DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Thin Man Movie Series (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/384010-thin-man-movie-series.html)

whoster69 09-06-04 01:26 PM

The Thin Man Movie Series

I know that the first Thin Man film has been released on DVD but does anyone know if there are any plans to release all six films and if so when?

This is one of my favorite movies series. I'd really love to see them on DVD.

Thanks.

darkside 09-06-04 01:29 PM

I've been waiting years to replace my Laserdisc set with a DVD set, but so far nothing.

I thought the rest of the movies were on the release list for this year, but I haven't heard anything about it recently.

whoster69 09-06-04 01:32 PM

Darn. Sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the quick reply though!

toccoa_winters 09-06-04 01:33 PM

if you cant wait for the dvd's TCM will be showing what i think is the whole series on 9/08.

whoster69 09-06-04 01:54 PM

Thanks for the info Toccoa. I've already got them on VHS. I'd just like to have them on DVD.

Paul Drake 09-07-04 09:23 PM

One of the admins on another forum once said the remaining films were scheduled to be released over the next 18 months after the first.

#2 and #3 were supposed to come out in late 2004 (they were in last year's Warner poll so one can surmise the studio was at least working on them) however it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

One can only hope that Warners is instead working on on a "Tarzan" style box set of all 6 films. THAT would be worth waiting for.

whoster69 09-07-04 10:21 PM

Sounds great! I hope you're right Paul.

Thanks for the info!

ckolchak 09-07-04 10:41 PM

there is still room in December for some classic releases from Warner, but there is also an awful lot of films left from last years poll that haven't been released, so it does look iffy.
since they are releasing more and more themed boxed sets, it just makes sense to release all these films in one swoop.
if anyone is going to buy one, its more than likely they would buy a few or all them if given the chance.

i'm still waiting for an announcment for the Libeled Lady, which is my favorite Loy/Powell film.
according to their chat from 2003, that was supposed to get a release this year as well.

and the NYT reported that Swing Time was going to be in a batch of George Stevens films being released in December, but i can't find conclusive word one way or another (that would be great news if true).

whoster69 09-07-04 11:31 PM

I haven't even seen Libeled Lady! I'll have to check it out!

Thanks for the info!

RevKarl 09-08-04 12:19 AM

Originally posted by ckolchak
...i'm still waiting for an announcment for the Libeled Lady, which is my favorite Loy/Powell film.
according to their chat from 2003, that was supposed to get a release this year as well...

This would be a first-day preorder for me if it ever gets released! One of the best screwball comedies of all-time!!!
(whoster69: TCM plays the film just about every other month, if you're unable to find a VHS copy to rent.)

Mr. Toast 09-08-04 09:10 AM

Libeled lady is showing on 9/19 on TCM in fact

whoster69 09-08-04 09:17 AM

What is TCM?

davejt1 09-08-04 09:20 AM

Originally posted by whoster69
What is TCM?
Turner Classic Movies

whoster69 09-08-04 09:23 AM

Originally posted by davejt1
Turner Classic Movies
OK. Thanks. I don't get that one so I guess I'll be looking for it on VHS for the moment.

Thanks for the info everyone. This has been great!

Paul Drake 09-08-04 08:35 PM

Originally posted by ckolchak

i'm still waiting for an announcment for the Libeled Lady, which is my favorite Loy/Powell film.
according to their chat from 2003, that was supposed to get a release this year as well.

That is indeed a great film. I doubt if it'll happen, but I would love to see a Powell/Loy "Signature Collection" of non Thin Man films. There's enough of them to choose from.

I'd even include my favorite film that nobody ever heard of "The Senator Was Indiscreet" a Powell flick from 1947 in which Loy had a cameo. It's a laugh out loud political satire.

Ckolchak does raise good points out items that Warners initially said were coming out that I haven't seen any mention of. The VAL LEWTON collection is another item that was supposed to be out this year.

In truth, these delays are actually ok with me. I've spent a ton of money this year on Warner box sets that spacing them out is appreciated.

Seeker 09-08-04 10:33 PM

Yep - TCM showing them now.

MrN 09-08-04 10:38 PM

Originally posted by whoster69
OK. Thanks. I don't get that one so I guess I'll be looking for it on VHS for the moment.

Thanks for the info everyone. This has been great!

You should probably drop a suggestion to your cable company - if you love classic film, TCM is indispensible.

Another great reason to watch Libeled Lady - Harlow and Tracy. Other Powell/Loy films they play every now and then: Love Crazy and I Love You Again.

Megatron 09-08-04 11:47 PM

Question Mark??? but I'm in for a box set.

scarredgod 09-09-04 12:57 AM

in the middle of watching the series right now on TCM, great films. Myrna Loy is so beautiful and so sassy.

whoster69 06-19-05 03:18 PM

Any new news on The Thin Man series?

Thought I'd just ask again because it's been awhile.

Thanks.

BigDan 06-19-05 03:32 PM

The complete movie series DVD box set will be released on August 2nd.

whoster69 06-19-05 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by BigDan
The complete movie series DVD box set will be released on August 2nd.

WOO-HOO!!!! GREAT NEWS!!!

Thanks a lot BigDan! I've been waiting and waiting for this one!!!! :clap:

D-Ball 06-19-05 03:54 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418382