DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   What do you do once you upgrade your DVDs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/383742-what-do-you-do-once-you-upgrade-your-dvds.html)

bodomnet 09-04-04 12:17 PM

What do you do once you upgrade your DVDs?

Just wondering what you guys do when you update an old DVD with a new speical edition?

With Goodfellas and The Lost Boys SE's coming out soon (R2)
I was wondering what to do with my older editions..

Ended up giving them to my sisters partner.

Just wondering what you guys do?

I dont see a point in "archiving" them.. As if I'd use a snapper again once I have a nice 2 disc SE in a keep case ;)

SFranke 09-04-04 12:19 PM

When I find out a better edition is on the way, I list my old one on Half.com, Amazon, or eBay to finance the purchase of the new one. Since I buy most of my DVDs from Columbia House, I almost always break even, if not make a few dollars.

Mike Lowrey 09-04-04 12:32 PM

I don't double-dip often, but when I do, I usually just give'em to my sister for Christmas.

Bronkster 09-04-04 12:41 PM

For the few times I've upgraded, I've given the old disk to a friend or family member.

Kicker_of_Elves 09-04-04 12:47 PM

I usually trade in my old copies at a Video Game store or sell them in the exchange forum.

sracer 09-04-04 01:36 PM

I don't double-dip often either... but when I do, I give the old ones to family. Occasionally there is a reason to keep the older one. In the case of "Dawn of the Dead", I'll be keeping my OOP anniversary edition when I pick up the boxset.

the narrator 09-04-04 01:42 PM

I usually trade my old copy into spun, or to a friend that doesn't care about having the good edition

TylerDurden_73 09-04-04 02:12 PM

I sell mine on amazon.com

tommyp007 09-04-04 02:15 PM

I give them to my friend who is trying to build a bigger collection.

ArchibaldTuttle 09-04-04 02:32 PM

I don't plan on double dipping till HD stuff comes out, it's pretty easy to tell what dvds will get se treatment, and I have plenty of patience.

RockyMtnBri 09-04-04 02:43 PM

I sell them at a store here (Round Rock TX) called Hastings. The nice thing is, they'll give you 40% more if you turn your sale into store credit. Even if there isn't anything at the physical store you want to buy, you can use the credit at their on-line store!

TomOpus 09-04-04 02:45 PM

What I don't want, I give away to friends/family

RevKarl 09-04-04 03:02 PM

Some I sell, some I give away...and, since I don't let anyone borrow the DVDs in my collection, I keep some as "loaners" for friends/family to use to test out newly-purchased HT equipment.

mikewendt 09-04-04 03:43 PM

usually my brother gets them if he wants... most of the time though eBay.

marty888 09-04-04 04:24 PM

eBay ... I'll often sell off my DVD when the upgrade is officially announced, especially if the edition I have is OOP and still getting big bucks.

Brian Shannon 09-04-04 04:32 PM

I give them away

RobCA 09-04-04 04:36 PM

I always sell them on eBay.

Rob

critterdvd 09-04-04 05:55 PM

I usually give the older versions to my parents, because all they care about are the movies themselves, and not the special features or transfers.

gutwrencher 09-04-04 06:22 PM

it's been the same answer for the last 3 years on the board. I like keeping older editions. having a back-up, even if lesser quality, makes me feel secure-wink-.

the past year though...I've donated over 50 titles to the local library and hospital. also, a few have gone to buddies who are less fortunate and dont have large collections.

eXcentris 09-04-04 07:06 PM

I give most of them away. The leftovers are burned in a ritual ceremony to appease the DVD gods.

fryinpan1 09-04-04 07:21 PM

I sell them on Ebay, but if I am feeling generous I will give them to my brother.

flix1 09-04-04 09:15 PM

Ebay. Although up to a year ago, I kept EVERYTHING (so I had double, triple, and quintuple (AOD) versions, PLUS duplicates of OOP titles).

I put up about 10-20 DVDs a month on Ebay as of the past couple of months. I have about 200 left to sell.

clckworang 09-04-04 10:28 PM

I like to shower my friends with little gifts. Whenever someone does something particulary nice for me, above and beyond the call of duty, I let them pick from a shelf where I put DVDs that are up for grabs.

DeanoBKN 09-05-04 12:03 AM

I trade in mine when I go to buy the newer version, unless it's a title I know a friend would really like.

sataniko 09-05-04 12:45 AM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBri
I sell them at a store here (Round Rock TX) called Hastings. The nice thing is, they'll give you 40% more if you turn your sale into store credit. Even if there isn't anything at the physical store you want to buy, you can use the credit at their on-line store!
I had no idea Hastings did this, I will have to give them a try. Thanks!