DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Needed : Sticky thread listing "ordinary" DVDs which are OOP and valuable

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AOD
Xage,

Good job. NCYankee, if you go back to post #320, you will see my sealed boomstick copy. That is the one you need to be on the lookout for. Like Xage said, it will have 2 stickers on it, one on the front and one on the back. Those are the ONLY ones that will have the "Join The Army" insert. Yes, they are hard to find, and even harder to find sealed. Here's a quick look at mine.

Actually AOD, the one that push me to all these stuff on the Boomstick was when you posted that photo on #320 response. Really at first, I thought it was only 1version, I was wrong. Many Thanks for that.

No Doubt, AOD you do have the "Harder to find" - "sealed" Boomstick Edition in your hand. My advise, Do Not Open it.. hehehe

Thanks Dude

Last edited by xage; 01-12-06 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-13-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the help on that, guys - I was just wondering if the original had the same cheap looking white plastic digipack as the one I got from Best Buy - I am not planning to look for a copy with the booklet as I am satisfied with mine (especially at the price I paid - $8.99.) Not sure whether I am going to resell it or not - I love the movie - but I guess I could and use the proceeds to buy the BotD version when/if it comes out (any rumors?)
Old 01-13-06, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by NCYankee
Thanks for the help on that, guys - I was just wondering if the original had the same cheap looking white plastic digipack as the one I got from Best Buy - I am not planning to look for a copy with the booklet as I am satisfied with mine (especially at the price I paid - $8.99.) Not sure whether I am going to resell it or not - I love the movie - but I guess I could and use the proceeds to buy the BotD version when/if it comes out (any rumors?)
NCYankee, great catch obtaining it for only $8.99

Yes, its the same cheap white plastic digipacks.

The "Only" main difference is the 8 page collectible booklet.

Last edited by xage; 01-13-06 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-13-06, 01:13 AM
Banned

Thanks for the clarification on "Ed Wood". Mine was obtained during the big Amazon fiasco, so it's legit. Also, BIG UP'S for the Boomstick Edition clear-up. Just checked my copy, it includes the booklet, and I got it for $9.99 at DiscLand in St. Paul a few months back. Lucky catch, I guess!
Old 01-13-06, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slowcloud
That's a common misconception. Some light gray (not silver) spines do not have the cross-dressing documentary and are worth just as much as the newer black spine version, also without the doc. I have first-hand experience with this, and it's a well known fact on several threads that bring up this DVD. The DVDs with light gray spines (recalled and reissued), case text, disc and all are identical. It's a good idea to snatch one up at Gamestop and test it out, as they have a customer-friendly return policy, within a week.
Thanks for the info slowcloud - now to be sure I am clear on this:

1) A black spine definitely does not have the cross-dressing featurette.
2) Some light gray spines do have the featurette, but it is not listed as a special feature on the back - so the only way to tell is to play it?
Old 01-13-06, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2) Some light gray spines do have the featurette, but it is not listed as a special feature on the back - so the only way to tell is to play it?
Corrrrrect!
Old 01-27-06, 02:23 PM

Start looking out for the Friends 1-10 Limited Edition Set (250 average on Ebay), Wrestlemania Complete Anthology (225-300 Avg), and the Buffy Chosen Collection. All three have been slowly raising in price, are Out of Print, and getting harder and harder to find.
Old 01-29-06, 02:20 AM

My Copy of AOD Boomstick didn't have stickers but the Booklet is Included

First thanks for all the dvdtalkers who provided the AOD boomstick detailed info. This is my first post in this thread so please be gentle to me.

Fortunately I bought a copy of AOD Boomstick at Bestbuy.com in last year's $8.99 sale period. After that, the DVD went OOP. At that time I didn't open the DVD, neither was I aware of the booklet detail. My copy came without the red stickers on front and back.

After I read through the thread and I examined my sealed copy from outside, I could clearly see a booklet sandwiched in the packing and I could also tell it is a mutiple-page booklet. After hesitated for a while, I decided to open it and you know what, it IS the "Join the Army" booklet.

I don't know if my story is an exception so feel free to make comments.

Last edited by dvdphilic; 01-29-06 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-29-06, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

This is not exactly true. I have a Black spine Ed Wood, AND the featurette. It wasn't removed from the disc, however the access from the menu was. The only way to get it on the Black spine is to go to Title 16 (Or VTS_12_1.VOB) directly...but it is on the disc.

If you want the menu option, the black spine won't help ya.
Old 01-29-06, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by dvdphilic
First thanks for all the dvdtalkers who provided the AOD boomstick detailed info. This is my first post in this thread so please be gentle to me.

Fortunately I bought a copy of AOD Boomstick at Bestbuy.com in last year's $8.99 sale period. After that, the DVD went OOP. At that time I didn't open the DVD, neither was I aware of the booklet detail. My copy came without the red stickers on front and back.

After I read through the thread and I examined my sealed copy from outside, I could clearly see a booklet sandwiched in the packing and I could also tell it is a mutiple-page booklet. After hesitated for a while, I decided to open it and you know what, it IS the "Join the Army" booklet.

I don't know if my story is an exception so feel free to make comments.
Need Not Worry. As long the 8page booklet is in it even without the offer, its still the expensive one out there! Glad to know you got it!
Old 01-30-06, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheKing
This is not exactly true. I have a Black spine Ed Wood, AND the featurette. It wasn't removed from the disc, however the access from the menu was. The only way to get it on the Black spine is to go to Title 16 (Or VTS_12_1.VOB) directly...but it is on the disc.

