Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Secret Life Of Walter Mitty? Where IS Danny Kaye?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-04, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance of a Danny Kaye DVD box set? I'd like to get Secret Life Of Walter Mitty among others. I can't believe some of the classics get overlooked while I sit here watching Backlash : Oblivioin 2.
Old 07-29-04, 04:07 AM
Suspended

I found him for you:

Last edited by Forum Troll; 07-29-04 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-29-04, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is that really where he's buried?
Those benches are great. I highly recommend getting one at your grave if you want anyone to visit.
Old 07-29-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Secret Life Of Walter Mitty? Where IS Danny Kaye?

Originally posted by TheV
Any chance of a Danny Kaye DVD box set? I'd like to get Secret Life Of Walter Mitty among others. I can't believe some of the classics get overlooked while I sit here watching Backlash : Oblivioin 2.
According to dvdpricesearch, this was released on DVD by HBO, but has gone OOP. I'd love to have this and Wonder Man (also now OOP).
Old 07-29-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it possible that they're discontinued in expectation of something better?
Old 07-29-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was gone before I could find one. It was only officially in print for 6 months. Doubtful it was in stores half that time.

And Wonder Man would be great too! I don't think many people remember Danny's funny films...just his guest starring roles and Hans...which is more for kids than the rest.
Old 07-29-04, 05:30 PM

I'm pretty sure The Court Jester is still available from Paramount, and there's a decent (but not great) version of The Inspector General from the Roan Group. I think MGM still has the rights to the Samuel Goldwyn films (Walter Mitty, Wonder Man, Up in Arms, The Kid from Brooklyn, and A Song is Born).
Old 07-29-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both The Court Jester and White Christmas are still in print via Paramount, as is MGM's release of Hans Christian Anderson. (As previously mentioned, The Inspector General has been released by various public domain companies, with the Roam version judged by most to feature the best transfer.)

Unfortunately, none of Kaye's early films for Goldwyn (Up in Arms, Wonder Man, etc...) are currently in print in R1, nor has Paramount released his personal favorite, Knock on Wood.
Old 07-29-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dinsdale piranha
I think MGM still has the rights to the Samuel Goldwyn films (Walter Mitty, Wonder Man, Up in Arms, The Kid from Brooklyn, and A Song is Born).
Actually Walter Mitty and Wonder Man was released for a month by HBO and then promptly went OOP. Which is what prompted the post since those are two that I really want. I appreciate Hans Christian Anderson & White Christmas and The Court Jester is good. The problem is that it's the films that aren't released or are OOP are the ones that I really like from Danny Kaye.
Old 08-10-04, 09:26 AM

I owned a copy of THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY, watched it a couple of times and then sold it when I noticed it was OOP and fetched about $90. I figured it would reappear again by the time I really had a hankering to watch it. That was probably a year ago now. Still nothing yet.

As I recall, the video quality on the OOP version from HBO was okay, but nowhere near perfect. Would really like to see a new transfer and reissue.
Old 08-10-04, 10:22 AM

Some of his movies never appeared on VHS let alone DVD. Man from the Dinner's Club for example. It is only available in bootleg version.
Austin
Old 08-10-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally posted by dinsdale piranha
I'm pretty sure The Court Jester is still available from Paramount, and there's a decent (but not great) version of The Inspector General from the Roan Group. I think MGM still has the rights to the Samuel Goldwyn films (Walter Mitty, Wonder Man, Up in Arms, The Kid from Brooklyn, and A Song is Born).
You are correct about MGM having the rights to Sam Goldwyn films.
Most of these films are currently not available on DVD. Those that are such as Guys and Dolls , The Best Years Years of Our Lives, and
Pride of the Yankees ( Sorry no Danny Kaye films) were originally released by HBO and then rereleased by MGM . Perhaps if Warner Bros is successful
in purchasing MGM we will get great releases of these films and the wait will be worth it.
Old 08-10-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really liked the Kid from Brooklyn when I was growing up and would stop and watch it whenever it came on. I snap it up in a second if it was on DVD.
Old 08-10-04, 02:51 PM

I think there's a remake of "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" in the works with Jim Carrey so maybe the studio's idea is to wait to release that DVD as an eventual tie-in?