Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that did poorly at theaters, but well on DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Movies that did poorly at theaters, but well on DVD

Old 08-10-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rich-y
Boogie Nights only did $26,400,640 at the box office. It has been much more popular on DVD and has even warranted two different releases.
Every movie that is made could warrant 2 or 3 different releases if the studio thinks we're dumb enough to buy them all....and some do unfortunately.
Old 08-10-04, 08:00 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by seinfeldfan
Although it was nominated for Best Picture, The Shawshank Redemption was not attended well in theatres (not even grossing 30 million in the US) and only since going to video/dvd became the widely regarded masterpiece it is today. In fact, Robert Ebert mentions this in his write-up of Shawshank in his Great Movies column.

"The Shawshank Redemption" premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in September 1994, and opened a few weeks later. It got good reviews but did poor business (its $18 million original gross didn't cover costs; it took in only another $10 million after winning seven Oscar nominations, including best picture).

There wasn't much going for it: It had a terrible title, it was a "prison drama" and women don't like those, it contained almost no action, it starred actors who were respected but not big stars, and it was long at 142 minutes. Clearly this was a movie that needed word-of-mouth to find an audience, and indeed business was slowly but steadily growing when it was yanked from theaters. If it had been left to find its way, it might have continued to build and run for months, but that's not what happened.

Instead, in one of the most remarkable stories in home video history, it found its real mass audience on tapes and discs, and through TV screenings. Within five years, "Shawshank" was a phenomenon, a video best seller and renter that its admirers feel they've discovered for themselves. When the Wall Street Journal ran an article about the "Shawshank" groundswell in April 1999, it was occupying first place in the Internet Movie Database worldwide vote of the 250 best films; it's usually in the top five."

Whole column:
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatm...shawshank.html
One of many great examples.
Old 08-11-04, 03:48 AM

Believe it or not, Star Trek: Nemesis is a great example of this.

It only grossed domestically about 43 million during its theatrical run, but did over a 100 million on DVD in just the first few weeks of distribution.
Old 08-11-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Highlander.
Of course it was a double-edged sword because they made sequels that shouldn't be admitted to.
Old 08-11-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kill Bill
Moulin Rouge!

Can anyone name one that did worse? The only example I can think of would maybe be E.T., which was huge in '82 and held the box office record for years, but I don't think the DVD was quite the success the movie was at the box-office, or even the original VHS release was. This is, of course, not comparing the DVD sales to the mediocre performance of the 20th anniversary theatrical release. Of course, someone will quote the sales figures (which I have no idea what they were) and say it made just as much on DVD.

Originally posted by rich-y
Boogie Nights only did $26,400,640 at the box office. It has been much more popular on DVD and has even warranted two different releases.
I thought the reason it got a second release was mainly because PTA wasn't happy with the transfer on the first one. While they were at it, they made it 2 discs and added a deleted scene, but the transfer was what caused them to rerelease it.

I wonder why more people would want to watch Showgirls in the privacy of their own homes than in the theater...
Old 08-11-04, 11:56 AM

I think that Swimfan did good in the theather. It actually was #1 for 1 week or two but I think the sells are alot better for the DVD. Because this is a movie people would buy along with Fatal Attraction so they could have a crazy chick marathon
Old 08-11-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Bourne Identity. The most rented DVD of 2003.
Old 08-11-04, 05:13 PM
JIF

L.A. Confidential - Warners screwed up the marketing for this film in theatres.
Old 08-11-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by JIF
L.A. Confidential - Warners screwed up the marketing for this film in theatres.
Well I think it was the Academy Awards that did it. I mean, it's not like this movie tanked. It did gross 70 million in domestic box office, and for an R rated adult film noir with no major stars (at the time) that's pretty damn good.
Old 08-11-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by zombiezilla
I'll bet anyone BIG BUCKS that, as much as everyone whined and bitched about it, CATWOMAN sells very well on DVD.
Agreed. But most people who buy it wont really care about the actual movie anyway.
Old 08-11-04, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
The best known example of this is Jaws.
Yup! I agree. That and "Titanic."
Old 08-11-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shawshank redemption was the first to come to mind for me.
Old 08-12-04, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GIGLI is another movie that I think did much better on DVD than at the theatres. I believe it sold like 50 copies.
Old 08-12-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Perkinsun Dzees
GIGLI is another movie that I think did much better on DVD than at the theatres. I believe it sold like 50 copies.
It was funny when Gigli came on Starz, and they advertised it as "The movie so bad, you know you have to see it." It's pretty bad when that's the best marketing they can come up with for it.
Old 08-12-04, 11:58 AM

autofocus the bob crane murder and rounders with ed norton and matt damon.
Old 08-12-04, 12:50 PM

Another vote for Shawshank Redemption. I remember having to drag people to go see this when it was out in theaters. And now its probably in most people's DVD collecion.

John
Old 08-12-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally posted by Perkinsun Dzees
The Girl Next Door
Are you basing this on pre-orders or something?
Old 08-12-04, 02:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Shawshank and the first Bourne ...
Old 08-12-04, 03:40 PM

Red Rock West
It was so popular on video that it was released in the theaters
Austin
Old 08-12-04, 08:56 PM

Shawshank Redemption, I never heard anything about it until a friend's wife rented it and we all fell in love with it. It was one of the first dvds i purchased and still love it today.
Old 08-12-04, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't The Matrix just a so-so box office movie but the DVD really propelled it to cult status.
Old 08-24-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bloopbleep
rounders with ed norton and matt damon.
Another good call. Exactly what I was thinking. Didnt do great in the theaters, but with poker's increasing popularity, did much better on dvd.
Old 08-25-04, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Edge?
Old 08-25-04, 03:32 AM
Banned

the girl next door is going to be making a killing and looks like a cult favorite in the making
Old 08-25-04, 05:33 AM

Empire Records

TK

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.