Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

SE DVD's of Joel Schumacher's Batman movies?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

SE DVD's of Joel Schumacher's Batman movies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-04, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TheEccentric

Batman Forever [7/10], and especially Batman & Robin [8/10], are entertaining, action-filled movies. While Tim Burton made his Batman dark and gloomy, Joel Schumacher's made his similar to the 60's television series, and with James Bond-type action.
But Batman was never supposed to be like the 60's show though. When Bob Kane started writing Batman he was a dark avenger. It was only later he was reformed and made into a kids comic. Frank Miller brought him back on track.
Old 08-22-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Bear in mind that, in the late 1930s, almost every comics character was written as a "dark avenger". This was a continuation from their pulp fiction roots.

Batman spent the majority of the 40s, 50s, and 60s as a goofy crimefighter, beating up colorful villains on top of giant typewriters.

Also bear in mind that Bob Kane had very little to do with Batman's development. The real creators of Batman are Dick Sprang and Bill Finger. While Kane created the character, Sprang and Finger really made Batman the character recognizable by almost anybody today.
Old 08-22-04, 09:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Does anyone know how much was cut from SUPERMAN IV as it seems like parts of the story are missing?
Old 08-22-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TheEccentric
Hey, hey, hey!

I know I'm not one of the few, but I thought all 4 of the Batman series were great entertainment. I do not think Joel Schumacher did a bad job at his Batman movies, and do not think he deserves the bad rep he got for them.

Batman Forever [7/10], and especially Batman & Robin [8/10], are entertaining, action-filled movies. While Tim Burton made his Batman dark and gloomy, Joel Schumacher's made his similar to the 60's television series, and with James Bond-type action.

Let me tell you something, after rewatching Batman & Robin a few times, and trying to see why people consider it to be so bad; I just do not think that movie can be considered anywhere near the worst movie of all time, compared to the painfully unfunny comedies there are [Malibu's Most Wanted] and pointless horror movies there are [Halloween Resurectin], B&R does not need to have the bad rep it has. I thought the movie was fun, cool to look at, Uma Thurman was perfect as Poison Ivy, and she gave a sizzling performance, George Clooney is believable as Bruce Wayne, and this was Michael Gough's Alfred's best part. This movie defintently should be re-watched.

So, what about SE's for these 2?
Are you handicap?

That was unnecessary. And it should've been handicapped. - Static
Old 08-22-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Bear in mind that, in the late 1930s, almost every comics character was written as a "dark avenger". This was a continuation from their pulp fiction roots.

Batman spent the majority of the 40s, 50s, and 60s as a goofy crimefighter, beating up colorful villains on top of giant typewriters.

Also bear in mind that Bob Kane had very little to do with Batman's development. The real creators of Batman are Dick Sprang and Bill Finger. While Kane created the character, Sprang and Finger really made Batman the character recognizable by almost anybody today.
Matt speaketh the truth.
if anything, at the time the tv show was made, it was more consistently sophisticated than the vast majority of Batmans back issue adventures.
hell, even many of the 'new look' stories coming out around the same time as the show were silly and slight.
the tv show was/remains a very iconoclastic, affectionate tribute to its source material.
right down to the giant typewriters.
Old 08-22-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I've always said this - if you want to see the character and the city as it should be, the WB animated series is the most true to form.
Old 08-23-04, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by bballing
Are you handicap?
Maybe I would just like to see SE's of these 2 movies.
Old 08-23-04, 08:33 PM

I'd be up for an SE of the first 3 films but Batman & Robin really pushed the limits of my tolerance... I was able to formulate the following:

The suck factor of the Batman films is directly proportional to the number of sidekicks and inversely proportional to the cumulative number of times Alfred reveals Bruce Wayne's secret identity.
Old 08-23-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My computer has been down for a while...can someone send me a link that states we are getting SE's of the first two Batman movies? This is great news!!!!
Old 08-23-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, this thread zoomed off track fast... and nary a mention of Michael Moore!
Old 08-23-04, 09:59 PM

I'd buy a box set full of Bat-SEs. And make them all two discs, thanks.

