Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

After Hours...where's the love?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

After Hours...where's the love?

Old 08-12-04, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
don't start with after hours. start with goodfellas. it's a great combination between loose, fast and entertaining style and serious and innovative. Then watch Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Mean Streets and King of Comedy (maybe in that order). Then watch After Hours. Eventually catch up on all of it: Last Temptation of Christ, Bringing Out the Dead, Gangs of New York, etc...

Mind you, this isn't in order of best to worst at all, but an order that I think would help introduce you to his work.
Then Goodfellas it is! And thanks a lot!
Old 08-23-04, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by rfduncan
"I said I wanna see a Plaster of Paris bagel and cream cheese paper weight, now cough it up... get 'em, cause as we sit here chatting, there are important papers flying rampant around my apartment cause I don't have ANYTHING to hold them down with!"
My favorite line, and there are many, is when he is dancing with Verna Bloom (June) at the end of the film when she asks him "What he wants?"

Paul says: "I want to live, just want to live, live..." To me this just encapsulates the film as a whole since Paul just wants to get back home (don't we all in a allegorical-way), i.e. a womb where we feel safe and in control, a comfort zone (which he has obviously lost once in Soho).

imdb.com After Hours link

I saw on imdb.com that Scorsese made Dunne abstain from sleep and sex during the entire filiming so he would exhibit the very nature of exhaustion, sleep-deprivation induced paranoia, and libido frustration. Good idea on Scorsese's part. So at the end of this flick, Dunne's confusion and craziness is as close to being "real" as any film has portrayed.

One thing I couldn't figure out is why the bartender, Tom (John Heard) couldn't open the cash-register and then asks Paul if he could go to his (Tom's) apartment and set the alarm and get the keys to the register. Did I miss something there?

Great flick! From first viewing in 1985 it's stayed with me through the years. I feel that Hitchcock's "The Trouble With Harry" was, quite possibly, the "daytime" equivalent to "After Hours" in some ways. "Harry" along with Hitchcock's "Rear Window" are two of my exteme faves as well. But "After Hours" is in a niche of it's own for sure. I never tire of this movie...it's compellingly strange.

Last edited by newswatcher; 08-23-04 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 11:23 PM

Saw this for the first time yesterday while watching the Scorsese Box Set, Great movie, thing it might be my fav. of his
Old 08-23-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need to watch this one.
I bought the box set without having seen one of the films in it (!)
I watched 'Who's that Knocking at my Door' last night (I like to watch films chronologically) and was kind of dissapointed. Nice seeing Keitel so young, but it was an odd film. I guess this is the kind of film where the interest lies simply in the fact that it's the director's debut and one can see his hallmarks develop.
Old 08-24-04, 12:31 AM

Same here Natevines I seemed to like Mean Streets, After Hours and Goodfellas more than Alice and Knocking
Old 08-28-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by natevines
I watched 'Who's that Knocking at my Door' last night
Well, if you're going chronologically, then you're in for a treat next. Make sure to post your thoughts on Mean Streets!
Old 08-30-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hadn't seen this thing in years, probably since I saw it theatrically. Very funny enjoyable movie. Great stuff.
Old 09-09-04, 02:18 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Just saw this for the first time and was completely blown away.

Funniest line for me:
Spoiler:
When he sees the wife shoot the husband while he's hiding up on the fire escape: "I'll probably get blamed for that."

I can't believe I'd never seen this one before. God, right up there with Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, etc. And it's a Scorsese comedy, how many of them are there?

But is it really a comedy?
Old 09-09-04, 09:52 AM

I agree, jough, that was one of many great lines is "Hours"
Old 09-09-04, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by jough

a nightmare comedy and I've been laughing with it since it first aired on some film channel, years ago. Dunne, I thought, was amazing and I was thrilled when I saw that he was the lead. I was still riding high on his performance from American Wearwolf.

a true "sleeper" masterpiece....and in my personal top 10 films of all time.
Old 09-10-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

definitely...although a dark one.

I was so excited that this finally came out on dvd......my list of movies that need to be on dvd has slowly withered down to less than 20 now over the years.....and this one was near the top of the list.

I just need to actually get around to watching it now....been too busy catching up on my tv show dvds lately.

I first saw this film about 10 years ago during my freshman year in college. We actually watched this film in a class I was taking called "The History of Travel". It was just a fun movie to watch the last week of class to illustrate that one does not need to travel far to be totally out of one's own surroundings, comfort zone, and safety. I think this was just an excuse the professor made up so we could watch this film in this class, lol, but I am sure glad he showed it to us. (We also watched two episodes of Fawlty Towers, so that was even more of a stretch, lol).
Old 09-11-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
After Hours isn't for everyone. I've found that for a lot of people I know, it leads to them watching lots more oddball movies (unless they just hate it and never watch anything out of the top 5 of the week again).
Old 10-24-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does this DVD come with an insert????

Mine didn't and there's no mention of "After Hours" in "The official "Does this movie come with an insert" thread - Part Duex" thread. Nor is there any info about an insert in the DVDTalk review.

Anyone?
Old 10-24-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by new2theplace
Nope. The only WB titles that come with inserts, I believe, are the Matrix sequels. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Great flick - bought it blind, and it opened my eyes, BABY!

How's the commentary? Haven't listened to it yet.

Cheers.

-the Jesus
Old 10-24-04, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by new2theplace

Mine didn't and there's no mention of "After Hours" in "The official "Does this movie come with an insert" thread - Part Duex" thread. Nor is there any info about an insert in the DVDTalk review.

Anyone?
It's a Warner Brothers movie, so no, it doesn't have an insert.
Old 10-25-04, 09:11 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Well, other Warners films in a keepcase had inserts, like The Last Samurai and the Matrix Sequels.

I think it's just their budget line that doesn't include inserts - unfortunately that includes the great boxed sets like the Hitchcock, Film Noir, and Scorsese sets.
Old 10-26-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: After Hours...where's the love?

Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
I guess I thought there'd be more cultish fervor around here surrounding this title. Where's the love? Or by admitting my love for this 1985 movie, am I just showing my age? I saw it in theaters and was bowled over.
I just got this the other day. It's a great film, one of my favorites. But then I also originally saw it in a theater too.

I don't think there's been much hype for it because while it definitely stands up, it also is a very 80's movie and some of the 'younger' audience here probably never saw it.

A good double feature for this movie is Into the Night.
Old 10-26-04, 08:46 AM
Banned

It's probably the only Scorcese film I could ever watch more than once.
Old 10-26-04, 09:00 PM

Well, other Warners films in a keepcase had inserts, like The Last Samurai and the Matrix Sequels.

I think it's just their budget line that doesn't include inserts - unfortunately that includes the great boxed sets like the Hitchcock, Film Noir, and Scorsese sets.
Since they switched over from snappers I don't think there have been any inserts, though I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure though that the only inserts WB has done so far have been in 2-disc sets in the past. So if it's a single disc set, or a new 2 disc SE (like Goodfellas or something) you probably won't have an insert.
Old 10-26-04, 10:02 PM

Re: Re: After Hours...where's the love?

Originally posted by renaldow
It's a great film, one of my favorites. But then I also originally saw it in a theater too.

same here....twice. played hooky from work to catch it a second time. about 4 people in the crowd....perfect.