Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new dvd release of Three Kings

Per this morninng's NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/16/movies/16warn.html

Will include new documentary
Old 08-16-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
An underrated film (even if it is a takeoff of Kelly's Heroes), and one of the first times that I began to respect George Clooney. Held off on this relatively cheap disc a couple of times, and now I know why!

Anybody care to repost the article (since you need to create an account)?
Old 08-16-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

'Three Kings' Director Plans Documentary on Iraq War
By SHARON WAXMAN

Published: August 16, 2004

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 15 - Joining in Hollywood's latest penchant for political documentaries, the filmmaker David O. Russell is completing a documentary about the Iraqi war that is to be shown ahead of his 1999 movie "Three Kings" during a theatrical rerelease planned for the fall.

Warner Brothers is financing the $180,000 project, which involves interviewing Iraqi refugees who acted as extras in "Three Kings," the caper about the 1991 Persian Gulf War (starring George Clooney), and American veterans of the current war in Iraq.

"It will look at both sides of the war, people who feel good about the war, who believe in the mission, people who feel bad," said Mr. Russell, speaking at the Santa Monica editing room where editors are working in 24-hour shifts to complete the film before the November election.

The rerelease of "Three Kings'' is planned as part of a promotion for a new DVD of the film, which will also include a longer version of the documentary. Juan Carlos Zaldivar and Tricia Regan are co-directors of it with Mr. Russell.

Mr. Russell said the documentary had a political purpose, but only in the sense of trying to inform people about a major electoral issue. "I thought I could perhaps make a difference before the election, let people see the situation, how Iraqis wanted to get rid of Saddam, but also show what war does to people," he said. "When I talk to veterans, they have a chance to cry. It's traumatic; it tears you up to see people shot, and then you're supposed to come home and just blend back into the community? The Army doesn't want to acknowledge the human cost of the war machine."

Mr. Russell said he had been pushing Warner Brothers to rerelease "Three Kings," which had only moderate success at the box office in 1999, but which has received belated acclaim for its prescient depiction of the moral dilemmas of the war in Iraq.

"People would keep saying to me, ' "Three Kings" is so timely,' so I thought it would be interesting to re-release it, and to check in with the people who pertained to the movie literally, or in some relative way," he said.

The movie, a dark comedy also starring Mark Wahlberg and Ice Cube, is about a group of soldiers who sneak off at the end of the 1991 gulf war to find gold bullion hidden by Saddam Hussein. Along the way they encounter Shiite rebels and refugees fleeing Mr. Hussein's wrath, whom they have strict orders to ignore. Eventually the soldiers abandon their quest for the gold to help the refugees escape the country.

The fictional story turned out to have many parallels and connections to the current conflict, even the theft. The filmmakers have tracked down and interviewed soldiers who were caught trying to steal millions of dollars from a Baath Party cache of some $700 million in United States bills found in Baghdad last spring.

One of the soldiers accused of the theft was nicknamed "Clooney" by his friends. In the documentary interview, former Sgt. Matt Novak emotionally described the culture of greed and confiscation that he said characterized the entire present war. Mr. Novak, who was drummed out of the Army, has also told his story in The Los Angeles Times.

He said he was commonly asked to take cars, DVD and video players, computers and other valuables from Iraqi civilians for military use. He described finding warehouses filled with expensive watches or clothing much like what Mr. Russell depicted in "Three Kings" but also rooms filled with marijuana and cocaine.

Mr. Russell said that he opposed the current war, but that some part of him wanted to believe the larger effort of establishing democracy there could be achieved.

"Twenty percent of me takes it seriously and thinks this might possibly be what they need," he said, referring to Iraqis. "In some ways it's too soon to tell. We need 50 years to see."
Old 08-16-04, 12:11 PM

I might consider double dipping on this one if the extra features are worthwhile (and to get rid of the snapper). Could you post that article though for those of us who aren't registered to read it?

edit: that was quick service for that article

Last edited by kingtopher; 08-16-04 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-16-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Abob Teff
Anybody care to repost the article (since you need to create an account)?
Here you go (and you never need to create an account if you go to www.bugmenot.com first! ):

'Three Kings' Director Plans Documentary on Iraq War
By SHARON WAXMAN

Published: August 16, 2004

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 15 - Joining in Hollywood's latest penchant for political documentaries, the filmmaker David O. Russell is completing a documentary about the Iraqi war that is to be shown ahead of his 1999 movie "Three Kings" during a theatrical rerelease planned for the fall.

