DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Mystery Science Theater 3000 Volume 6 News (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/378202-mystery-science-theater-3000-volume-6-news.html)

speedy1961 08-03-04 12:33 PM

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Volume 6 News

Mystery Science Theater 3000 - Collection: Volume 6 Details
Posted by Gord Lacey
8/03/2004

Rhino Home Video will release Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Volume 6 on September 21. What will be on the set? How about:

* Gunslinger
* Mr. B Natural's Shorts
* Attack Of The Giant Leeches
* Teenagers From Outer Space

This 4 disc set should retail for $59.95 US. We'll have cover art when it's available.

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2022

Adam Tyner 08-03-04 12:39 PM

That's great news. "Teenagers..." is one of the episodes I've wanted most on DVD.

speedy1961 08-03-04 12:40 PM

I want to see that one myself.

Chaza 08-03-04 12:55 PM

this is great, can't wait.

darkside 08-03-04 01:30 PM

Time to sell my Gunslingers VHS. I'm going to need the money with all this MST3K stuff coming out.

devilpants 08-03-04 01:55 PM

TORTURE! :lol:

majorjoe23 08-03-04 02:06 PM

Teenagers From Outer Space was the first episode I ever saw. I played it for a group of friends and they were all hooked.

Mondo Kane 08-03-04 02:29 PM

Originally posted by majorjoe23
I played it for a group of friends and they were all hooked.
Same here!
http://www.badmovies.org/othermovies...teenspace2.jpg
"Ray Liotta?"

John Sinnott 08-03-04 02:57 PM

Great news! I loved Teenagers too. Mr. B Natural was a laugh riot also. "Bad touch!"

MahatmaPetey 08-03-04 03:10 PM

man, i need to get caught up on these...i still need 2 and 5, and a few of the single disc releases.

Numanoid 08-03-04 03:23 PM

Is Gunslinger the episode where Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank go into the theater and try to riff on the movie? That was the funniest damn thing.

cultshock 08-03-04 03:53 PM

Great news. "Teenagers..." is especially great. :up:

Lokimok 08-03-04 04:29 PM

I skipped the last 2 sets, but this is a must. Thanks for the news.

devynal 08-03-04 04:58 PM

Great great news. MST3K is the best!

gutwrencher 08-03-04 05:30 PM

Originally posted by cultshock
Great news. "Teenagers..." is especially great. :up:
ditto!!

darkside 08-03-04 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Numanoid
Is Gunslinger the episode where Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank go into the theater and try to riff on the movie? That was the funniest damn thing.
Yep, thats the episode.

punkmonkey 08-04-04 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid
That's "Last of the Wild Horses," I think. Another western.

pezboy 08-04-04 01:23 PM

"Mr. B Natural" is the reference standard of MST3K for me. Not only is it an extremely poorly made advertisment for musical instruments, but it has probalby the most jaw-droppingly crazy character in MST3K canon. (Apologies to Torgo)

Also, I love the shorts because they're,well, short. I think MST3K would still be on the air if they focused on shorts, serials, industrial and educational films and stuff like that. It's also easier to introduce people to the concept in 20-30 minute period.

Having said that, I will buy this immediately.

darkside 08-04-04 01:29 PM

Originally posted by punkmonkey
That's "Last of the Wild Horses," I think. Another western.
Yeah, you are right. Gunslinger is the crappy Roger Corman western. I got it confused with the crappy Robert Lippert western.

ThatGuamGuy 08-04-04 03:01 PM

Originally posted by pezboy
Also, I love the shorts because they're,well, short. I think MST3K would still be on the air if they focused on shorts, serials, industrial and educational films and stuff like that. It's also easier to introduce people to the concept in 20-30 minute period.
I kinda agree with you; I love the uniqueness of it being a two-hour show, but I admit, I can't always watch for two hours straight (or even just 90 minutes, without commercials). Sometimes, a short is just right. It's also easier to watch because you're less likely to find yourself, at some point in the second half, saying, "Dammit, *I'm* watching this nonsensical movie too!"

