Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ed Wood Rare? - Here's What's Missing From The New Edition~

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My comments would have mirrored Duber. Its not that I would miss it, nor that I feel the featurette is interesting, but to have the 'unique' first version is what collecting is all about.
Old 08-29-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by kayak99
My comments would have mirrored Duber. Its not that I would miss it, nor that I feel the featurette is interesting, but to have the 'unique' first version is what collecting is all about.
I guess. It's hard for me to believe, but I guess there are some who collect DVDs like some collect McDonald's happy meal toys or beer bottles.

Collecting for the sake of collecting is all about "bragging rights". Either as a topic of conversation, or when trying to sell the items.

"And this here Margie, is the infamous first release of the Ed Wood DVD. It was accidentally released and then immediately recalled. But what makes this disc soooo special is that there is a 9 minute featurette on cross-dressing! The Johnson's only have the re-released disc... and that DOESN'T have this featurette. See! Aren't you glad that I paid $50 more for our disc?! " ** THWACK **

...to those who cared enough about the film itself, went out and bought it...and then WATCHED IT!
Old 08-29-04, 07:00 PM

Reread my post again, sracer. I've watched the DVD multiple times. I watch what I buy.
Old 08-29-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sracer, I think most of the people who shelled out more than list price for the current DVD *have* watched it. One of the reasons most people paid the big bucks was because they liked the film and feared it would show up later without all of the extras.

All people seem to be saying (reasonably so) is that they're glad that there is *something* unique about the previous edition, to somewhat rationalize the extra price paid.

(And, yes, there are absolutely people out there who "collect" DVDs. Seems to make more sense to me than many things that people collect... including beer bottles.)
Old 08-29-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
sracer, I think most of the people who shelled out more than list price for the current DVD *have* watched it. One of the reasons most people paid the big bucks was because they liked the film and feared it would show up later without all of the extras.
That's not the impression that I got from the original threads when the disc was released and withdrawn. There were more than a few who said that they bought it and wondered if it would be worth more if it remained sealed. The virtually unanimous response was of course to "open it and watch it". But whether they did or not is unknown.... but we DO know that there were people who bought it without the intention of watching it.
Old 08-29-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
yea I don't think the assumption can be made on either side. I agree there were people I read about on this board who bought a bunch of copies when it was recalled, some to sell to friends, most to sell on ebay and so on. I paid 40+ euro for mine on a trip to Paris over the summer. I paid that much because I really like the movie and it's to finally have the movie on DVD. After 2 recalls, I was wondering if the movie would ever be coming out, so paying the 40+ euro I did for it didn't matter to me. Great film.
Old 08-30-04, 11:13 PM
Cool New Member

I think the recalled DVD also had an easter egg which contained an excellent 2 minute deleted scene between Ed Wood and Bela Lugosi that was considered controversial because Bela referred to people at Universal Studio as "bastards". Is this on the new version?
Old 08-31-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I figure we're going to have to wait until this disc is actually out to see what's up.

Got my copy of Ed Wood (thanks again lcnickell!) and love it... I know that some folks were trying to turn a quick profit, but there were also quite a few like myself who love the film and were tired of waiting... Our fellow DVDTalkers hooked us up at cost when they found extras. Mega props to all who did this.
Old 08-31-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't mind having the original released Ed Wood back, just for the sake of having it again, but I'm not going to cry a river over it since the upcoming release is going to be outstanding either way.

Who knows, we might even get a few easter eggs that are not on the other release.

I don't really collect DVDs, I buy them mainly just to have a bunch of cool stuff for me to watch. Since the feature that was removed has little to nothing to do with Ed Wood the movie, it doesn't really matter to me.

Whatever happens, at least we all now know that everyone who wants their Ed Wood goodness will be able to finally get it.
Old 02-13-18, 11:52 AM

Re: Ed Wood Rare? - Here's What's Missing From The New Edition~

For anyone curious about the omitted extra, it's on YouTube:

Ed Wood (1994) - Quando a Carry Conhece Larry - When Carol Met Larry
youtube DOT com/watch?v=A3jmz951MCs (I'm too new to post links)

Thanks to the original poster for the title of this extra!

Last edited by MRinLA; 02-13-18 at 11:53 AM. Reason: add thank you