Ed Wood Rare? - Here's What's Missing From The New Edition~

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-27-04, 10:50 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

From Video Business:

AUG. 27 | After two delays, Buena Vista Home Entertainment has slated the Ed Wood Special Edition DVD for an Oct. 19 release, but it'll have one less bonus feature than originally planned.

A cross-dressing retrospective was cut from the original lineup at the request of director Tim Burton, sources said.

The 1994 movie stars Johnny Depp as the legendary '50s director who was hailed as the worst director of all time and dressed in angora sweaters. Among the movies he helmed was the science-fiction flick Plan 9 From Outer Space.

The special edition was first scheduled for release in 2002. Then, the DVD was duplicated earlier this year and shipped to some stores for a Feb. 3 release, but BVHE pulled it days before because Burton hadn't signed off on the special edition.

Copies that made it out were immediately posted on eBay, where they were selling for as much as $150. The October release carries a $29.99 suggested retail price.

Even without the cross-dressing feature, the new special edition is packed with bonus features. Those include a commentary with Burton, actor Martin Landau and filmmakers; an on-set tour hosted by actor Johnny Depp; five deleted scenes including a rendition of Que Sera Sera by Bill Murray; a music video; and featurettes with composers and designers.
Old 08-27-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds odd to me.

Will someone who has the older version post details of the missing feature?
Old 08-27-04, 11:22 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Guess this is the

When Carol Met Larry" on page 2 of bonus features.

interviews, and clips from movie, all having to do with cross-dressing

it's little over 9 minutes long..

Last edited by lcnickell; 08-27-04 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-27-04, 11:23 PM

If this is true, it's good to finally get the scoop on why the original was recalled? This seems to be that reason, right?
Old 08-27-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally posted by Lokimok
Sounds odd to me.

Will someone who has the older version post details of the missing feature?
the details of the missing feature?

the crossdressing feature is interviews with a crossdresser and his wife, living life the way they do and so on. they comment on Ed Wood's crossdressing nature. I think the guy who crossdresses in the interview on the featurette, writes for a magazine that deals with that topic. I forgot what else was talked about in that particular featurette
Old 08-27-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So i finally have a real collector's item. Nice.
Old 08-27-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by lcnickell
I Guess this is the

When Carol Met Larry" on page 2 of bonus features.

interviews, and clips from movie, all having to do with cross-dressing

it's little over 9 minutes long..
Glad I got the Region 2 last year, which includes this.
Old 08-27-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by asianxcore
the details of the missing feature?

the crossdressing feature is interviews with a crossdresser and his wife, living life the way they do and so on. they comment on Ed Wood's crossdressing nature. I think the guy who crossdresses in the interview on the featurette, writes for a magazine that deals with that topic. I forgot what else was talked about in that particular featurette
Thanks. Sounds like I won't be missing too much.
Old 08-28-04, 12:40 AM

If this is true I'm happy as hell! Because I have the DVD that has that feature and it's not open!!!
Old 08-28-04, 01:01 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally posted by meharry2003
If this is true I'm happy as hell! Because I have the DVD that has that feature and it's not open!!!
Don't be too happy... That "feature" is really weak.

I also have this DVD as do many of thousands of others... It's really not that rare and if this is the only diff, don't plan on having anything worth reselling...

Oh yeah, you can actually open the DVD packages and watch them and enjoy the movie if you have a player...
Old 08-28-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I expect the price to go up just a tiny bit, but nothing worth crying over. Seeing how this special feature has little to do with the actual film...Ed Wood, I don't see how it's that important that it's not on the new version.
Old 08-28-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,189 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Originally posted by BrentLumkin
I expect the price to go up just a tiny bit, but nothing worth crying over. Seeing how this special feature has little to do with the actual film...Ed Wood, I don't see how it's that important that it's not on the new version.
Exactly. This extra has a very tenuous relation to the film itself. A missing commentary track or deleted scene would be a bigger deal, but I can't imagine most people (myself included) missing this extra. Anyway, it's good to finally have a reason, and a (hopefully) final release date.
Old 08-28-04, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

a missing featurette on cross dressing? maybe the huge population of rich cross dressers will have to have this but im sure 99.99% of people that dont already have the DVD will be happy with the version that comes out in OCT. i dont know how many people on Ebay will get excited over the headline, COMPLETE WITH A FEATURETTE ON CROSSDRESSING!
Old 08-28-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am glad that I ebayed mine when I did. I really doubt that anyone is going to pay a premium over the retail price for a DVD with a missing extra feature (that is not a Criterion).
Old 08-28-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So why the long delay to remove one extra feature then?
Old 08-28-04, 01:51 PM
Suspended

I dunno, you seen the people who pay big amounts extra for the short restoration clip on the Seven Samurai Criterion? i sold the one i had for $112 a few years back, when you can buy the used regular dvd for $20
Old 08-28-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Fincher Fan
So why the long delay to remove one extra feature then?
I'd assume the delay had more to do with Disney's negotiations with Tim Burton than the actual manufacturing, though changing the cover art, ordering and pressing a new run, sending new notices to dealers, planning new ads to run in magazines, etc., all take time too.
Old 08-28-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
How lame is that? I can't believe BV would release this without Burton approving it. Something smells fishy to me.
Old 08-28-04, 08:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
No big deal to me...I'd probably never watch that feature anyway.
Old 08-28-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by typecase
If this is true, it's good to finally get the scoop on why the original was recalled? This seems to be that reason, right?
I can't imagine BV would go through all that lost money just to remove a small featurette. Doesn't make any financial sense
Old 08-28-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It will probably end up as an easter egg on the disc anyway.
Old 08-29-04, 01:03 AM

These days there aren't many discs I look forward to getting. This, however, is one. I could care less about the featurette; I'm just glad I'll get to add this excellent film to my library.
Old 08-29-04, 01:03 AM

These days there aren't many discs I look forward to getting. This, however, is one. I could care less about the featurette; I'm just glad I'll get to add this excellent film to my library.
Old 08-29-04, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jericho
I can't imagine BV would go through all that lost money just to remove a small featurette. Doesn't make any financial sense
If the Video Business story is true, maybe Tim Burton had DVD content approval in his contract... if that was the case, they had no choice but pull & scrap the old releases if he insisted on the removal of the "offending" material(s).

It will be interesting to see if any of the other extras (including easter eggs) are changed/deleted for the October release.
Old 08-29-04, 03:34 AM

As someone who spent close to 40 bucks getting the initial version, I'm quite happy that there's a difference--however small--which distinguishes the two. I'm not one of those who's gonna hold onto it in hopes that it'll be worth something (I've already watched it multiple times) but it's just nice to know that I didn't spend more money just to get the exact same thing a half a year earlier.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.