It would've been cool if they'd done a season of shorts or something, though.

BeckysBoy 08-04-04 04:22 PM

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
I kinda agree with you; I love the uniqueness of it being a two-hour show, but I admit, I can't always watch for two hours straight (or even just 90 minutes, without commercials). Sometimes, a short is just right. It's also easier to watch because you're less likely to find yourself, at some point in the second half, saying, "Dammit, *I'm* watching this nonsensical movie too!"

IIRC, back in the day it was hard for Best Brains to get rights to enough shorts to do them regularly, so it was a special occasion when they could do one, especially in the later years of the show. It was easier early on, but when it became clear that those hilarious educational shorts from the 40s and 50s had some value, great swaths of them got bought up and were no longer available except at an exorbitantly high price.

majorjoe23 08-04-04 04:26 PM

I remember reading somewhere that later on the Sci-Fi channel (or maybe it was Comedy Central) suggested that maybe they should watch sitcom pilots, because it would be easier to schedule the show.

darkside 08-04-04 08:10 PM

Man with the exclusive Essentials set http://www.gettvmusic.com/mst3000dvd/ $30, the exclusive Michael J Nelson autographed version of Carnival of Souls http://www.offcolorfilms.com/cos.html $25 and now this set another $40 or so it is really hurting my wallet to be a MST3K fan.

I couldn't be happier though. For awhile we were worried Rhino may stop releasing the MST3K sets and now they have two coming up. I'm just longing for the day I can replace all my DAP downloaded episodes with the Rhino releases.

Mudhead 08-05-04 02:32 PM

Has anyone seen the Carnival of Souls? I have the Criterion but if Mike's commentary is as good as an MST3K episode I'll pick this up.

BeckysBoy 08-05-04 04:11 PM

You guys know that upcoming "Three Stooges in Color" DVD will be "hosted" (whatever that means) by Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett, and Kevin Murphy, right?

DJLinus 08-24-04 10:53 PM

I love the uniqueness of it being a two-hour show, but I admit, I can't always watch for two hours straight (or even just 90 minutes, without commercials).
I agree. Did you ever see the Mystery Science Theater Hour? It was syndicated and aired late night on a local channel for a seaon when I was in college. It was perfect: after a night out, come home, watch the MST3k Hour and drift off to sleep. There's more info about the show here.

Mike was hilarious as "The Host" (doing a Jack Perkins impersonation).

http://www.tvtome.com/images/shows/6/2/68-123.jpg

Oh, and MST3kInfo.com says that the release date for Vol. 6 has been bumped to Oct. 5th.

darkside 08-25-04 08:31 AM

Oddly enough Mike Nelson talked about this in an interview. The thing that originaly got the series on The Comedy Channel was its length. They had a huge schedule to fill with programing and the best thing MST3K had going for it was its length since you can only show so many episodes of CPO Sharkey in a row.

Eventually the length of the show would cause problems, but in the early days it was a major benefit to it ever getting on The Comedy Channel in the first place.

devynal 08-27-04 07:19 PM

According to TVShowsOnDVD.com:

A couple of weeks ago it was our unfortunate duty to report that the 9/21 release date for Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection - Volume 6 had been delayed. At the time, Rhino told us that they thought it would make it out for October 5th. This didn't turn out to be the case, however. Now Rhino has sent out a revised October schedule, and this item now shows up on it for a release on October 26th.
:(

But here's the art!

http://216.218.203.229/news4/MST3K_Vol6.jpg

milo bloom 08-27-04 08:12 PM

Well, at least it gives me time to catch up on the rest of them. Need two singles and boxes 3-5.

Icon769 08-28-04 12:01 AM

Can someone who has the Essentials confirm that it includes the POOPIE feature that was packaged with the original release of Manos?