DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   After Gone With The Wind what other classic movies are set for a same quality revamp? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/381923-after-gone-wind-what-other-classic-movies-set-same-quality-revamp.html)

Deco King 08-25-04 10:23 AM

After Gone With The Wind what other classic movies are set for a same quality revamp?

After Warners revamped all talking all singing all dancing super dooper Gone With The Wind remastered version what other classic titles are set for a similarly excellent job??

What are other readers classic movie requests for a similar remasterd version?

ViewAskewbian 08-25-04 11:30 AM

White Heat
Angels With Dirty Faces
The Public Enemy

natevines 08-25-04 11:32 AM

Please Re-issue Maltese Falcon and Big Sleep in 2-disc sets!
They're doing Shawshank Redemption also, so they should do Green Mile...maybe to promote Fahrenheit 451?

PopcornTreeCt 08-25-04 11:49 AM

Maltese Falcon badly. If anything just re-issue it in a keepcase! I wouldn't mind owning The Sting in widescreen. King Kong just needs to be released. Let's see here are some movies I'd love to get the multi-disc treatment:

It's A Wonderful Life
The Wizard of Oz
Clockwork Orange
A Streetcar Named Desire
Rebel Without a Cause
Stagecoach
The Searchers
The Wild Bunch

ThatGuamGuy 08-25-04 12:00 PM

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Rebel Without a Cause
The Searchers
The Wild Bunch

I'm pretty sure that at least these three are being worked on.

PopcornTreeCt 08-25-04 12:05 PM

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
I'm pretty sure that at least these three are being worked on.
Yeah, I think read that in one of the Warner chats at HTF. Its good news but so far nothing's definite.

joliom 08-25-04 12:14 PM

I think we'll definitely see new 2-Disc Special Editions for The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, The Philadelphia Story, The Wizard of Oz, A Streetcar Named Desire, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, and Ben-Hur sometime in the future.

Plus probably some more contemporary classics like L.A. Confidential, The Green Mile, Deliverance, The Killing Fields, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and The Exorcist.

Personally, I'd like to see Risky Business, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and the entire Dirty Harry series revisited.

joliom 08-25-04 12:21 PM

The Searchers and Stagecoach have already been announced (no definite release date yet, though). Some others that are already in the works are Heat, Bonnie and Clyde, Batman, Bullitt, and Three Kings.

garlandtaylor 08-25-04 01:18 PM

I want The Wizard of OZ, Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?, and National Velvet. In addition, I would love a release of Raintree County, but when I asked them about this title during a HTF chat, it needs a costly restoration, and isn't likely at this point. Shame.

Andy

lwhy? 08-25-04 01:44 PM

I would like to see Maltese Falcon and To Kill A mockingbird have the same treatment as Gone with the Wind.

flyboy 08-25-04 01:53 PM

I heard Bonnie and Clyde is a two disc for 2005

Zodiac_Speaking 08-25-04 01:56 PM

Who cares about those? Their releases are really good anyway.
Let's get King Kong, Mighty Joe Young, and Batman 2-disc SEs out.

Rypro 525 08-25-04 04:16 PM

Originally posted by joliom
and the entire Dirty Harry series revisited.
the current dirty harry dvd's have a documentary, 5.1 sound and good anamorphic transfters.

ckolchak 08-25-04 04:51 PM

The Searchers will definitely be out in 2006 according to Warners.

i would expect that Rebel Without A Cause will be remastered to be sold along side East Of Eden when that debuts next year, also.

kingtopher 08-25-04 04:57 PM

Aside from a commentary, I can't think of anything that could be included on a rerelease of the Wizard of Oz that isn't on the current edition. The available disc is packed with bonus features and looks and sounds great. I'm more than happy with it. I'd much prefer some time be spent with films that have poor releases or haven't been released yet.

For example, I'd really love for a lot of the early 30's gangster pictures to come out like Public Enemy, G-Men, Scarface (by itself), Little Caesar, etc.

