Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the BEST bonus feature ever, to you, on DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What is the BEST bonus feature ever, to you, on DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
the "making of South Park" documentary on a South Park Christmas compilation DVDs they put out years ago.
Was this on one of the season sets or just on the Christmas complilation? I remember some kind of making of with Trey and Matt in a hot tub on one of the season sets.
Old 02-13-08, 07:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My picks

Personally, I've always loved the before-mentioned Carrot Top commentary on "The Rules of Attraction", as well as pretty much all John Carpenter commentaries (specifically those with Kurt Russell, although his commentaries on "The Fog" and "Halloween" are also very enjoyable). Abel Ferrara's commentary on "The King of New York" was pretty hilarious. All the commentaries by Wes Anderson (and company) and Richard Linklater are pretty entertaining and informative. Let's see...what else...I like all the blooper reels on the Seinfeld DVDs. The alternate ending for "To Live and Die in L.A." is hilarious in its purposeful stupidity. I really like any Charlie Rose interviews, and the ones that leap to mind are those on these DVDs: Fargo, One Hour Photo, The Royal Tenenbaums (I think...it might've been the Life Aquatic, or maybe both), Pulp Fiction, I Heart Huckabees, and The Sweet Hereafter. In terms of "making-ofs", the ones on The Thing, The Fly, Magnolia, and The Frighteners are all exceptional. The "You Know How I Know You're Gay?" extra segment on The 40-Year Old Virgin DVD gets tons of play on my home theater. The John Cassavete's documentary, "A Constant Forge", in the Criterion boxset is incredibly detailed and in-depth. I guess that pretty much covers my absolute favorites.

I guess if I did have to boil it down to just one, I'd say my favorite bonus feature ever is the John Carpenter-Kurt Russell commentary on "The Thing".
Old 02-14-08, 07:53 AM

The Sein-amation cartoons on the Seinfeld sets. I love those.

Also, I haven't listened to this yet, but I'm glad that they included an audience participation track on the Rocky Horror Picture Show dvd.
Old 02-14-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Upper pylon 3
The Sein-amation cartoons on the Seinfeld sets. I love those.
I have the Complete Series Box of Seinfeld. Where would I find the Sein-amation?

I haven't read through all these posts, so I might be repeating something already mentioned. Regardless -- one of my favorite bonus features appears on the Nightmare Before Christmas. Features Tim Burton's early works, like Vincent.
Old 02-14-08, 08:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker

I haven't read through all these posts, so I might be repeating something already mentioned. Regardless -- one of my favorite bonus features appears on the Nightmare Before Christmas. Features Tim Burton's early works, like Vincent.
'Frankenweenie' is also included.

The OOP laserdisc also has MTV shorts from Selick
Old 02-14-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if it's the best ever, but the conversation between Bruce Willis and Kevin Smith for the Live Free or Die Hard DVD was one of the most honest, insightful, entertaining features I've ever watched.
Old 02-14-08, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
I don't know if it's the best ever, but the conversation between Bruce Willis and Kevin Smith for the Live Free or Die Hard DVD was one of the most honest, insightful, entertaining features I've ever watched.
I'm sure it was much more entertaining than the actual film ...
Old 02-14-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Although I love film, I'm not a student of filmmaking like many members here. My favorite extras are those from movies based on actual events or actual jobs and the interviews and documentaries regarding film vs. fact.

It is not even out yet but I guarantee you my favorite extra will be the Goofy short at the beginning of NT2
Old 02-14-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Any commentary on a John Carpenter DVD (esp. The Thing)
The Making of The Thing doc
30 Days in Hell: The Making of The Devil's Rejects (extremely comprehensive)
Blood of the Beasts (slaughterhouse doc on Eyes Without a Face CC)
doc on The Monster Squad
Old 02-14-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The Roger Ebert commentary on Dark City or Citizen Kane.
Old 02-14-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The screen tests with Anne Archer and Stockard Channing and Christopher Reeve from SUPERMAN are number one on my list.

I also love...

...From the spectacular epic that which is SUPERMAN IV, the deleted scenes which have gone missing for twenty years, in all their unfinished glory (caveat: some of the scenes were actuallty "completed" and edited onto the European cut years ago)...

...The isolated music score on the first AMADEUS disc...

