DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Ally McBeal Season DVD's in U.S.? (USE A QUESTION MARK WHEN YOU ASK A QUESTION!) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/382367-ally-mcbeal-season-dvds-u-s-use-question-mark-when-you-ask-question.html)

spunko 08-27-04 12:49 PM

Ally McBeal Season DVD's in U.S.

Anyone know when they are going to release the seasons of Ally McBeal in the U.S., region 7? They are available in Europe, but is PAL format and diff. regions.

Philip Reuben 08-27-04 01:07 PM

Region 7??

I'll warn you in advance: You are likely to get flack for not including a question mark in your title.

If it does get released in R1, I wonder what the aspect ratio will be. Ally McBeal was filmed in widescreen from season 2 onwards, but composed mainly for broadcast in 4:3. The R2 release has season 4 in 4:3 (it was the first season released on DVD), and season 1 too of course, but the other 3 are in 16:9 anamorphic widescreen.

Season 5 was a complete trainwreck.

In conclusion, I have no idea.

rfduncan 08-27-04 01:19 PM

Re: Ally McBeal Season DVD's in U.S.

Originally posted by spunko
Anyone know when they are going to release the seasons of Ally McBeal in the U.S., region 1? They are available in Europe, but is PAL format and diff. regions.
I, myself, have never seen a show go south so quickly! I loved the first season beyond all reason and then it just fell apart. Billy gets a brain tumor and dies?!?!? It had a sudden resurgence with Robert Downey and then this daughter? WTF? I somehow wish the whole series was handled better than the overexposed, creator-neglected mess it ultimately became. So much promise and so little payoff by the series end. "You stinker" indeed, Mr. Kelley.

I have heard that there have been complications with the music rights that have prevented its video release.

critterdvd 08-27-04 03:33 PM

I don't think we'll ever see a region 1 release for this, just like "twin peaks season two"

Piazza 08-27-04 04:08 PM

that would totally suck as i enjoyed all 5 seasons of ally mcbeal and would buy them in instant.

dvd-4-life 08-27-04 05:40 PM

There are way too many music rights issues is one reason it won't be coming out in R1.

cultshock 08-27-04 05:46 PM

Anyone know when they are going to release the seasons of Ally McBeal in the U.S., region 7?
I say it's about time they released some Region 7 discs. That region has been "Reserved" for just too damn long. ;)

DVD Josh 08-27-04 08:35 PM

Originally posted by cultshock
I say it's about time they released some Region 7 discs. That region has been "Reserved" for just too damn long. ;)
Nigel Pulsford's DVD player goes up to Region 7 :)

clckworang 08-27-04 09:39 PM

I don't think this will be seeing a release for 2 reasons: First, the music rights issues that people have mentioned. Second, I don't think Season 1 sold all that well when it was released. I could be wrong about my second reason, but I really don't think it hit that big.

rfduncan, I completely agree with you. I really enjoyed Season 1, and I really didn't expect to. I wasn't expecting much but got so much more from it. But, like you said, after that it just went downhill, so fast in fact that I'm not sure if I even made it to the second season finale.

Maybe it's best just to think of it as a one-season show. After all, it ends on a note that would suit an ending to the series.

Piazza 08-27-04 10:09 PM

They never released season1 it was a best of set with a handful of episodes from season 1 that's why it did not sell well.

Tscott 08-27-04 10:09 PM

Some people may want to be a little more careful with spoilers in these types of threads as some may be interested in a title (when, or if, it gets released) but may not have watched it when it was originally on.

I remember thinking seasons 1 and 3 were the two strongest seasons, so those who stopped during season 2 are missing out. I'd be interested in getting all the episodes, as there were some good moments in all the seasons (I will admit they were fewer as they got into seasons 4 and 5 though).

And, I never got the best of season 1 set as I want all or nothing.

scarredgod 08-27-04 10:32 PM

this is a show that i would love season sets of. i never watched it when it was on the air and i saw a few minutes here and there in syndication and it drew my interest but i didnt watch it because i didnt know what season it was or what was going on. i would love to sit down with a season 1 set from netflix and give it a try.