Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Questions regarding Evil Dead Trilogy, I included UPC Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions regarding Evil Dead Trilogy, I included UPC Numbers

I want to make sure I am buying the right versions since there are so many to pick from.

My Main concern is Quality of the transfer, I could live without the extras.

And does anyone know if there is a box set being planned for R1?

Evil Dead, The : Ultimate Edition UPC : 013131190397

Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn (Restored) UPC : 013131118896

Army of Darkness: Evil Dead 3 UPC : 013131092691

Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Questions regarding Evil Dead Trilogy, I included UPC Numbers

Originally posted by DVD666
And does anyone know if there is a box set being planned for R1?
I believe it's generally chalked up as "impossible" due to rights issues. (Three different distributors.)

* Evil Dead, The : Ultimate Edition UPC : 013131190397

Debatable. This plus the Book of the Dead version (which has an extra doc, I think) are a great, supervised transfer, but some people object to it being matted to 1.85:1. There has also been minor tweaking of effects, apparently. If these things matter to you, the OOP Elite edition is unmatted fullscreen and untweaked.

Looks like that UPC is: 790594726522

* Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn (Restored) UPC : 013131118896

Yes.

* Army of Darkness: Evil Dead 3 UPC : 013131092691

I can't vouch for this one, I only have the director's cut. (There is no good transfer of the director's cut in America, I can tell you that.) But I think that, if all you want is the movie, this is the preferred version of the theatrical cut.
Old 08-25-04, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Can anyone else confirm the Version of Army of Darkness I'm choosing, I'm only concerned about having the best R1 transfer of what's available to purchase, I'm not shelling out the cash for anything OOP.
Old 08-25-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Boomstick Version and like it because it has both cuts on seperate discs.
Old 08-25-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah get the Boomstick Edition. In the future, you can just go here to compare DVDs.
Old 08-25-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by steebo777
Yeah get the Boomstick Edition. [/URL]
Note, though, that the Boomstick Edition has a notably bad transfer of the director's cut, with about fifteen minutes worth of footage transferred in from VHS or Beta or something.
Old 08-25-04, 10:19 AM

Ok but both the Broomstick Version and the version that I gave the UPC for are both released by Anchor Bay and are both in 16x9.

If I'm only interested in the best transfer quality, do I really need the Broomstick version, won't this one be enough?

Old 08-25-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok but both the Broomstick Version and the version that I gave the UPC for are both released by Anchor Bay and are both in 16x9.

If I'm only interested in the best transfer quality, do I really need the Broomstick version, won't this one be enough?

Well are you just intrested in seeing how good these films look (which is not that good) and not the films themselves? Or would you mind spending the extra 10 bucks to have the original theatrical version AND the directors cut (which is much better, imho), which I believe also has a hilarious commentary with Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi? And it's Boomstick Edition. Not Broomstick.
Old 08-25-04, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by CKMorpheus
Well are you just intrested in seeing how good these films look (which is not that good) and not the films themselves? Or would you mind spending the extra 10 bucks to have the original theatrical version AND the directors cut (which is much better, imho), which I believe also has a hilarious commentary with Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi? And it's Boomstick Edition. Not Broomstick.
Sorry for the typo.

Wouldn't this version be OK then? It is the Director's cut, does it include both the original scenes and the updated scenes?

Army Of Darkness: Official Bootleg Edition
Old 08-25-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry for the typo.

Wouldn't this version be OK then? It is the Director's cut, does it include both the original scenes and the updated scenes?

Army Of Darkness: Official Bootleg Edition
The Bootleg edition is just the Directors Cut.

There are three main editions of Army of Darkness out right now.

The theatrical cut.

The directors cut.

And the Boomstick Edition, which contains both the above DVDs.

The theatrical version has the better video quality. But the directors cut is the better cut of the film. To be fair, the quality on the directors cut is equal to the theatrical version except for the scenes they added back into the film. So it's pretty obvious when it's a new scene added in. That and, the alternate ending and the hilarious commentary definately make it worth it.
Old 08-25-04, 01:40 PM

If you have a region free dvdplayer, get the r3 version of Army of Darkness. It's the director's cut with much better quality than the Anchor Bay version, and it also has the alternate (S-Mart) ending as an extra.
Old 08-25-04, 05:50 PM
AOD

Originally posted by Yocke
If you have a region free dvdplayer, get the r3 version of Army of Darkness. It's the director's cut with much better quality than the Anchor Bay version, and it also has the alternate (S-Mart) ending as an extra.
Yes,
The R3 is visually superior to anything in R1. And as far a R1 goes, in addition to the pics CKMorpheus posted there is also the Universal release still currently out and a 2 disc and single disc L.E.'s that are OOP, but can be found on fleabay right now, for a grand total of 6 R1 releases. There are NUMEROUS threads on this very movie. Do a search and you will see. MORE INFO and yet EVEN MORE INFO

MGM R3

Universal R1

Anchor Bay single disc L.E. Directors cut

Anchor Bay 2 disc L.E.

Last edited by AOD; 08-25-04 at 05:56 PM.