Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that did poorly at theaters, but well on DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Movies that did poorly at theaters, but well on DVD

Old 08-10-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dark City - rarely seen in the theaters but I believe most early adopters of DVD have this one as it was one of the better discs at the time (and still gets played regularly at my house).
Old 08-10-04, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Ruderic
The Godfather

yeah making $245M worldwide is a poor boxoffice take for a film in 1972.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...egodfather.htm
Old 08-10-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Although it is a different branch of the spectrum, It's a Wonderful Life deserves to be mentioned here. It underperfomed greatly in the theatres, and laid dormant for 30 years before coming alive on TV (due to the public domain status). Now, it is really an essential on both DVD and on television.
Old 08-10-04, 12:48 PM
Cool New Member

My reasoning for the post is more along the lines of what GuessWho said. I am not interesting in how a movie did financially, but how it did with gross sales (theater vs. DVD).
Old 08-10-04, 12:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Groucho
The best known example of this is Jaws.
You're kidding right? Jaws was the very first summer blockbuster, EVERYONE saw it in a theater.
Old 08-10-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My reasoning for the post is more along the lines of what GuessWho said. I am not interesting in how a movie did financially, but how it did with gross sales (theater vs. DVD).
The gross sales now, due to DVD, is bullshit. Almost every mainstream film currently will make more on DVD and than in theaters. Hell, it has been proven that a blockbuster film will make more on DVD than it will in theaters. Take for example The Fast and the Furious (as it's the only example I know the figures on off the top of my head). The film made over $140 million during it's theatrical release, but Universal said it made almost $200 million on DVD sales alone. That was just with the original widescreen collector's edition DVD, and doesn't even account any of the Tricked Out editions that were released over a year later. Same applies to another Universal flick The Bourne Identity (movie made quite a bit of change, DVD sales and rentals blew that figure out of the water).

And a lot of the films people are listing, still aren't "well known." Office Space, Super Troopers, Friday, Donnie Darko, and Austin Powers? The Big Lebowski?Yes, they weren't big hits in theaters, but grew in audience once it came onto video (especially Austin Powers and Friday).

But Dark City? Boondock Saints? Equilibrium? No. Most people I know don't even know of those films.
Old 08-10-04, 01:00 PM

UHM...all wrong

Jaws?

Jaws was the first ever official blockbuster (blockbuster status meant earning domestic gross of $100 million).

Jaws was the first film to do that. It was certainly NOT a failure in the box office.

From boxofficemojo.com, it made $260 million back in 1975. It's in the top 10 I believe if adjusted for inflation, which is a true take on a film's popularity for how many people went to see it.

Regards,

Sanjay
Old 08-10-04, 01:24 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
[B]The gross sales now, due to DVD, is bullshit. Almost every mainstream film currently will make more on DVD and than in theaters....
Yep, I agree, gross sales was a bad indicator. I should have phrased it "box office popularity vs DVD popularity". The issue is more subjective than sales can reveal.
Old 08-10-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: UHM...all wrong

Originally posted by StarFyre
Jaws?

Jaws was the first ever official blockbuster (blockbuster status meant earning domestic gross of $100 million).

Jaws was the first film to do that. It was certainly NOT a failure in the box office.

From boxofficemojo.com, it made $260 million back in 1975. It's in the top 10 I believe if adjusted for inflation, which is a true take on a film's popularity for how many people went to see it.
Okay, granted, the original post wasn't that funny, but come on.
Old 08-10-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Groucho needs an opening act to warm up the crowd.
Old 08-10-04, 01:55 PM

Boogie Nights only did $26,400,640 at the box office. It has been much more popular on DVD and has even warranted two different releases.
Old 08-10-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't got the figures to back this up, but Showgirls is getting a lot more attention as a DVD than it got when it was released theatrically.
Old 08-10-04, 01:59 PM

Memento

Sling Blade to an extent. it did have a following in the theaters, but word of mouth took long enough to spread that it didnt hit really big until its DVD release.

Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels (at least for us US people. im not sure how it did in Europe)
Old 08-10-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by THX7966
You're kidding right? Jaws was the very first summer blockbuster, EVERYONE saw it in a theater.
Almost reacted that way, then looked back at who the poster was.
Old 08-10-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Citizen Kane

Tron

The Girl Next Door
Old 08-10-04, 02:23 PM

Here are some movies that did alright in the theatres but nothing compared to what they made over the years in the rental and retail home video market.

Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Dazed And Confused
Better Off Dead
License To Drive
Just One Of The Guys
Loverboy
Can't Buy Me Love
Summer School
Old 08-10-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amelie, though it's foreign.
Backyard Sluts 9
Old 08-10-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Evil Dead didn't have much of a theatrical run, but it became a cult classic on video. I guess that's probably true of alot of cult movies; they don't really get discovered until some time has passed. I mean, if people found out about it right away, then it wouldn't really be "cult" would it, it would just be popular.
Old 08-10-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Catwoman - Everyone will own this DVD by next year!!
I'll wait for the Catwoman and Alamo 2 pack which will celebrate the best of box office flops
Old 08-10-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by theneobez
Backyard Sluts 9
Old 08-10-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Mars Attacks! and Monkeybone did a lot better as DVDs than they did at the box office.
Old 08-10-04, 03:34 PM
Banned

I'll bet anyone BIG BUCKS that, as much as everyone whined and bitched about it, CATWOMAN sells very well on DVD.
Old 08-10-04, 04:29 PM
Cool New Member

Although it was nominated for Best Picture, The Shawshank Redemption was not attended well in theatres (not even grossing 30 million in the US) and only since going to video/dvd became the widely regarded masterpiece it is today. In fact, Robert Ebert mentions this in his write-up of Shawshank in his Great Movies column.

"The Shawshank Redemption" premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in September 1994, and opened a few weeks later. It got good reviews but did poor business (its $18 million original gross didn't cover costs; it took in only another $10 million after winning seven Oscar nominations, including best picture).

There wasn't much going for it: It had a terrible title, it was a "prison drama" and women don't like those, it contained almost no action, it starred actors who were respected but not big stars, and it was long at 142 minutes. Clearly this was a movie that needed word-of-mouth to find an audience, and indeed business was slowly but steadily growing when it was yanked from theaters. If it had been left to find its way, it might have continued to build and run for months, but that's not what happened.

Instead, in one of the most remarkable stories in home video history, it found its real mass audience on tapes and discs, and through TV screenings. Within five years, "Shawshank" was a phenomenon, a video best seller and renter that its admirers feel they've discovered for themselves. When the Wall Street Journal ran an article about the "Shawshank" groundswell in April 1999, it was occupying first place in the Internet Movie Database worldwide vote of the 250 best films; it's usually in the top five."

Whole column:
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatm...shawshank.html
Old 08-10-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Usual Suspects
Reservoir Dogs

Not sure if they tanked in theaters, but most of their audience came from video...
Old 08-10-04, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Gdrlv
Usual Suspects
Reservoir Dogs

Not sure if they tanked in theaters, but most of their audience came from video...
GOOD CALL!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.