Warner Brothers is financing the $180,000 project, which involves interviewing Iraqi refugees who acted as extras in "Three Kings," the caper about the 1991 Persian Gulf War (starring George Clooney), and American veterans of the current war in Iraq.

"It will look at both sides of the war, people who feel good about the war, who believe in the mission, people who feel bad," said Mr. Russell, speaking at the Santa Monica editing room where editors are working in 24-hour shifts to complete the film before the November election.

Advertisement

The rerelease of "Three Kings'' is planned as part of a promotion for a new DVD of the film, which will also include a longer version of the documentary. Juan Carlos Zaldivar and Tricia Regan are co-directors of it with Mr. Russell.

Mr. Russell said the documentary had a political purpose, but only in the sense of trying to inform people about a major electoral issue. "I thought I could perhaps make a difference before the election, let people see the situation, how Iraqis wanted to get rid of Saddam, but also show what war does to people," he said. "When I talk to veterans, they have a chance to cry. It's traumatic; it tears you up to see people shot, and then you're supposed to come home and just blend back into the community? The Army doesn't want to acknowledge the human cost of the war machine."

Mr. Russell said he had been pushing Warner Brothers to rerelease "Three Kings," which had only moderate success at the box office in 1999, but which has received belated acclaim for its prescient depiction of the moral dilemmas of the war in Iraq.

"People would keep saying to me, ' "Three Kings" is so timely,' so I thought it would be interesting to re-release it, and to check in with the people who pertained to the movie literally, or in some relative way," he said.

The movie, a dark comedy also starring Mark Wahlberg and Ice Cube, is about a group of soldiers who sneak off at the end of the 1991 gulf war to find gold bullion hidden by Saddam Hussein. Along the way they encounter Shiite rebels and refugees fleeing Mr. Hussein's wrath, whom they have strict orders to ignore. Eventually the soldiers abandon their quest for the gold to help the refugees escape the country.

The fictional story turned out to have many parallels and connections to the current conflict, even the theft. The filmmakers have tracked down and interviewed soldiers who were caught trying to steal millions of dollars from a Baath Party cache of some $700 million in United States bills found in Baghdad last spring.

One of the soldiers accused of the theft was nicknamed "Clooney" by his friends. In the documentary interview, former Sgt. Matt Novak emotionally described the culture of greed and confiscation that he said characterized the entire present war. Mr. Novak, who was drummed out of the Army, has also told his story in The Los Angeles Times.

He said he was commonly asked to take cars, DVD and video players, computers and other valuables from Iraqi civilians for military use. He described finding warehouses filled with expensive watches or clothing much like what Mr. Russell depicted in "Three Kings" but also rooms filled with marijuana and cocaine.

Mr. Russell said that he opposed the current war, but that some part of him wanted to believe the larger effort of establishing democracy there could be achieved.

"Twenty percent of me takes it seriously and thinks this might possibly be what they need," he said, referring to Iraqis. "In some ways it's too soon to tell. We need 50 years to see."
Old 08-16-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

great film...original version had quite a bit of extras..maybe they'll make a cool 2 disc SE..or something..
Old 08-16-04, 12:17 PM

After reading about that documentary, I'm sold. Sounds great, especially if David O. Russell is doing it. I loved this movie when it was in theaters (and saw it twice there, which is a rarity for me) and have enjoyed it many times on DVD as well, but I'd be more than happy to upgrade when it is rereleased.
Old 08-16-04, 12:20 PM

I'll probably double dip on this one as well. Thanks for the news!
Old 08-16-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool the Iraqi Ass Map edition!
Old 08-16-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. This was my first DVD, and for about a week the only one I had. I listened to all the commentary and watched it about a million times. I would double dip strictly out of nostalgia!
Old 08-16-04, 02:26 PM

Another great bonus would be the footage Russell shot of going to the White House theater for a screening of the movie. I recall seeing this from the documentary "All the President's Movies" from last summer on Bravo. Anybody remember this?

