Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Clownhouse dvd?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PuddinTane
This is a prime example of how wild rumors start.
Your post is a better example. Wild rumors start when people read speculation and questions wrong, to wit:

You've got a poster who says MGM didn't make any new DVD's for the August 24 release date.
That's not true, he said that they quote "will not be releasing it anymore." The follow-up post was the one in which somebody assumed that this meant that the Aug 24 release date was for leftover stock.

Then somebody jumps to the conclusion that there's a recall. How the heck does that mean there's a recall? No one has claimed to have any inside knowledge of a recall.
Again, look back. I was the one who used the word recall. In what context? Let's see:
"do you mean that the MGM disc which was scheduled is being recalled?"

Then, as if that weren't enough to be postively *not* jumping to the conclusion, I further clarified that it wouldn't, technically, be a recall if it were before the release date.

As you can see, nobody has jumped to any conclusions about a recall. There are still questions open, namely:
- Were there any new discs made for the new release prior to its alleged cancellation?
- Is the release actually cancelled/recalled/etc.?

The fact is, Sunday Morning didn't answer questions addressed to him to clarify certain things, but I hardly think that asking those questions (to get clarification) is the same thing as jumping to conclusions.

There is, supposedly, no DVD to recall.
No, nobody has said the disc doesn't exist. Unless you're attempting to correct my use of "recall", in which case I'd point out that I myself qualified it by saying "It wouldn't technically be a recall" because it's pre-release, which seems to be what you mean.

A recall requires NOTIFYING parts of the distribution chain that the DVD is to be sent back. It's not something they do with brain waves. It's done with telephone calls, e-mail, letters, etc. Things that are evidence of a recall. Things that people see at work and then come home and post on the web.
All valid points, all could be taken as valid evidence that the release is proceeding on schedule.

On the other hand, I went to DVD pricesearch.com, and none of the sites they had linked as carrying the title actually did (Amazon still has the old version listed, no new release date on it).
Old 08-23-04, 04:05 PM
Banned

Why is this DVD so hard to get? Doesn't look like it would be based on the web pages that were posted in this thread?
Old 08-23-04, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by issues
I picked it up for 20 bucks but here is a online store that has it.

http://spam.com/
Originally posted by issues
They have in-stock for 14.99
Is this a good price for this . . . . ?
Old 08-23-04, 06:57 PM

Yeah i paid 20 for it.
Old 08-23-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have seen the DVD and the only fact i know for this DVD is that the audio is screwed up, i dont know why everyone is so interested in tracking down a screwed up DVD, at any price. i guess it will be a showoff piece.
Old 08-23-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
is this movie any good?
Old 08-23-04, 08:17 PM

Yeah it's a decent horror/suspense flick. I'll wait for a re-release though before tracking down a sub-par version that is OOP.
Old 08-24-04, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by scarredgod
i have seen the DVD and the only fact i know for this DVD is that the audio is screwed up, i dont know why everyone is so interested in tracking down a screwed up DVD, at any price. i guess it will be a showoff piece.
Well i watched it and audio was fine. Stop buying ebay bootlegs and you will not have that problem.
Old 08-24-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I was looking at Amazon marketplace and neatly tucked between a few $16.99-$17.99 etc prices was a copy for $994 FULLY GUARANTEED***Not a copy or import*** , :0

I would hope it is guaranteed not to be a copy or import. Why not just ask for a gazillon jabillion dollars ? lol.
Old 08-24-04, 08:57 AM

I have also heard that the dialogue is barely in sync with the actors, like it was a bad dub job. This could be a problem with the original film I guess and not the dvd.
Old 08-24-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
I have the old laserdisc and the audio isn't out of sync on it (bought it used out of morbid curiosity.)
Old 08-25-04, 02:07 PM

Ordered it for $14.99 from the website that apparantly we're not allowed to mention(in that it got erased from previous posts), they say it shipped. Guess we'll see.
Old 08-28-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bluesparrow
Ordered it for $14.99 from the website that apparantly we're not allowed to mention(in that it got erased from previous posts), they say it shipped. Guess we'll see.
I ordered from the same website (why wouldn't we be able to mention it? oh!, I see, because the parser changes it to spam.com -- well, suffice to say that Batman might shop there) and got it in 4 days. It's new and sealed and I didn't notice any audio sync issues and the video is fine for what it is -- the movie spends a lot of time in the dark, but I didn't see any graininess or "stuff" you might expect from a 1988 movie -- anamorphic 1.85:1, though....

Spoiler:
Too many 10-14 year old boys running around in their tighty-whiteys, so if you're sensitive to that sort of thing, this movie is a bit high on the "ewww..." scale. Maybe it's knowing the history of this film, but the underwear scenes just didn't seem integral to the story and were unnecessary. In addition, I think I counted 6 or 7 references to penises in the first 15 minutes of the movie. Other than that stuff, not a bad film -- the story is a little stupid, but not bad.

Last edited by SMB-IL; 08-28-04 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-28-04, 01:54 PM
Suspended

I finally tracked down a copy for my friend, and - and yeah the DVD has no audio problems, anyone who mentions it, must have a bootleg, which i'm sure Ebay was full of after the first recall, and these things topping the $100 mark everytime out.
Old 08-28-04, 08:28 PM

smb-il,

got mine from the un-nameable store really quickly....ordered it monday night, received it in thursday's mail. About as quick as amazon usually is.

I agree with your assessments of the dvd(and film) and I'd say the worst part for me was the Salva-ish elements you mentioned in the blackened part of your message. Also the score was fairly awful. The film was rather entertainin otherwise though, and I'm sure if I'd seen it as a kid it'd have terrified me.

I can't see spending more than the $15 I did on it, it's no classic. But an above average horror film and good for that price.
Old 08-28-04, 09:38 PM

Glad the site worked for you guys.
Old 02-07-16, 03:50 PM

Re: Clownhouse dvd?

These days on eBay I see a German edition as well as an apparently authorized MOD (Manufactured on Demand) overseas edition. Does anyone have any info on these? I'm wondering if they are official releases (I especially have my doubts about the DVD-R edition, I don't think they were even making MODs back then). Also wondering how is the image and audio quality.

Here are 2 examples. I'm not allowed to post URLs, but you can exchange the "*" for "."
www*ebay*com/itm/CLOWNHOUSE-CLOWN-HOUSE-Victor-Salva-Sam-Rockwell-NEW-SEALED-REGION-2-DVD-/111823694946

www*ebay*com/itm/Clownhouse-DVD-Brand-New-MGM-By-Victor-Salva-/281925726217
Old 02-08-16, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any Clownhouse DVD from Germany is a bootleg.
Old 02-08-16, 05:23 PM

Thank you. I was thinking the same, especially since after a little digging it looks like it doesn't even have a UPC/EAN.

www*freecovers*net/preview/0/281ea985eb8ab56d3d074a7063e37282/big.jpg