DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TOP GUN SE info. Looks to be awesome

Old 08-21-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

6 documentaries on the making of the film and its cultural impact

Awesome. I always wanted to know about the cultural impact Top Gun had on us...but not just us....the world. The universe.
Old 08-21-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gotta love Paramount supporting DTS while others don't *hint hint*
It's great that Paramount is giving this movie the DTS treatment but they are among the worst supporters of the audio format. This is only their fourth(?) DTS track and their first ever 6.1ES track. Pretty much every other studio outdoes them in this regard.
Old 08-21-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't wait to pick this one up!
Old 08-21-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Would have wanted the VH-1 Behind the Movie docu on it but shit, with DTS and 6 documentaries, this is a no-brainer.
Old 08-22-04, 12:38 AM

No Goose commentary, no sale!

Old 08-22-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Cultural impact?" It better have Tarantino...

What's a film about, what's it really about? What genre does it take?

[Duane: What, like the spine? Like one sentence?]

No, I don't, fucking boy meets girl, I don't give a shit about that. Fuck boy meets girl, fuck motorcycle movie. No, what is really being said? What's really being said, that's what you're talking about. 'Cause the whole idea, man, is subversion. You want subversion on a massive level. You know what one of the greatest fucking scripts ever written in the history of Hollywood is? Top Gun.

[Duane: Oh, come on.]

Top Gun is fucking great. What is Top Gun? You think it's a story about a bunch of fighter pilots. [Duane: It's about a bunch of guys waving their dicks around.] It is a story about a man's struggle with his own homosexuality. It is! That is what Top Gun is about, man.

You've got Maverick, all right? He's on the edge, man. He's right on the fucking line, all right? And you've got Iceman, and all his crew. They're gay, they represent the gay man, all right? And they're saying, go, go the gay way, go the gay way. He could go both ways.

[Duane: What about Kelly McGillis?]

Kelly McGillis, she's heterosexuality. She's saying: no, no, no, no, no, no, go the normal way, play by the rules, go the normal way. They're saying no, go the gay way, be the gay way, go for the gay way, all right? That is what's going on throughout that whole movie...

He goes to her house, all right? It looks like they're going to have sex, you know, they're just kind of sitting back, he's takin' a shower and everything. They don't have sex. He gets on the motorcycle, drives away. She's like, "What the fuck, what the fuck is going on here?" Next scene, next scene you see her, she's in the elevator, she is dressed like a guy. She's got the cap on, she's got the aviator glasses, she's wearing the same jacket that the Iceman wears. She is, okay, this is how I gotta get this guy, this guy's going towards the gay way, I gotta bring him back, I gotta bring him back from the gay way, so I'm do that through subterfuge, I'm gonna dress like a man. All right? That is how she approaches it.

Okay, now let me just ask you--I'm gonna digress for two seconds here. I met this girl Amy here, she's like floating around here and everything. Now, she just got divorced, right?...

All right, but the REAL ending of the movie is when they fight the MIGs at the end, all right? Because he has passed over into the gay way. They are this gay fighting fucking force, all right? And they're beating the Russians, the gays are beating the Russians. And it's over, and they fucking land, and Iceman's been trying to get Maverick the entire time, and finally, he's got him, all right? And what is the last fucking line that they have together? They're all hugging and kissing and happy with each other, and Ice comes up to Maverick, and he says, "Man, you can ride my tail, anytime!" And what does Maverick say? "You can ride mine!" Swordfight! Swordfight! Fuckin' A, man!
Old 08-22-04, 01:37 AM
Premium Member

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
"Cultural impact?" It better have Tarantino...
Tarantino does seem to be an expert on teh gay...
Old 08-22-04, 01:39 AM

The real question is will it have the Pepsi commercial from the original VHS release?
Old 08-22-04, 03:08 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in
Old 08-22-04, 03:14 AM
Suspended

Warning: potty humor
Old 08-22-04, 04:31 PM

If the disc is 2.35 as the current specifications state, techinically you'll have less picture information, but 2.35 is the OAR.

fitprod
Old 08-22-04, 06:05 PM

Looks Awsome!!!
Old 08-23-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still have not bought this and I know why. Christmas came early.
Old 08-23-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Originally posted by fitprod
Let me preface this by saying I really enjoy Top Gun, but here's the reality...

Most over-rated surround sound track on VHS.

Most over-rated PCM surround sound track on Laserdisc.

Most over-rated Dobly Digital track on Laserdisc. (I assume the original DVD uses the same mix...) There was an over-loaded LFE track, and maybe 2 split surround effects when jets zipped by. Otherwise, it was pretty much a nicely split stereo mix for the music.

Unless there is some major re-tooling of the soundtrack, this will become the most over-rated DD EX and DTS ES soundtrack in the history of DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray or whatever comes down the pipe.

Hopefully this disc will have the original 2.35 aspect ratio, and not the 2.0 aspect ratio that was on the previous widescreen LD.

I'm really looking forward to the supplements. Too bad the couldn't come up with some new Tom Cruise interviews, but it not that surprising.

fitprod
Jeez, man, at least get the toilet paper home from the store before you wipe with it.
Old 08-23-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 08-31-04, 02:52 AM

For what it's worth, DVDFile.com reported Monday that "Retail will cost you $29.95" for this 2-disc set. I haven't seen any other site report this, but DVDFile is usually reliable.

All online stores still have it listed at $19.99, so who knows?
Old 08-31-04, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds about right for 2 disc sets. The $29.95 price is MSRP and very very few places would actually sell it at that price.
Old 08-31-04, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why the hell are they not using the original artwork?

I was holding off on pre-ordering this but if it is correct that it is a 29.99 MSRP, the online stores have it wrong now?
Old 08-31-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chanster
Why the hell are they not using the original artwork?
Didn't they use that for the bare bones edition?
Old 08-31-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes they did

But this new version is a bad floating head, and even worse just taken from the original art.
Old 08-31-04, 10:16 AM
Banned

The music videos should be funny to watch.
Old 08-31-04, 10:25 AM

TomOpus, I meant to say that the online stores are using an MSRP of $19.99, and are discounting the DVD to $12-14. If the DVD is indeed $29.95 MSRP, they might not want to honor orders based on this "misprice." But like I said, who knows? DVDFile is alone in reporting the higher list price, and could very well be wrong.

Last edited by ASAPadam; 08-31-04 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-31-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Top Gun for cheap

I was just looking at DVDSoon ( I know charge right away for preoreders blah blah blah) But anyway the have this for $13.98 CAN which is $10.60 US

Oh and here is the link: http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-de...xml?uid=123160
Old 08-31-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like how Paramount generally sticks to the poster art for their DVDs, even for special editions.
Old 08-31-04, 10:00 PM
Banned

Wonder if they'll re-insert the quickie Goose, Maverick and Slider 3-way scene following the homoerotic volleyball match.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.