DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Cannibal Holcaust U.S. release Finally...!!! (WARNING: graphic images) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/383343-cannibal-holcaust-u-s-release-finally-warning-graphic-images.html)

Julie Walker 09-01-04 10:57 PM

Cannibal Holcaust U.S. release Finally...!!! (WARNING: graphic images)

Unless Grindhouse 'delays' yet again,they are aiming for an early 2005 release.

Check it out here................

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2728

September 1: Grindhouse gearing up CANNIBAL and PIECES DVDs

Bob Murawski of Grindhouse Entertainment just gave Fango the word that the long-anticipated special-edition DVD of Ruggero Deodato’s CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (pictured) is nearing completion for release in the first half of 2005. And Murawski promises it’ll be worth the wait. “It’s going to be a two-disc super-deluxe set for the movie’s 25th anniversary,” he tells us. “It’s going to have a 16x9-enhanced digital transfer, plus we’ve remixed the movie with all the original stereo music, plus the original mono track will be there for the purists. We’ve got audio commentary by Deodato and the star, Robert Kerman, a lot of interviews with Deodato, Kerman and many of the cast and crew, plus the usual trailers and still galleries and other great stuff, and liner notes by Chas. Balun.

“It’s good to finally be getting this thing out,” Murawski adds. And what was behind the delay? “SPIDER-MAN and SPIDER-MAN 2, that’s really been it,” he says of the Sam Raimi superhero spectaculars on which he served as editor. “For the last couple of months on the sequel, it was seven days a week, so there wasn’t a lot of time. And on CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST we had a lot of technical problems, like getting the proper elements from Rome, dealing with the labs and getting prints that were sufficient, and there were difficulties with the sound as well, getting the separate dialogue, music and effects tracks to do the mix. Before I started SPIDER-MAN 2 I was probably 80 percent done with CANNIBAL, but it was impossible to do both at the same time.”

Murawski also reveals that he’s deep into another DVD project that should warm the hearts of Eurogorehounds everywhere: a special edition of Juan Piquer Simon’s chainsaw extravaganza PIECES. “We’ve got a new hi-def digital transfer for that, and we’re remastering the sound,” he reveals. “We’re in communication with Juan Piquer, who apparently has a huge amount of material that was never in the movie, deleted scenes, publicity material and all kinds of great stuff. So we’re going to interview him and get him to do a commentary, and it’s going to be a definitive release of that movie. I love PIECES; I actually drove 60 miles to see it when it first came out, and was not disappointed. It’s one of those movies that fully delivers on every promise that’s made on the one-sheet. ‘It’s exactly what you think it is!’ ”

Several other titles are in the works at Grindhouse, including a DVD of Lucio Fulci’s CAT IN THE BRAIN (which the company previously issued on laserdisc). No exact street dates have been set yet: “We’re in the process of making deals with some distributors to put them out,” Murawski reports. “Hopefully, we’ll get them all with one company.” And while he’s not working on the Raimi-produced THE GRUDGE, Murawski does reveal a cool bit of news on the October 22 release: It’s being scored by Christopher Young, the gifted composer whose genre credits include the first two HELLRAISER movies, THE DARK HALF, TALES FROM THE HOOD, SPECIES, URBAN LEGEND and BLESS THE CHILD. —Michael Gingold

asianxcore 09-01-04 11:03 PM

good news!

I am still kicking myself for not getting that 2 disc french version of Cannibal Holocaust when I was in Europe over the summer.

emhello 09-01-04 11:47 PM

I saw 'pieces' when it came out originally in the theater. Funny movie! :)

TomOpus 09-01-04 11:54 PM

Very cool news... especially about Pieces. I've had the unrated disc but the quality made me long for VHS again.

Digital Groove 09-02-04 01:01 AM

Thank god, I've been waiting a couple years now for this. I held out on importing a non-Region 1 copy.

DBP 09-02-04 06:02 AM

Originally posted by asianxcore
good news!

I am still kicking myself for not getting that 2 disc french version of Cannibal Holocaust when I was in Europe over the summer.

Well you can give your shins a rest, because the French release - taken from the Italian remastering before it - is missing footage anyway.