JiM T
Old 08-23-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'm not going to say anything about that until I see Schumacher's original cut of Forever.

Also I wouldn't blame Schumacher (see, at least I can spell his name) on the basis of both films sucks. I'd also blame Avika, the cast, the studio, and so on and so on. Hell, I'll even blame Burton for leaving the franchise.

Wow, not to crap on the crapper, but if you're going to correct someone on their spelling of a name, be sure you've checked your spelling... (Avika?)

Burton's films were a different style. The other two films had too much going on in them. If you want true Batman, check out the Animated Series (and the PERFECT "Mask of the Phantasm" animated motion picture). Those are better than even Burton, and keep the true spirit of Batman intact.
Old 08-24-04, 02:17 AM

I hope they decide to release the Batman movies with a "Tim Burton SE 2-pack with Batman and Batman Returns) and a "Schumacher SE 2-pack with Batman Forever and Batman and Robin). I really don't want to keep the first 3 (Batman Forever was okay) and have to use the 4th as an expensive coaster/frisbee.

We'll probably never see it because Warner knows the only way they'll be able to sell Batman and Robin is to include it with the other 3.

Last edited by GuyverX; 08-24-04 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-24-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually liked Batman Forever but Batman & Robin was an abomination. (the only thing I liked about it was Alfred) Maybee the Special Edition of Batman & Robin will have the footage of all the years of training Batgirl went through to be Batman's equal in combat.
Old 08-24-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So are the SE's of the first two films definitely coming out? If so, when?
Old 08-24-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Warner said when the new Batman movie comes out in 2005.
Old 08-24-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've read from several sources that Burton has definitely recorded the commentary for at least the first one.

WHV will release (these) to tie in with the new movie next summer.

BF is still a swing and a miss as far as i'm concerned, but i would definitely be up to see what the original or extended cut of the film was like-
right now, its the only live action batman film i own (although its hanging on in my collection by a very thin thread) if Wal-mart hadn't had it for $7 i don't think i would own it.
Old 08-24-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hell, I'll even blame Burton for leaving the franchise.
Didn't he co-produce 'Batman Forever'? Granted I doubt he did much to earn it, but I do think that, if he's gonna take the producer credit (or exec, or whatever), he deserves a share of the blame.
Old 08-24-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Didn't he co-produce 'Batman Forever'? Granted I doubt he did much to earn it, but I do think that, if he's gonna take the producer credit (or exec, or whatever), he deserves a share of the blame.
He did indeed.

I wonder how much he actually had to do with the film, though. Kinda like how Edward Zwick had eventually nought to do with the making of Shakespeare In Love, a film he was planning to adapt. He got a producer's credit out of it.

And an Oscar!
Old 08-24-04, 12:39 PM
Retired

Supposedly, the Batman Forever DVD will include Joel Schumacher's original (and much darker) edit which ran almost two and a half hours.
I'd love to see this, as Forever is my favorite of the batman flicks.
Old 08-24-04, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Flynn
If you want true Batman, check out the Animated Series (and the PERFECT "Mask of the Phantasm" animated motion picture). Those are better than even Burton, and keep the true spirit of Batman intact.
i just had a look around and there si quite a lot of animated batman on DVD.
Does anyone know what the "batman beyond" episodes are like?
and is the "dark knight" animated series on DVD?
Old 08-24-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Cameron
i hope it has a slipcover with nipples on it
Old 08-24-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by whateverdude
i just had a look around and there si quite a lot of animated batman on DVD.
Does anyone know what the "batman beyond" episodes are like?
and is the "dark knight" animated series on DVD?
No idea what the "dark knight" animated series is, but i personally loved Batman Beyond, especially the Return of the Joker film.
Old 08-24-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I say do a Matrix like set with new 16x9 transfers (the one for BF sucked), DD 5.1 EX and DTS (I'm dreaming, but I can hope), commentaries, isolated scores, documentaries, deleted scenes, Sean Young from original footage, music videos, outtakes, and trailers up the wazoo.
Old 08-24-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bah! I hope it's not a box set. The first 2 are the only good ones.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.