I seem to recall there was a great bit showing Clinton telling Russell about some hot chick he had just met and then we hear Russell's disgust of how Clinton had just escaped impeachment over issues relating to keeping it in his pants and he still hadn't learned his lesson. Very funny.
Old 08-16-04, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by auntiewinnie
Another great bonus would be the footage Russell shot of going to the White House theater for a screening of the movie. I recall seeing this from the documentary "All the President's Movies" from last summer on Bravo. Anybody remember this?

I seem to recall there was a great bit showing Clinton telling Russell about some hot chick he had just met and then we hear Russell's disgust of how Clinton had just escaped impeachment over issues relating to keeping it in his pants and he still hadn't learned his lesson. Very funny.
Sheesh. I don't know what to say about that little anecdote except that it doesn't surprise me.

Anyway, I blindly pre-ordered the first release and was not disappointed. Very good film, hard to categorize or pidgeonhole, which is part of it's strength. The first DVD release had some decent extras; not sure if I'll double dip on this one.
Old 08-16-04, 03:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Liked the movie but I'm really getting sick of the double-dips Think I'm going to start netflixing them instead since it's mostly changes in special features which I usually only watch once anyway.
Old 08-16-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kromax
Wow. This was my first DVD, and for about a week the only one I had. I listened to all the commentary and watched it about a million times. I would double dip strictly out of nostalgia!
Ditto for me. Hey, maybe I'll try and get a screener copy to review!
Old 08-16-04, 05:59 PM

I'll surely double dip, especially since the in print edition isn't much more than $10 anymore. This was probably one of the best blind buys I've made yet.
Old 08-16-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Great movie, something i havent picked up on DVD yet even though its so cheap. I'd definitely get a new edition of it.
Old 08-16-04, 06:27 PM

Well, I just picked up Three Kings on Sunday. There you go.
Old 08-16-04, 06:29 PM

I'll definitely be double-dipping this. The documentary on the current war sounds thoughtful and even-handed, and I'd love to see more material pertaining to the first war (not to mention the movie).
Old 08-16-04, 06:43 PM
Banned

This is what gets me about George Clooney. Here we had him in a film depicting the plight of the Iraqi Shiite refugees, but now that we went in to finish the job that this movie depicts the war in which we didn't...George Clooney is against it. Doesn't make sense. It's like he didn't learn a damn thing while filming it. And the fact they used real Iraqi refugees is even more confusing into why Clooney was against the current war.
Old 08-16-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Unfortunately, George "without-a"-Clooney is an actor. Nothing more. And much less.
Old 08-16-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
This is what gets me about George Clooney. Here we had him in a film depicting the plight of the Iraqi Shiite refugees, but now that we went in to finish the job that this movie depicts the war in which we didn't...George Clooney is against it. Doesn't make sense. It's like he didn't learn a damn thing while filming it. And the fact they used real Iraqi refugees is even more confusing into why Clooney was against the current war.
Maybe there were other things he learned that led him to be against the war.
Old 08-16-04, 08:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
will there be a new transfer or added DTS? (not sure if the original has it or not)
Old 08-16-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I rented this long ago and have nearly picked it up about a million times. I'll pick this one up.
Old 08-17-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by scott1598
will there be a new transfer or added DTS? (not sure if the original has it or not)
It's a Warner Bros. movie. No DTS.
Old 08-17-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
This is what gets me about George Clooney. Here we had him in a film depicting the plight of the Iraqi Shiite refugees, but now that we went in to finish the job that this movie depicts the war in which we didn't...George Clooney is against it. Doesn't make sense.
So, really, what you're asking is, why doesn't Clooney believe exactly what you do, that these specific ends which (I believe) he does agree with justify any means whatsoever. Taking your bait for a second (since this has nothing to do with the movie, but is just you once *again* bringing your politics into a DVD forum), why do you think that it's impossible for somebody to believe that a right thing can be done in an utterly wrong way? Or that the way in which something is done can be so wrong as to utterly invalidate any right-ness the end goal may have had? I'm not trying to be specific, I'm not looking to start another debate in the wrong forum about whether we should have gone to war with Saddam over this or that, anything of that kind; I'm keeping it abstract because I have a feeling you'll see your fallacy much easier that way (said fallacy being, as I read it, that there were only two options with this particular war, either go at it *exactly* as Bush did or not at all).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.