So far only the third Dutch EC Entertainment release has been uncut and complete, although that had a few faults of its own. Hopefully Grindhouse will get everything right.

Hopefully...

steebo777 09-02-04 07:01 AM

Hey oh!!!! This is wonderful news :D

SuperNova 09-02-04 08:12 AM

Really great news. I own the Alan Young Pictures release which has the forced subtitles. The transfer is amazing, but at times too bright. Anyway awesome to hear. :)

Mountain Biker 09-02-04 08:25 AM

Great news about Pieces - will definitely be picking that one up.

Mondo Kane 09-02-04 11:49 AM

About Friggin' time!

Plus Cat in the Brain?!?!

:thumbsup:

Good to see that Grindhouse Releasing is alive and well.

Johnny Zhivago 09-02-04 12:07 PM

:up: 'bout time!

Giles 09-02-04 02:00 PM

well what made Image relinquish it's rights to Cat in the Brain?

ah Pieces, the bastion of hideous looking DVD's, the $6 edition I picked up month's ago, is hands the worst DVD I have ever seen, the print looks like fourth generation VHS and got run over by a lawnmower in the process as well, thank god for a new and improved future version.

okay, in regards to Cannibal Holocaust - damnit and I just recently bought the EC Entertainment double disc edition. Do you think we'll finally hear about the legendary deleted "piranha feeding' sequence with the promised commentary track - hmmm, I hope so?

Chad 09-02-04 02:36 PM

Good to hear about Pieces and Cat in the Brain. :up:

I've never seen Cannibal Holocaust, and even though I don't think it would warrant a purchase for me, I would definitely want to check it out as a rental.

cultshock 09-02-04 05:37 PM

Finally! Good news. :up:

Sex Fiend 09-02-04 06:24 PM

Pieces... awesome ! I've been waiting for a decent release of this since I first started collecting DVD's. I had almost gotten to the point of caving in and buying the current crapola release, since this is one of the few 80's cheeseball horror flicks missing from my extensive cheeseball 80's horror flick collection.

gutwrencher 09-02-04 08:46 PM

guess I'm triple-dipping for CH.:thumbsup:

Sunday Morning 09-02-04 11:25 PM

I can't remember, does the EC 2 disc version have the same features?

Leechboy 09-02-04 11:56 PM

Are any B & M's going to carry this. I would love for some soccer mom to buy this for their 10 year old son.

steebo777 09-03-04 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Leechboy
Are any B & M's going to carry this. I would love for some soccer mom to buy this for their 10 year old son.
That would be awesome. I need to get a job at BB for the sole purpose of making this happen. ;)

malkmuz 09-03-04 10:03 AM

:consume: :consume: :consume:

for once, holding out pays off. i love you, grindhouse! now wheres an american hippie in israel?! i've been wanting that since seeing the trailer on the i drink your blood disc :lol:

cverneau 10-20-04 11:54 AM

Should I hold off and wait for this new version??
I just received an e-mail from HKFlix where they're having a sale and selling the EC Entertainment version for $12.95.

Here's the link:
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

That's not a bad price - $18.00 shipped.
What do people here think??

Norm de Plume 10-20-04 12:16 PM

Isn't Grindhouse co-owned by Stallone's son?

Quatermass 10-20-04 12:49 PM

Originally posted by cverneau
Should I hold off and wait for this new version??
I just received an e-mail from HKFlix where they're having a sale and selling the EC Entertainment version for $12.95.

Here's the link:
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

That's not a bad price - $18.00 shipped.
What do people here think??

I just ordered one. If the Grindhouse version never materializes, I'll at least have this one (which may turn out to be better anyway). The First half of 2005 could be as much as 8 months away and a lot could happen in that time frame. Like you said, it's a good price. I also got a copy of Synapse's "Blue Sunshine" which is OOP, but still available at Amazon and a couple of other places. It was on sale for 13.95. I Highly recommended it.
Thanks for the tip.

OldBoy 10-20-04 12:55 PM

will this US version be completely uncut and just like the 2-discer that Xploited Cinema.com has?
http://www.xploitedcinema.com/images...olocaust_2.jpg

asianxcore 10-20-04 01:37 PM

that version that hkflix is selling, isn't that one missing footage?