHS retail price was around $99!) With DVD though, things have changed. I can have that theater with more movies than I would ever have believed possible. The quality is always there and the equipment has stepped up the medium.

To answer your original question, is it a good thing? For me, yes it is. It fulfills a lifelong dream, provides me with hours of entertainment, gives me a hobby, keeps me away from hookers and drugs, and occasionally I get to be the 'big man' and host a movie watching party with friends for films that they've heard of but haven't seen because they're either unavailable in the US or just hitting the US theatrical market; even though they've been available on DVD for months overseas. Next week I'm hosting a party for Hero, Zaitochi and Ju-on The Grudge, for example. Previous parties have been for 28 Days Later... about a week after its' US theatrical release, and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon on the same day as its' US theatrical release. It's fun.

I have to turn the question around and ask how is it bad? I guess if someone is overspending and neglecting other aspects of their life, it would be bad. But that wouldn't be me. I'm buying a house next year, own 2 late model vehicles that are paid for, have my retirement squared away, am able to shop when and where I want to, have an emergency fund, and everything else that would mean financial security. Why can't I own as many DVDs as I want to, and who is it hurting?

Last edited by renaldow; 09-07-04 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-07-04, 10:43 AM

Re: tell me why you collect dvd's

Originally posted by g_i_john
...I have about 25 movies on dvd..i don't have enough time in my life to ever really watch them...
Do us all a favor -- watch one DVD a day and you'll be dead by early October
Old 09-07-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
I'm a collector as well, and have also collected this and that over the years. As a fan of a lot of different kind of movies, I have to say that it's enjoyable for me to be able to have quality copies of all my favorite movies from over the years. Some movies I like may not be to others' taste, but I don't buy movies to impress other people. They're my movies.

Having said that, I think we need to give the OP a small break. Reading his post, I don't think it should be read that the 25 movies he owns are the masterpieces of the ages, and he simply refuses to buy any more. If he's a movie fan at all, I'm sure he'll buy more, and I'm quite sure that if he listed his collection, his idea of a masterpiece would most likely differ from someone else's idea. That's what having an opinion is all about.

Old 09-07-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I love movies
Old 09-07-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Something to do." This was Roy's (the Korean kid in The Perfect Score) response when asked why he did drugs.

DVDs are sorta like a drug cuz they're so addictive.

In all seriousness, I've collected stuff all my life, from comics to basketball cards to CDs to clothes. Now I'm into DVDs cuz I love movies.
Old 09-07-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love movies!
Old 09-07-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because it's fun to own things, and because I love movies.
Old 09-07-04, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by natevines
anything I like, I collect.
Old 09-07-04, 01:23 PM

I rambled, so hopefully this is readable...

I love film, it's not my whole life but it's a huge part of it. DVDs are one of the best things ever invented for film, and I'm a sucker for extra features. I love ALL kinds of film, from horror to New Wave French and Italian films to action and animated- and I try to expose myself to new films all the time so there's a ton of films I "need" to see and "have" to own. I can't understand people who say "there's not even a few hundred films I'd want to watch!" as much as they don't understand me owning a lot of DVDs.

I'm a pretty sick girl in a lot of pain, so after schoolwork/studying and exercising I basically watch films during the week, it's like a mini vacation from doctors and treatments. DVDs are a godsend for people who get stuck on home due to a chronic illness! But I am planning on paring down my collection some in the near future, I only own things I want but some things I haven't returned to in a long time.

Or you can just say I'm addicted, that works too.
Old 09-07-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since VHS days, unless I am out with friends, I've never been in the habit of going to the rental store - I'd get distracted, there wasn't enough time, or it just seemed like too much of a chore. I've also never ponied up the cash for HBO or any of the other premium cable channels. When I found myself in a period of not making it out to the movie theater as often as I'd like, I started picking up DVD's of things I'd wanted to see, and of course a few old favorites. Since I naturally go into internet research mode for other purchases, I soon found this site, and learned how to be an informed & frugal DVD shopper (and how fun that is!).

I joined Netflix this spring, so my purchasing has tapered off quite a bit while my viewing has skyrocketed. I don't make blind buys anymore, because I don't need to, but they did make a lot of sense for me before Netflix.

My collection is tiny by the standards of this site, and I probably watch from it far less frequently than others do from theirs. But just like the folks with 1000+ collections, I love having a variety of movies on hand that I can pop in when the mood strikes me. I won't watch every movie I own every year, but I generally figure that if I watch it twice it's paid for itself, and it will still be there in two years, or five years, or five days time - whenever I want to revisit it.

I'm also from the generation for whom owing a film still feels a bit like magic.
Old 09-07-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't collect DVD's, I collect movies.
Old 09-07-04, 01:51 PM
Retired

I only buy movies I love and know I will watch repeatedly over the years, which is cheaper in the long run than renting them every time I want to see them. Plus it's nice to have a bunch of movies I really like so I can just throw one in on a rainy day without having to trek to the rental store.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.