Cameron 08-26-04 07:24 PM

African Queen

Hokeyboy 08-26-04 08:15 PM

Urban Moe

P.E. 08-26-04 10:26 PM

Definitely The Maltese Falcon, but that modern classics idea is a good one.

lwhy? 08-26-04 10:30 PM

I would like to see American Graffiti get a two disc release with a great transfer also.

ReduxGuy 08-26-04 11:35 PM

Six words:

Where the hell is Damn Yankees!?

PatrickMcCart 08-27-04 12:03 AM

I would like to see American Graffiti get a two disc release with a great transfer also.
The current DVD (and the double-feature) has A+ image quality (16x9), a perfect 2.0 stereo track, and a great making-of. It's a little grainy, but it's purely intentional since it's a Techniscope film shot at night for the most part.

joliom 08-27-04 01:48 PM

American Graffiti and To Kill a Mockingbird are Universal titles.

The African Queen, which is probably the biggest classic title I can think of that has not yet found its way to region 1 DVD, is a Fox title.

King Kong is already in the works and is planned to coincide with Peter Jackson's theatrical remake that comes out next year.

Edit: After re-reading Deco King's original post I realize that he wasn't strictly referring to Warner re-releases despite opening his post with a reference to them. My bad.

bboisvert 08-27-04 01:51 PM

Two Universal titles not yet mentioned that leap to mind:

Double Indemnity
This Island Earth

joliom 08-27-04 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
the current dirty harry dvd's have a documentary, 5.1 sound and good anamorphic transfters.
Yes, Dirty Harry is pretty loaded and Magnum Force & The Enforcer have enough to make them good buys, but Sudden Impact and The Dead Pool are bare-bones. I'd like Eastwood commentaries and docs for the last 2 films. You can never have too much Eastwood.

Originally posted by kingtopher
Aside from a commentary, I can't think of anything that could be included on a rerelease of the Wizard of Oz that isn't on the current edition. The available disc is packed with bonus features and looks and sounds great. I'm more than happy with it. I'd much prefer some time be spent with films that have poor releases or haven't been released yet.

For example, I'd really love for a lot of the early 30's gangster pictures to come out like Public Enemy, G-Men, Scarface (by itself), Little Caesar, etc.

I agree with you, but I still think they'll try to milk it for all it's worth with a 2-Disc Special Edition. I was speculating on what I think we will see in the future from Warner's 2-Disc SE line, not what my personal priorities are necessarily. If it was up to me, I'd say start with films that have not made it to region 1 DVD at all, or those that have real serious issues/flaws, and then go back and revisit stuff like The Wizard of Oz and L.A. Confidential that are pretty solid as is. But this has not strictly been their strategy. Enter the Dragon and My Fair Lady were rereleased as 2-Disc SE's despite having pretty loaded original releases.

clckworang 08-27-04 03:34 PM

Bringing Up Baby
Scarface (give the original a stand-alone release apart from a disc in the really expensive boxed set of the De Palma version)

JasonF 08-27-04 04:27 PM

Originally posted by clckworang
Bringing Up Baby
At the last HTF chat, Warners said they were working on this one.

:banana:

Walter Neff 08-27-04 08:52 PM

Originally posted by clckworang
Scarface (give the original a stand-alone release apart from a disc in the really expensive boxed set of the De Palma version)
I don't know if you have a Fry's Electronics near you, but they've been putting the boxed set on sale for $19.99 pretty regularly. Not terrible for the original film, and you can just consider the De Palma version and the trinkets "bonus materials."

JOE29 08-28-04 05:46 AM

Clint has to do High Plains Drifter. It's one of my favorites from him. I was very happy with The Good The Bad & The Ugly so the same treatment for High Plains Drifter would be excellent. You could even throw in Hang'em High also. Another of my favorites War of the Worlds could use better treatment too. Maybe with Cruise doing the remake something may happen there, I hope so.