...all the footage which originally made up THE GODFATHER SAGA.
Old 02-14-08, 12:04 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

The "Under Pressure" doc on the 2-disc set of The Abyss. As riveting as the movie itself.
Old 02-14-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
A great one that isn't a bonus feature per se, since it's it's own release, is:

"24" Behind the Scenes - The Editing Process

Essential viewing for any fan of 24.
Old 02-14-08, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Any commentary on a John Carpenter DVD (esp. The Thing)
Please don't include the commentary for In the Mouth of Madness in this statement... as it is one of the most boring tracks ever recorded.
Old 02-14-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Not favorites, but highlights at least:

* MST3K-like commentary for "Ghostbusters"
* Any video commentary (Hellboy, Jerry Maguire, MI3)
* 'Making of' on all the Lord of the Rings (Extended Editions)
Old 02-14-08, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Although I love film, I'm not a student of filmmaking like many members here. My favorite extras are those from movies based on actual events or actual jobs and the interviews and documentaries regarding film vs. fact.

It is not even out yet but I guarantee you my favorite extra will be the Goofy short at the beginning of NT2
that short film was hysterical
Old 02-14-08, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I have the Complete Series Box of Seinfeld. Where would I find the Sein-amation?
They are scattered out through the later season sets. There are maybe 8 to 10 of them all together.
Old 02-15-08, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seeing five cuts of Blade Runner compiled into one package, so many different versions of the movie, and yet it never feels like overkill. Coming a close second is the deleted scenes montage from the aforementioned Blade Runner DVD set, I really love how it's edited as another "cut" of the movie.
Old 02-15-08, 09:08 AM

The BEST Bonus Feature? I've Got Two...

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
The title does not mean to reply "Commentary tracks are the best feature" or "deleted scenes are" but, more so, what is the single best feature out of the usual features (or, in some cases, unusual) you have came across on DVD.
Two that I haven't seen on this thread:

Deja Vu 's Commentary Track - Ridley Scott is still "the man" when it comes to commentary tracks, but his brother Tony Scott's commentary on the movie "Deja Vu" was fascinating not just for its content, but for its seamless switching to featurette content. If you've not experienced this, imagine you're listening to some commentary track, and then the track pauses and some video featurette begins playing. When the video is finished, you jump back to the movie. "Deja Vu" was the first movie that I've seen that, and I really liked it. I also saw it on "Seabiscuit" and "A Good Year ".

Seabiscuit 's Commentary Track - Same comments as above, but this time the commentary featured two directors having a conversation. Gary Ross, the director of the movie, was interviewed throughout the track by Steven Soderbergh. I like nuts-and-bolts commentaries, and this was a good one. Stephen was terrific at keeping the conversation going. And while they switched from the commentary to some video featurette, they continued talking through that, enhancing the discussion.

Both of these are great movies, BTW.
Old 02-15-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I need the "Deja Vu" DVD . I scan the ads every week, praying it will be on sale, but I can't find it anywhere. I'd buy it previously viewed, but I really want the slipcover. I'm not even a slipcover nerd, but it's just cool and I want it.
Old 02-15-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Kory
I need the "Deja Vu" DVD . I scan the ads every week, praying it will be on sale, but I can't find it anywhere. I'd buy it previously viewed, but I really want the slipcover. I'm not even a slipcover nerd, but it's just cool and I want it.

It is sexy foil...

But I really liked the features on Knocked Up, they were all really, really funny.
Old 02-15-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
"The Beginning" documentary on "The Phantom Menace".

The pseudo-documentary on "The Blair Witch Project".
Both better than the movies the accompany.
Old 02-15-08, 12:31 PM

The short film "Caruncula" & the stone amulet replica (Dark Waters LE Box Set)

Tim Lucas' commentary for Blood and Black Lace
Tom Weaver's commentary for Bedlam

"The Harryhausen Chronicles" documentary (7th Voyage of Sinbad)

"A & E Biography: Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (BtVS season 6)

"Beyond Titanic" documentary (Titanic - 1953)
Old 02-21-08, 02:04 PM
Cool New Member

Haven't seen anyone mention Kevin Costner's commentary track on "Open Range." Very insightful, not only for his comments as director, but his contrary view that times were not simpler back then.
Old 02-21-08, 05:53 PM
Banned

The commentary on A Knight's Tale. I listen to it all the time....a lot of the time, more than the actual movie it's self.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.