If you want the menu option, the black spine won't help ya.
So does that mean you need a DVD-ROM drive to access it? That could mean all Ed Wood: SE DVDs might still have the documentary but access would be restricted to those with DVD-ROM drives... I think. Do clarify.
Old 01-30-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...44&postcount=9
the more recent recalled ed wood is still appearing on shelves at best buy al the time.

there are 2 versions one has a silver spine one has a black.

i think the silver spine is the recalled version.

btw the doc is reported to be on the new after recall version as a vob file that can be found on a computer that has a dvd drive.

Old 01-30-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...44&postcount=9
the more recent recalled ed wood is still appearing on shelves at best buy al the time.

there are 2 versions one has a silver spine one has a black.

i think the silver spine is the recalled version.

btw the doc is reported to be on the new after recall version as a vob file that can be found on a computer that has a dvd drive.

Old 02-19-06, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slowcloud
That's a common misconception. Some light gray (not silver) spines do not have the cross-dressing documentary and are worth just as much as the newer black spine version, also without the doc. I have first-hand experience with this, and it's a well known fact on several threads that bring up this DVD. The DVDs with light gray spines (recalled and reissued), case text, disc and all are identical. It's a good idea to snatch one up at Gamestop and test it out, as they have a customer-friendly return policy, within a week.
I saw an Ed Wood dvd brand new and sealed at my Blockbuster, and it had a silver spine that was kind of holo-graphic/shiny. So, just to clarify, thats the OOP and rare one, and the newer ones have a black spine? Or did I mix it up somewhere?
Old 02-19-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
I saw an Ed Wood dvd brand new and sealed at my Blockbuster, and it had a silver spine that was kind of holo-graphic/shiny. So, just to clarify, thats the OOP and rare one, and the newer ones have a black spine? Or did I mix it up somewhere?
Silver spine - non rare
Black spine - Rare / OOP

At least, that's what makes sense - I see the silver spined ones in stacks everywhere.

Now, how rare are these discs, and how much do they normally pull down?
Old 02-19-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why yes I am! Whats your username on gamefaqs? If you posted in my topic, I'll rate yours next so you dont have to wait in line so long.

Sorry for being off topic, I hope I didn't break any rules. If so, I'll delete this post.
Yeah, it's best to keep these messages as PMs.

Anyway, back to Ed Wood rare:

Black or silver/gray (depends on your opinion as to the shade). Either could have the deleted documentary or not. All are supposed to have it encoded if you have a DVDROM and search for a certain file, which was mentioned a few posts earlier. The earlier versions have it via common access through the special features menu. Those were the ones that were recalled, but you can't tell without opening it to see, anyway.

Last edited by slowcloud; 02-19-06 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-19-06, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Silver spine - non rare
Black spine - Rare / OOP

At least, that's what makes sense - I see the silver spined ones in stacks everywhere.
Completely INCORRECT. The black spine was the mass-market non-recalled version.

For the last time, the RECALLED version had the light-grey spine - END OF STORY. However, some say that there are now grey-spine copies out there that no longer have the recalled disc inside. But that doesn't change the FACT that the recalled version had the light grey spine.
Old 02-19-06, 06:33 PM

Ok, so is there any other way to tell besides the spine? Will that doc be listed on the back of the recalled ones?
Old 02-19-06, 06:51 PM

Ok, so is there any other way to tell besides the spine? Will that doc be listed on the back of the recalled ones?
Nope, the doc was never listed on the back of either version. I'd say go ahead and just snatch up that grey-spine one. Be a gamblin' man! Let us know how you make out.
Old 05-29-06, 09:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Up to the top. With Summer, time to cash in!
Old 05-30-06, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Up to the top. With Summer, time to cash in!
Cool to see this thread revived. But I do not understand this post. What's the name of the DVD that's OOP you're cashing in on?

As for my recent experience for worthwhile OOP DVDs:

If you come across the Brideshead Revisited DVD TV set, grab it. I found some new at Borders for liek $80, but I sold them for $170.

Hmm... what else...

Oh, recently Out of Print but have always been scarce: Kino's Careful and two Brother's Quay DVDs: (the shorts collection and Institute Benjamente). They go for a bit over $50. It also seems all of Pedro Almodovar's DVDs seem OOP in region one now! Some of the recent ones released by Sony Classics are easy to find still, if they don't get reissued within a year, they're bound to gain some value.

I can't think of much else but things back in print:

Out of Sight has been reissued and Double Indemnity and This Island Earth will soon be reissued, not to mention all those Bond DVDs (though still yet to be officially announced in the U.S.), which used to appear often locally but were always worth reselling.

What are others experiences out there like?

Last edited by slowcloud; 05-30-06 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-30-06, 06:10 AM

Here's a few OOP titles that can fetch some decent $$$ and which I don't think have been mentioned in this thread yet:

And years after its original release, this "Limited Edition" has finally become scarce (lowest price on Amazon for a new copy = $65.56):

Last edited by Yahoo Sirius; 05-30-06 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-30-06, 01:59 PM

The Buffy Chosen Collection seems to have gone up in price judging from eBay. They have been selling for about $200. So if you see a good deal on it, you may want to pick it up.
Old 05-30-06, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for that update Yahoo Sirius!

I stuck my Suspiria LE (new) on eBay this afternoon for a BIN of $49.99 + $5/shipping and I just had a buyer for it. The last time I checked this DVD was going for around $15 or less.
Old 06-08-06, 11:12 PM

some stuff from my collection

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.