Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

who has the biggest DVD collection? [hehe]

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks guys!

*insert [hehe] here* :P

Can anyone provide a link to any of Austin's pictures? i searched and cant find them either.
Old 08-23-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by whateverdude
thanks guys!

*insert [hehe] here* :P

Can anyone provide a link to any of Austin's pictures? i searched and cant find them either.
Pics of Austin's Collection

Bookmark it.
Old 08-23-04, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Dabaomb
Pics of Austin's Collection

Bookmark it.
All I can say is, holy crap..
Old 08-23-04, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Austin54
I do not have a online listing. When I started to collect, there was no Internet ... Austin
blimey : no wonder he has so many - hes been collecting dvds since before WW2!!!
Old 08-23-04, 03:41 PM

You realize that those pictures are only about two thirds of the collection. There is more down the one "wing" of the basement.
I don't think people realize that I had been collecting for around 7 years before any of those online movie databases were set up.
It is simply too much work to transfer all of my lists from the paper listings to the databases. Besides much of the information is in my head.
By the way, I am weeding the collection and about 400 titles will be listing in the next few weeks. (many VHS however).
One of these days I will have to post a picture of the CC pile. No I do not own Salo
Austin
Old 08-23-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I have about 315 DVD's. My point is that I don't keep movies that I don't like or that I only think i'll watch only once ( the re-watch factor applies here for me ) and then have them sit on the shelf for the rest of my life. I usually trade in or sell the ones I want to get rid of and use that money to buy other titles, that also keeps my collection total down. I could of had double of what I have now ( which is in no comparison to alot of other peoples collections ) but I just won't keep titles that i'll never watch again around.
Old 08-23-04, 04:55 PM

I just viewed the photos of Austins collection, its a great collection but one thing I like about my collections of DVD's or toys or whatever is that I have everything neatly placed in a room in my house and once in awhile when people come over and they get to view things almost like a museum of sorts and its fun for them and me. Having stacks upon stacks of movies and DVD's in your garage isnt quite the collection I would want? I am happy with my modest collection of DVD's (just under 300) all on one bookshelf, give or take.
Old 08-23-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

fucing awesome..... 5,000 DVDs... man, fucking awesome
Old 08-23-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Austin has so many dvds, he'd probably just have to buy his dvds their own place, I mean what kind of system could store over 5,000 dvds?

thats the most massive dvd rack I've seen......its 8 feet wide, nearly 6 feet tall....and holds 1,008 dvds. He'd have to buy 5 of those just the accomodate his collection now, which I assume is constantly growing.

wow, something to think about.......Austin did you ever get into laserdiscs?
Old 08-23-04, 06:24 PM
Banned

quality over quantity
Old 08-23-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Austin, that isn't a collection, it's a stockpile. Seriously, how can you access them? What if you wanted to watch one on the bottom of the stack? And I'd bet my life many of those are getting damaged sitting the way they are.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather have a nicely displayed, organized, and accessible collection of a few hundred DVDs than a disorganized rummage pile.

EDIT: Hey, I just realized you're that guy who started this thread back a long time ago. Good to see you were telling the truth (I was one of the few who believed you).

Still though, get some freaking shelves.
Old 08-23-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
quality over quantity
quality AND quantity
Old 08-23-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being a movie fan. Isn't that the point of owning any at all?
or you can be a fan of the boxes- because with that many discs, and the fact you're adding to it every week, you don't really have time to appreciate the actual movies.

but you can always pull out the boxes and admire them that only takes a few minutes
Old 08-23-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Island007 you beat me to it... Quality AND Quantity is a great thing.

I'm just about to go over 1000 DVD's and I love them all. I am trying for the 'library' approach. I want to be able to watch any movie I want to at any time. The same for my guests. I also love to lend my movies out to friends when I want to.

For those that like a trim collection, thats great, but having all of these DVD's really tickles my fancy.

I also agree that having all of those DVD's smashed and stacked together like that would drive me nuts. I would have them shelved and displayed in a matter of days...
Old 08-23-04, 08:45 PM

Austin I'd love to see all those displayed on 2 gigantic wall-sized shelves! Don't sell any of them - you're the king baby!!
Old 08-23-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by emhello
Don't sell any of them - you're the king baby!!

Hail to the king baby.
Old 08-24-04, 01:26 AM

All I have to say is, who cares about cultivating Mars for human life. I think the red planet would be the perfect place for your collection of collections. Let's propel your dvds up there right now, I'll go grab one of my spare space shuttles.

Old 08-24-04, 06:38 AM
Banned

Originally posted by island007
quality AND quantity
thats not possible...because if someone owns 5,000 DVD's...at least half of them are utter crap...and the person has no taste...he/she just buys everything...thats not being a movie fan...
Old 08-24-04, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Austin gets points for having such a big collection. However, he loses many for having them in such a mess. The desire to go to his house and fix that mess is strong. I can't stand to see anything, least of all DVDs, in such a state.
Old 08-24-04, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by demonio
I think Austin has so many dvds, he'd probably just have to buy his dvds their own place, I mean what kind of system could store over 5,000 dvds?
Can-Am is the answer. Here's storage for 3240 DVDs:

Just add a couple more stacks and that'd do it.
Old 08-24-04, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Can-Am is the answer...

Just add a couple more stacks and that'd do it.

yep... can-am is a beautiful thing... expensive, but beautiful
Old 08-24-04, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
thats not possible...because if someone owns 5,000 DVD's...at least half of them are utter crap...and the person has no taste...he/she just buys everything...thats not being a movie fan...
See... here is where the logic falls apart. You're claiming that YOUR taste is perfect and thereby everyone must keep the same opinion as you. What is "crap" to you.... may be a treasured childhood memory to someone else.... or the movie they saw on their first date with their spouse.... anything! Hell, I've seen people on this board call some of the greatest movies I've ever seen "crap". Just because YOU don't like a certain movie means absolutely NOTHING to ANYONE else.... and implying otherwise and insulting other peoples' taste (as you have been doing repeatedly in this thread and others) is arrogant and rude.
Old 08-24-04, 09:03 AM

First, I am in the middle of reorganizing the collection. Some of the mess you see will disappear in a few months. I am planning to put the material in alphabetical order. With this size collection it takes time especially with my weekly collapse.
Those shelves are fine, but they do not take VHS which is the majority of my collection. Most of the boxes in the garage are VHS.
As far as taste, most of the movies are classics. If you could see the titles I think you would agree. In the past few days I have seen Stagecoach (1939) and Caine Mutiny. I also have a fairly large collection of CC.
As for bad movies, I do have a large number, but every so often there is a gem buried in the pile.
I like the Mars idea, but I am not sure the collection would fit.
By the way, I also collect books. That collection is just as large as the book collection. I have horror and sf pulp magazines going back to the 20s.
Austin
Old 08-24-04, 09:44 AM

Austin,

Make a mere mortal happy and post a pic of your Crterions please
Old 08-24-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pdjennings
See... here is where the logic falls apart. You're claiming that YOUR taste is perfect and thereby everyone must keep the same opinion as you. What is "crap" to you.... may be a treasured childhood memory to someone else.... or the movie they saw on their first date with their spouse.... anything! Hell, I've seen people on this board call some of the greatest movies I've ever seen "crap". Just because YOU don't like a certain movie means absolutely NOTHING to ANYONE else.... and implying otherwise and insulting other peoples' taste (as you have been doing repeatedly in this thread and others) is arrogant and rude.
Yep.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.