Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

So what's the latest on Kill Bill Vol 1/2 Special Editions?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, like many, am holding out on the current releases of Kill Bil Volumes 1 and 2 for the inevitable special edition director cut whatever editions. Are these coming out before Christmas? Any details at all?

Sorry if this has been discussed, been gone for a while
Old 08-19-04, 12:27 PM

Its been discussed many times before...but there hasn't been any word, and I doubt there will be for awhile. Miramax probably wants to get the most they can get out of the first releases before telling the public about the new ones. But I hope it is by Christmas
Old 08-19-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Don't hold your breath for a DVD release before Christmas. There would more than likely be a limited theatrical release first, and no date for that has even been announced yet.
Old 08-19-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QT already stated he wanted to do a limited theater run for the edited together piece before a dvd was to hit.

Not going to happen before christmas this year. I would look for an early summer theater run and november release date for dvd.

No announcement has been made but that is the latest speculations.
Old 08-19-04, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I would look for an early summer theater run
I don't know. QT has been recently saying that he hopes that by splitting the film into 2 parts that he hasn't hurt Uma's chances for an oscar nomination (and, on a side note, even though she's great in the films, I don't know that her performance is best actress material). So I wouldn't doubt that he might cut the two together and try to get a theatrical run before the end of the year so that the two films, as one, are fresh in the minds of people come oscar time (or at least the advertising for the run).
Old 08-19-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
You know, I loved "Kill Bill," but I'm really sick of watching Miramax trying to squeeze every fricking penny they can out of it.
Old 08-20-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
So is the game plan still the same:

Kill Bill Vol. 1 - Bare Bones
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - Bare Bones

Kill Bill Vol. 1 - Special Edition
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - Special Edition

Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair

Or has it been narrowed down to just the two current releases and a future Bloody Affair release?

Andrew
Old 08-20-04, 12:41 AM

On DVD? Absolutely no word at all. Tarantino said he wanted to show Vol. 1+2 in arthouse engagments first...and then maybe a wider release. I don't think they'll be doing that anytime soon. We'll probably see the special editions on DVD sometime late next year at the earliest.
Old 08-20-04, 02:33 AM

i'm sure it'll be a long long time.
Old 08-20-04, 07:21 AM

I love QT's work but this man just spits bullsh*t everytime he talks. I remember an article before stating he wanted to do Kill Bill editions like the American Pie style Beneath the Crust editions. I never know when he is saying something legitimate.
Old 08-20-04, 08:24 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
My guess is mid-2005.
Old 08-20-04, 10:33 AM

Damn, there is no way I'm buying these bare bones editions....
Old 08-20-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well then, enjoy the wait...

I don't really "get" the resistance here with Kill Bill... For... What? Was it ~ $15.99 each for both discs on release date? Plus, Best Buy tossed in the free case... So, you figure that if you watch each film several times in the next year or so while you're waiting, then trade or sell em' to "upgrade", aren't you pretty much breaking even?

And in the end, it's really about the film... Now, to a degree, I can understand not wanting to buy the US releases when the Japanese version is a different cut of the film, but to boycott on the principle of extras or lack of? Eh... To each their own.
Old 08-20-04, 03:37 PM

1. There is no way I'm buying the cut black and white version of Vol. 1, so buying the Japanese version would set me back something like $35.

2. The case isn't avaliable anywhere else than in some parts of the US, if you don't want to pay ridiculous prices for it on ebay.

3. There are no special features worth mentioning besides the deleted scene that will make these dvds worth owning once the special edition(s) are released.

I'm waiting.
Old 08-20-04, 04:17 PM
Banned

I'm waiting too. And I don't care how long. They'll come out whenever they come out. Since I didn't see them in the theater, I have nothing to build up my suspense in waiting, so another 6 months to a year is no big deal. I'll take the definitive version of these films whenever they're released.
Old 08-20-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm just going to enjoy the bare bones releases until next year(or the year after, whenever) when the final Super-Deluxe edition finally hits store shelves. I fully expect to see at least 3 or more versions of this before the final edition, but I can wait. I'm just tired of feeling suckered out of money by movie studios, and I plan on waiting for now.
Old 08-20-04, 05:02 PM

Maybe if QT or Miramax didn't brag about releasing 10 different editions of Kill Bill I would've bought the bare bones editions. It's that cockiness and greed that turned me off completely. At least keep your mouth shut as a movie studio when you blatantly try to rip off your consumers.
Old 08-20-04, 05:05 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm waiting as well. At least he's given us the notice, now a lot of us won't have to double dip.
Old 08-20-04, 05:32 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Well then, enjoy the wait...

I don't really "get" the resistance here with Kill Bill... For... What? Was it ~ $15.99 each for both discs on release date? Plus, Best Buy tossed in the free case... So, you figure that if you watch each film several times in the next year or so while you're waiting, then trade or sell em' to "upgrade", aren't you pretty much breaking even?

And in the end, it's really about the film... Now, to a degree, I can understand not wanting to buy the US releases when the Japanese version is a different cut of the film, but to boycott on the principle of extras or lack of? Eh... To each their own.
I'm only a casual fan of the films, so I don't mind waiting for the best version. Trading/selling the old version is a big hassle IMO. I just hate double dipping, I'm a pretty casual movie fan (by this sites standards anyway) so unless it's something I truly love I"ll just wait for the best version. Hell, I've waited on the EEs of the LOTR movies and they're among my all time favorite. I just see no reason to buy things twice when I can just wait a while longer.
Old 08-20-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I wouldn't consider it double dipping.

No one knows what the Special re-edited together edition will have or how it will hold up. You may personally not like it opposed to the two editions out right now.

It's a tough call but at the price they were at.. There's really no excuse NOT to buy the ones out there now and enjoy them.